Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
10-14-2016, 09:30 AM - 8 Likes   #23521
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery
Another of my DFA 150-450 images has gotten some airplay around San Francisco and even has its own internet controversy brewing at the moment:

Is this Blue Angels photo from Lombard Street too good to be true? - SFGate

Angels Over Lombard

and this:

Angels Over Lombard, Photo Sequence

Last edited by mikeSF; 10-14-2016 at 11:09 AM.
10-14-2016, 09:35 AM   #23522
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery | Albums
Awesome image.... nice work.
10-14-2016, 10:03 AM   #23523
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

What Norm said.
10-14-2016, 10:43 AM   #23524
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by mikeSF Quote
. . . has its own internet controversy brewing at the moment:
Ya got it, Mike! Those that care, know. Go BAs!.

It was either excellent timing . . . or excellent PP skills! Either way, both to be commended.

10-14-2016, 11:00 AM - 1 Like   #23525
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by normhead Quote
I don't think anyone is ever offended by anything in here, except for maybe loud farts.
If that's the case, then let me tell you what I saw and heard at the zoo last weekend. The rhinos usually stand around doing nothing, but this time one was wallowing in the mud and blasted a fart loud enough you might have heard it in Canada. I don't suspect I'll ever experience that again... I feel fortunate.
10-14-2016, 11:45 AM   #23526
Pentaxian

mikeSF Neat shot!

I like seeing your long shots of other than wildlife.
10-14-2016, 12:26 PM   #23527
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Happily, those three fighters were all ours (USA that is)! Nice timing!

10-14-2016, 12:40 PM - 6 Likes   #23528
Pentaxian

I managed to sneek up on this Common Buzzard a couple of times. From the car with my K-5/FA*600mmF4ED[IF]/Eckla window mount

10-14-2016, 01:16 PM - 1 Like   #23529
Pentaxian

What we call Buzzards over here Gary (Turkey Vultures) and a lonely Robin. Visitors to our county Wellness Center this overcast morning.They must have counted my leg presses. A/400 at 400mm. (Exif incorrect)
Attached Images
View Picture EXIF
PENTAX K-3  Photo 
View Picture EXIF
PENTAX K-3  Photo 
View Picture EXIF
PENTAX K-3  Photo 
10-14-2016, 01:48 PM - 3 Likes   #23530
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Albums
Caught these Brant passing through on Lake Ontario this morning.

As I was taking the pics this Rusty Blackbird came along the beach, not paying much attention to me. Problem was, the closer it got the harsher the backlighting.

K-3, DA*300mm, 1.4xTC

Last edited by jacamar; 10-14-2016 at 02:05 PM.
10-14-2016, 02:27 PM   #23531
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by Nicolas06 Quote
To be honest Ian Stuart Forsyth, your watermark ruin the image for me. I see only that... I get you want to protect your photos, but if it too aggressive, it make the photo far less pleasant (for me) to look at.
I also think that basically, with a bit of processing, a thief could likely entirely remove it, because it is transparent: the original image is still there anyway.
A lesson from the deviant
Back some time ago I had went online to the Canada photo club a long time member and ask a few there what would be the best crop for entering a photography of a Great horned owl shot in 2005 to Nature photography magazine ( I was contributor for several years) . Along with several crops I also provide a large copy for people to crop as what they felt as better composition and valued their wisdom.
One of the members pointed me to the direction of someone selling that very image on Deviant Art site a few weeks later. The seller of the image profusely argued that the photograph was taken by him and that it was his work even after I submitted work uploaded ( to stock photos years before )with variations taken of the owl on the same stump in the same light, years before his posting at DA. After a heated exchange I contacted DA to takedown the images.
At this time I several thing going in the fire, one of the important was people interested in some beach photograph that were going to be used in a hamlet brochure. I directed them to I stock for as they had the rights to the images for sales. Another was the submission to the NPM ( the owl photo)that usually takes 6 months to get anything published. I get a notification that my I stock account was frozen because of depute with ownership of several of my photos. Now this imposed a rather large problem as the beach photographs are sold via this account and tied up this until things got straightened out and which never did until after the deadline of the needed beach photo. I have no proof that it was the Divaint Art member that logged the complaint but I find it odd that the images in question were that of the owl.

