Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
02-12-2017, 12:17 PM   #24661
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery
QuoteOriginally posted by RockvilleBob Quote
From a kayak outing into the dense Mangrove canals in the Everglades. Went out with two cameras, Pentax K-3 w/DA 15-60 and Nikon with Sigma Sport 150-600. The first two are wide angle shots to illustrate the setting, the rest are 300+ shots. The dense mangrove made focus tough plus you are in a moving kayak.
you were in the viewfinder of the crocodile :-)

---------- Post added 12-02-17 at 20:20 ----------

QuoteOriginally posted by Kameko Quote
Baldie in flight on my 2nd day shooting with the new camera
Clean shot.

02-12-2017, 12:39 PM - 1 Like   #24662
Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by woodywesty Quote
I'm hoping that I can get some recommendations here or suggestions of another thread on the forum for answers. This past year I've purchased both a Sigma 300mm 2.8 and Sigma 500mm 4.5 from forum members and both lens appear to be in near mint condition. My first goal in getting back into photography after 25 years away from SLR photography is to photograph birds. This 300mm thread has been a wonderful learning experience about technique and tools which is why I chose these two particular lenses. A number of outstanding photographers here use these two lenses and produce some of the most beautiful, razor sharp photographs. I have a K3 and a K3ll and am still in the learning curve of digital photography but am getting some of the basics sorted out. The 500mm lens is reasonably sharp but I suspect isn't 100% matching up with the camera body to give really sharp pictures but its close enough that it might just be my limitations. The pictures I see posted here often are so sharp as to be nearly unbelievable. I know that this is a combination of all the gear operating at its best as well as great skill of the photographer. I'm probably a long way from that level of ability so the 500mm lens might be tack sharp and I'm not. The 300mm, 2.8 though is way off. I've struggled trying to do fine focus in camera adjustments in my home at a distance of 25 feet using a meter scale at a 45 degree angle. Once I get the lens adjusted I can go outside (where it is very cold this time of year) and shoot objects like wooden fences and roof parts that are 15 to 30 feet away and the lens seems pretty sharp. When I drive to the local river where there is no ice I can shoot Mallards from 50 to 60 feet away (makes them pretty small) and when I enlarge the pics on the back of the camera they are ALL way out of focus. I've been fiddling with this for a week now and am nearly burned out and am hoping someone can point me to an exact method of adjusting big telephoto lenses. Anybody have any ideas? Anybody in the US that can do this precisely?

Thanks, Bob
Hi Bob! It's such a downer when you work so hard to get sharp shots and find many OOF. I have hundreds. No, wait, thousands.

It sounds, from this and your later posts, that you've taken all the usual precautions and learning some new ones (like BBF, etc.). Some of that sounds like it's helping. And I see that some folks have offered their ideas, too. Here's my $.02:

I don't know about that 300 and whether the lens itself is off. Could be. The only way to know that will be when you can take a bunch of shots with lots of light, your heaviest tripod/gimbal setup, very high shutter speed, and dead-still subjects at increasing distances from the lens without moving it. If you find that your results match your field results (as in, sharp closer in, OOF farther out), either the focusing mechanism is off OR this is happening: You mention shooting mallards at 50-60 feet away and finding them not sharp when cropped close. I will offer that I don't shoot anything live at 60 feet with a 300mm lens. In my opinion, that's just too far away, forcing such a close crop that you're going to magnify the results of any slight movement too many times to get any real sharpness.

The other piece of advice I would offer, after you've done all the basic things to minimize camera movement is this: I now shoot at much higher shutter speeds than we might normally think of as adequate, precisely because long shots are so easily blurred by the slightest movement of camera or subject. 1/2000, 3000, 4000, 5000, 6000... I try to take advantage of our higher available ISOs, preferring to deal with a little grain in post, if necessary, than to risk a whole card full of blurred shots.

I will also add that I think our perspective is somewhat skewed about the percentage of ultra-sharp wildlife shots we're actually seeing. There are many, many shots on this forum and elsewhere that aren't anywhere near tack-sharp. The ones that are - you know, when you say, "Wow!!" - are either a) made by very experienced people who are on the downside of the learning curve OR b) the one photo that made the grade out of perhaps several hundred that didn't OR c) a really lucky shot. I know my Lightroom catalogue is full of the ones that didn't make it.

I keep planning to end this and then think of one more thing... I have a cupboard full of lenses and, in some cases, multiples of the same lens. The multiples have taught me a real lesson in variability: one lens produces consistently sharp images while the other, its twin, will not. If you find your lenses are not producing for you after they've been tuned and you're controlling for all the variables, swap 'em out. Or stick with the one(s) that work and offload the others.

