Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version 91866 Likes Search this Thread
08-12-2016, 12:00 PM - 1 Like   #22831

Photos: Gallery | Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by KevinR Quote
Wow, you have really gotten that old legend to perform. I have achieved good sharpness out of my Tak SMC 500/4.5 (same optics), but nothing like you have achieved. Also normally a fair bit of CA as well. And a real monster to handle.

Really liked the Golden Eagles shots. Would like to know your "secrets"..!!
Thank you. The Bald Eagles in the previous post back were shot in the morning sun behind the back.
K-50 with SMC 500mm f/4.5 setup on tripod (I only shoot this lens on tripod). Settings in "M" mode. I prefocus with aperture wide open to nail it sharp,
then I close the lens to around f11 - f16 (in sunny days), then push the green button. With K-50 I try to stay bellow ISO 800, preferably ISO 400 or less.
If the ISO is high after "Green button" pushed then I open aperture one click and take another reading. Another words I like to keep aperture between
f8 - f16 if I can. Another important part is to keep exposure in the middle (using histogram). Not overexposing. You have to play with it to find the right amount. It might be different with different camera. If I need I dial few click to plus or minus in "Exposure Compensation" If you make any changes like compensation etc, make sure you push the green button before taking the shot.
Another words pushing "Green Button" and look at the data right before taking the shot and if all is OK push the trigger . It sounds complicated, but it is really simple.
It really is an awesome lens for the money, but it need some time to master it to get sharp and color rich images.
After you using the lens for a while it will become natural to get good results. I am so used to it, it only take me a second or so the setup exposure.

I hope this help you with your lens.

08-12-2016, 12:34 PM   #22832
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by vcollerp Quote
Hi Kevin
Thanks
Have not seen you around for a long time.
Indeed, it's been a long dry season since KNP with long lenses. But have gained some inspiration this past long weekend again.

QuoteOriginally posted by cleaverx Quote
Thank you. The Bald Eagles in the previous post back were shot in the morning sun behind the back.
K-50 with SMC 500mm f/4.5 setup on tripod (I only shoot this lens on tripod). Settings in "M" mode. I prefocus with aperture wide open to nail it sharp,....
Thanks for this advice. Light angle and exposure are tips I need to work on some time. Will be a challenge worth it some time as I am working with the less sharp and light hungry Sigma 170-500 while encouraging the wife into photography by letting her use the K3 and DA*300+DA-1.4x which is a very easy combination to work with.
08-12-2016, 08:09 PM - 11 Likes   #22833
Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Some shots from the last few days, mule buck browsing, one of the young Great Horned Owlets just starting to grow its "horns", a kestrel having lunch and a Northern Harrier taken in the late day sun. Sig 500
Attached Images
View Picture EXIF
PENTAX K-3  Photo 
View Picture EXIF
PENTAX K-3  Photo 
View Picture EXIF
PENTAX K-3  Photo 
View Picture EXIF
PENTAX K-3  Photo 
08-12-2016, 08:15 PM   #22834

QuoteOriginally posted by rkappleby Quote
Some shots from the last few days, mule buck browsing, one of the young Great Horned Owlets just starting to grow its "horns", a kestrel having lunch and a Northern Harrier taken in the late day sun. Sig 500
Whow what a shots. I love especialy the Kestrel. Nice job.

08-12-2016, 10:24 PM - 4 Likes   #22835

Some Great Blue Heron shots.
K-50 with SMC A 400mm f/5.6

08-13-2016, 05:01 AM   #22836
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

The kestrel image is especially nice, perfect combination of sharp, colorful bird and smooth bokeh that sets him off perfectly.
08-13-2016, 07:56 AM   #22837
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Thanks for sharing ! Nice work .

08-13-2016, 08:31 AM   #22838
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by cleaverx Quote
Some Great Blue Heron shots.
K-50 with SMC A 400mm f/5.6
Some superb shots here. I agree with WPRESTO that the Kestrel is a really notable image. I am a fan of Great Blue Herons, and seldom have been able to capture one well. Great shooting both of you.
08-13-2016, 10:27 AM - 7 Likes   #22839
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery
A few from yesterday.

These otters swam pass just when I arrived.

A young Eastern Kingbird.

Green Heron. They are so abundant this year.

Lesser yellowleg with food in beak.

Killdeer. There are also lots of them.

Wilson's Snipe

Green Heron. A successful catch.

Solitary Sandpiper
08-13-2016, 10:49 AM   #22840
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Fine set. Especially like the otters and the green heron catching a fish.
08-13-2016, 11:24 AM   #22841
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by WPRESTO Quote
Fine set. Especially like the otters and the green heron catching a fish.
Thank you. I see the otters about once a year but never been able to get good pictures.
08-13-2016, 11:51 AM - 9 Likes   #22842
Veteran Member

Some with the Sigma 170-500 DG and K-5 at Intaka Island bird sanctuary in Century City development in Cape Town. The lens needs to be stopped down a lot (f/9.5-f/13 my normal working range) to get reasonable sharpness at distance, but otherwise renders colors and OoF fairly well.

Red Bishop

LBJ? / Cisticola

White Brested Cormorant

Pied Kingfisher

Grey Heron

08-13-2016, 12:10 PM - 5 Likes   #22843
Pentaxian

Young wild boar , can't hold his (her) (buy?girl?) excitement of being photographers by a Pentax K1 for the first time.
Attached Images
View Picture EXIF
PENTAX K-1  Photo 
08-13-2016, 12:14 PM - 5 Likes   #22844
Veteran Member

And some Flamingos from Milnerton Lagoon with K3 and DA*300 + DA-1.4x TC

08-13-2016, 12:18 PM - 5 Likes   #22845

Here are some shots from today. Top shot of Bald Eagle with clear eye and then shot of Bald Eagle with nictitating membrane closed. Nice to see the cropping ability of K-1.
Some birds, amphibians, reptiles, fish, and mammals have three eyelids – two similar to ours, and a third translucent or transparent eyelid, called a nictitating membrane. This membrane moves horizontally from the inside corner to the outer edge of the eye, much like a windshield wiper, when needed for protection, to clear debris, or to moisten the eye.

Shot with K-1 and SMC 500mm f/4.5

Normal clear eye

And now with nictitating membrane closed. You can see the veins in it.