There are a few people out there that even when caught a lie will argue to the death to hold onto their made up online persona, it’s not hard to find them.
False Aligations: Open Talk Forum: Digital Photography Review
“Before you go and accuse with false alligations, check your facts. I have every negative, slide and raw image file of everything I own and shot.” Studio Hera Bell

It’s not the theft of the images that bothers me but rather how they will be used ( others taking credit)

Now this imposes a problem I can upload images to the web in small resolutions to help combat it, but this really defeats the purpose of photographing for me. Or I can upload large images with watermarks save me some future aggravation and share my work.
10-14-2016, 03:21 PM - 1 Like   #23532
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by mikeSF Quote
Another of my DFA 150-450 images
The other DFA 150-450 pictures in your Flickr album might not be as controversial, but their brilliance and sharpness is very impressive. Especially the closeup of the Blue Angels and your moon shot, even a great photographer can't get those kind of results unless s/he is working with excellent glass.
10-14-2016, 03:37 PM   #23533
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by RGlasel Quote
even a great photographer can't get those kind of results unless s/he is working with excellent glass.
I agree. Funny though others on this forum think you can get the same results using cheap glass because they have quote unquote "talent" LOL.
10-14-2016, 04:03 PM - 1 Like   #23534
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by Ian Stuart Forsyth Quote
A lesson from the deviant
Back some time ago I had went online to the Canada photo club a long time member and ask a few there what would be the best crop for entering a photography of a Great horned owl shot in 2005 to Nature photography magazine ( I was contributor for several years) . Along with several crops I also provide a large copy for people to crop as what they felt as better composition and valued their wisdom.
One of the members pointed me to the direction of someone selling that very image on Deviant Art site a few weeks later. The seller of the image profusely argued that the photograph was taken by him and that it was his work even after I submitted work uploaded ( to stock photos years before )with variations taken of the owl on the same stump in the same light, years before his posting at DA. After a heated exchange I contacted DA to takedown the images.
At this time I several thing going in the fire, one of the important was people interested in some beach photograph that were going to be used in a hamlet brochure. I directed them to I stock for as they had the rights to the images for sales. Another was the submission to the NPM ( the owl photo)that usually takes 6 months to get anything published. I get a notification that my I stock account was frozen because of depute with ownership of several of my photos. Now this imposed a rather large problem as the beach photographs are sold via this account and tied up this until things got straightened out and which never did until after the deadline of the needed beach photo. I have no proof that it was the Divaint Art member that logged the complaint but I find it odd that the images in question were that of the owl.

There are a few people out there that even when caught a lie will argue to the death to hold onto their made up online persona, it’s not hard to find them.
False Aligations: Open Talk Forum: Digital Photography Review
“Before you go and accuse with false alligations, check your facts. I have every negative, slide and raw image file of everything I own and shot.” Studio Hera Bell

It’s not the theft of the images that bothers me but rather how they will be used ( others taking credit)

Now this imposes a problem I can upload images to the web in small resolutions to help combat it, but this really defeats the purpose of photographing for me. Or I can upload large images with watermarks save me some future aggravation and share my work.
I have no issue with your watermarks. In fact they are well executed; the accomplish what you want without preventing me from enjoying your great work.

In fact, I think the complaint was out of place. Post your work. I know how hard it is to master long lens shots, and the stuff we see here ranges from anywhere along the learning curve.

I got a private message from someone who posted on this thread who was not going to put up with the negative and combative comments. This is a long standing thread, many years and many excellent shots, and a welcoming place. Let's keep it that way.
10-14-2016, 05:04 PM   #23535
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Great, just Great! Another lens I have to look for!

Regards,