Good luck working with your new techniques and don't be too hard on yourself. I occasionally hit myself over the head for how crappy my shots are from a whole day of shooting and then remind myself that I was shooting from a kayak or other floating platform and, gee, maybe I should expect some movement? When I'm on solid ground, with the right lens and following all the rules, including high s/s, it works. Except for BIFs. That's a total crap shoot!
02-12-2017, 04:48 PM - 18 Likes   #24663
Veteran Member

A couple of recent Eagles.
02-12-2017, 05:39 PM - 6 Likes   #24664
Veteran Member

mule deer, grand canyon np

Last edited by nomadkng; 05-05-2017 at 09:31 AM.
02-12-2017, 05:41 PM - 7 Likes   #24665
Pentaxian

Nice! I like the lighting of the first and the 'pose' of the second image. I tried to get some eagle pics recently and all I got was squat.

But I did get a snow goose goose-stepping around the park!

Sigma 150-500 on a K5ii
02-12-2017, 06:01 PM - 29 Likes   #24666
Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Cougar

Normally all I see are tracks from these guys..... we had about four feet of snow last weekend and it has made it pretty tough for the wildlife to get around. We have 25 odd wild turkeys that hang around close our home and I think they drew this guy in. He gave me a long hard look and decided I wasn't a threat and he continued stalking a couple of the turkeys. He flushed them but didn't have any luck and then he just melted away.
Attached Images
View Picture EXIF
PENTAX K-3  Photo 
View Picture EXIF
PENTAX K-3  Photo 
View Picture EXIF
PENTAX K-3  Photo 
02-12-2017, 06:19 PM   #24667
Veteran Member

Rkappleby this is awesome!!!
What next a Wolverine??

02-12-2017, 06:24 PM - 3 Likes   #24668
Forum Member

I love the photos on this thread. How many times can a guy photograph a cougar in the wild, exceptional experience. The bird photos always make me strive to be better with my mediocre equipment. I shot a few ducks today at the local park. These are all with my K-x and my DA 55-300. Some day I hope to get good at this.
Attached Images
View Picture EXIF
PENTAX K-x  Photo 
View Picture EXIF
PENTAX K-x  Photo 
View Picture EXIF
PENTAX K-x  Photo 
02-12-2017, 06:27 PM   #24669
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery | Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by rkappleby Quote
Normally all I see are tracks from these guys..... we had about four feet of snow last weekend and it has made it pretty tough for the wildlife to get around. We have 25 odd wild turkeys that hang around close our home and I think they drew this guy in. He gave me a long hard look and decided I wasn't a threat and he continued stalking a couple of the turkeys. He flushed them but didn't have any luck and then he just melted away.
Way too cool.
02-12-2017, 06:42 PM   #24670
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by dane.dawg Quote

Outstanding, especially the second image.

---------- Post added 02-12-17 at 08:44 PM ----------

Oh, that is such a beautiful, burly, healthy-looking cat.
02-12-2017, 07:14 PM - 8 Likes   #24671
Pentaxian

Wow, that is amazing. Great shots.

---------- Post added 02-12-17 at 06:16 PM ----------

Very nice!

---------- Post added 02-12-17 at 06:18 PM ----------

Bohemian Waxwing

02-12-2017, 08:19 PM   #24672
Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

What next a Wolverine??
Geez Travis a wolverine would kind of be the holy grail - but you should have them out in your country I'll let you show me one!!

QuoteOriginally posted by normhead Quote
Way too cool.
Norm - my thoughts exactly -what a treat

QuoteOriginally posted by WPRESTO Quote
Oh, that is such a beautiful, burly, healthy-looking cat.
Isn't he just gorgeous

QuoteOriginally posted by derekkite Quote
Wow, that is amazing. Great shots.
Thanks Derek - right time right place - kinda like some grizz shots I've seen you post - nice waxwing
02-12-2017, 09:28 PM   #24673
Veteran Member

Great shots! Be careful out there in case that big kitty mistakes you for a turkey next time.

02-12-2017, 11:16 PM   #24674
Man With A Camera
Loyal Site Supporter

Location: The Great Pacific Northwet, in the Land Between Canada and Mexico
Great shots, especially the first. That cat looks well fed, beautiful animal.

I have only seen paw prints in the sand at the riverbank behind my house, and found scat a few times along the path from the house to the river. I've seen bobcat a few times, one even walked a few feet from my door recently. By the time I grabbed the camera he was gone.
02-12-2017, 11:22 PM   #24675
Man With A Camera
Loyal Site Supporter

Location: The Great Pacific Northwet, in the Land Between Canada and Mexico
QuoteOriginally posted by gifthorse Quote
Nice! I like the lighting of the first and the 'pose' of the second image. I tried to get some eagle pics recently and all I got was squat.
Perfect timing.
« *Macro* lens club | - »