Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
01-31-2017, 10:01 AM - 5 Likes   #24511
csa
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by luftfluss Quote
500/8 mirror can be tough to use in less than bright light - I know, I have an MTO 500/8. Did the cardinal move while you shot him?
Also taking the image thru a glass door/window degrades the image. I have the Tamron 500 mirror, and love it; but it has it's limits.

This was taken, handheld with K3.

01-31-2017, 10:04 AM   #24512
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery | Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by jacamar Quote
Certainly enough to show what an impressive bird the Harlequin is - my old Peterson field guide says it's "dark and bizarre", which comes close! I think ours might be the bird I photographed last year in its first year plumage. I'll try again later this week.
Best of luck!
I'd love to get a clean sharp shot with him in good light...
I was there at the right time too, about 45 minutes prior to sunset. It was just pure grey cloudy skies though.
01-31-2017, 10:29 AM - 2 Likes   #24513
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by UserAccessDenied Quote
Great shots!
How long after laying seed do they show up?
Do you ever use recordings or calls?
The Chickadees and Nuthatches will come and try and get the seed from my hand before I scatter it. People come and go all day long feeding these birds. There is competition to see who gets there first.

I mix up a special Grey Jay mix, that contains chopped nuts, peanuts in the shell that they can cache, Chicken Rice dog food (because they are also carrion feeders) chunks of bread (what the park rangers use to attract them on tours) and chopped bits of good ol Canadian cheddar cheese, which some of the Grey Jay study people use to attract them.)

So, I've spread the food for the Blue Jays, Chickadees , etc, which contains corn, millet, black oil sunflower seeds and peanuts as well, and they were all digging in.

Apart from being really cute these are really clever birds. It works for me, because I carefully note what they pick, to tell what their preference of the day is.

This guy is sitting 8 feet away from me in a tree. He knows the special Grey jay mix is on the car seat and he's not going to touch the other bird food until he's had a chance to see what's in the special Grey Jay container. You wouldn't want to pig out on crap before the good stuff gets here would you?

He gets to sit on the container (which I hold in my hand) and take his pick before it gets spread on the ground for the others.

It works for me, partly because I can closely monitor what they are eating, which helps me decide what to put in their care packages as I prepare to head out, next time I go.

This time of year I try to go on less popular days. The birds are used to being fed. I like to go on days when few others if any are likely to turn up and feed them.

Last edited by normhead; 01-31-2017 at 11:05 AM.
01-31-2017, 10:46 AM   #24514
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by normhead Quote
The Chickadees and Nuthatches will come and try and get the seed from my hand before I scatter it. People come and go all day long feeding these birds. There is competition to see who gets there first.

I mix up a special Grey Jay mix, that contains chopped nuts, peanuts in the shell that they can cache, Chicken Rice dog food (because they are also carrion feeders) chunks of bread (what the park rangers use to attract them on tours) and chopped bits of good ol Canadian cheddar cheese, which some of the Grey Jay study people use to attract them.)

So, I've spread the food for the Blue Jays, Chickadees , etc, which contains corn, millet, black oil sunflower seeds and peanuts as well, and they were all digging in.

Apart from being really cute these are really clever birds. It works for me, because I carefully note what they pick, to tell what their preference of the day is.

This guy is sitting 8 feet away from me in a tree. He knows the special Grey jay mix is on the car seat and he's not going to touch the other bird food until he's had a chance to see what's in the special Grey Jay container. You wouldn't want to pig out on crap before the good stuff gets here would you?

He gets to sit on the container and take his pick before it gets spread on the ground for the others.

It works for me, partly because I can closely monitor what they are eating, which helps me decide what to put in their care packages as I prepare to head out, next time I go.
fascinating!
That's a lot of work on your part as well...
These birds eat better than me on some days it seems!

01-31-2017, 10:57 AM   #24515
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery
There have been several Harlequins along the south shore of Lake Ontario this year. One seemed to be hanging around Mexico Point and Sunset Bay...I don't have the time to go chasing them.

2 years ago there was one in Oswego Harbor and I went up to see it...but that was a really cold winter and everything was frozen except the river under the dams...
01-31-2017, 12:21 PM - 4 Likes   #24516
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by boriscleto Quote
There have been several Harlequins along the south shore of Lake Ontario this year. One seemed to be hanging around Mexico Point and Sunset Bay...I don't have the time to go chasing them.

2 years ago there was one in Oswego Harbor and I went up to see it...but that was a really cold winter and everything was frozen except the river under the dams...
Such Harlequins as I've seen, on trips not locally, seem to be fond of moving, turbulent water, either fast flowing or waves.

---------- Post added 01-31-17 at 02:24 PM ----------

QuoteOriginally posted by UserAccessDenied Quote
Where did you get these shots?
Did you see them in the wild?

Here's a secretary bird the way they are commonly seen, walking/stalking through the grass looking down in search of lizards and snakes. We saw them primarily in Kenya - don't recall offhand if we also saw them during the brief time we were in Tanzania.
Attached Images
View Picture EXIF
PENTAX K-3  Photo 

Last edited by WPRESTO; 01-31-2017 at 04:23 PM.
01-31-2017, 02:38 PM   #24517
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by WPRESTO Quote
Secretary bird atop its overnight roosting spot - taken very near sundown.
Cool! I'd never heard of a "Secretary bird" before. I like your second image, too.

01-31-2017, 02:40 PM   #24518
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by csa Quote
Also taking the image thru a glass door/window degrades the image. I have the Tamron 500 mirror, and love it; but it has it's limits.

This was taken, handheld with K3.
Yay for the return of angry bunny!
01-31-2017, 03:01 PM - 4 Likes   #24519
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Since a few of us are talking mirror lenses, I figured I'd post a quartet from my Zenit MTO 500/8, which according to factory measurements done in 1970, is actually 548/8.8

Last edited by luftfluss; 01-31-2017 at 03:07 PM.
01-31-2017, 03:20 PM   #24520
csa
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Yes, the angry bunny came back!

Those are great images, I really love the last one! It looks like the third one just saw the angry bunny!
01-31-2017, 04:22 PM   #24521
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Watching the tiny goslings report to mama for naptime was one of the cutest things ever. I literally tiptoed away, I didn't want to disturb them.
01-31-2017, 07:44 PM - 5 Likes   #24522
Veteran Member

Photos: Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by WPRESTO Quote
Here's a secretary bird the way they are commonly seen, walking/stalking through the grass looking down in search of lizards and snakes. We saw them primarily in Kenya - don't recall offhand if we also saw them during the brief time we were in Tanzania.
Any more photos of Secretarybirds? They're at the top of my bird list and I doubt I'll make it out of North America in the next few years. I need to live vicariously through someone

These were pretty high on my "must see" list of birds. No regrets about selling the 560 for the Sigma 500!
01-31-2017, 08:41 PM - 4 Likes   #24523
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by Kameko Quote
Any more photos of Secretarybirds? They're at the top of my bird list and I doubt I'll make it out of North America in the next few years. I need to live vicariously through someone
Here's one last image of a Secretary bird, another one settling into a treetop overnight roost (among the nasty thorns of an acacia!). This is not the same individual in either previous post, but it covers the three that I photographed. I have maybe 10~15 images of each one, but it gets pretty boring to see one after another image of the same bird, first his head turned this way, then that way, then this way, then that way, right leg forward, left leg forward, right leg - - you get the idea.
Attached Images
View Picture EXIF
PENTAX K-3  Photo 
02-01-2017, 02:06 AM - 15 Likes   #24524
Pentaxian

My 1st birding session this yr after no shooting of birds for few months.
I've shot this migratory bird, Hooded Pitta with K5/K5-IIs/K3 but have not shot with K1 before.
The below shots were taken with K1 at iso 400-800, and it seems like iso 100-200 on K3/K5 series.
So far for the past few years the pics I took for this bird is on the ground or the most on the rock/log but this time it's on the branches, a rare perch for this specie of bird.

#3 on the ground
02-01-2017, 02:16 AM   #24525
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by kengoh Quote
My 1st birding session this yr after no shooting of birds for few months.
I've shot this migratory bird, Hooded Pitta with K5/K5-IIs/K3 but have not shot with K1 before.
The below shots were taken with K1 at iso 400-800, and it seems like iso 100-200 on K3/K5 series.
So far for the past few years the pics I took for this bird is on the ground or the most on the rock/log but this time it's on the branches, a rare perch for this specie of bird.
Very nice series Ken!