Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
04-16-2017, 08:21 PM   #25261
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by Kameko Quote
My first try at creating a composite using CS6. 4 consecutive images of a Belted Kingfisher hovering

I'd say you succeeded!! Well done!!

04-16-2017, 08:36 PM   #25262
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by ChipB Quote
I'd say you succeeded!! Well done!!
I agree whole heartedly!!
04-16-2017, 08:46 PM   #25263
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by Kameko Quote
My first try at creating a composite using CS6. 4 consecutive images of a Belted Kingfisher hovering

Excellent
04-17-2017, 02:51 AM   #25264
Seeker of Knowledge
Loyal Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by WPRESTO Quote
That's a really fine image of a bird that's considered an invasive pest in the USA. If Americans would take time to look, it's actually a rather attractive bird, especially when sunlight flashes on the iridescence of the feathers.

I must agree totally, I captured images of two posted in a different thread (b/c of using a non qualifying lens I used) and was amazed. I had never seen them in such beautiful plumage but rather in back with a purple tint to the head.

Inteligente's photo [ #25247 ] is fantastic

Last edited by aslyfox; 04-17-2017 at 02:57 AM.
04-17-2017, 03:09 AM   #25265
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by Aslyfox Quote
I must agree totally, I captured images of two posted in a different thread (b/c of using a non qualifying lens I used) and was amazed. I had never seen them in such beautiful plumage but rather in back with a purple tint to the head.

Inteligente's photo [ #25247 ] is fantastic
The two downsides of starlings: 1) they are very aggressive, and will displace many native birds from nesting holes* (bluebirds have suffered significantly); 2) they are very, very numerous, and too many of almost any organism always means trouble (that goes double for humans).

* I have a series of chromes of a pair of starlings trying to take over a nesting tree hole that was being excavated by pileated woodpeckers. When the woodpeckers were away, the starlings would bring in grass and debris for their nest. When the pileated returned, it would grab beaksfull of that stuff and throw it out of the hole, with a flip of the head that for all the world looked as if the woodpecker were disgusted by the mess. This back-and-forth continued for days until (I think) the woodpeckers had eggs and female was incubating. The woodpeckers hatched at least three eggs, one of the young perished early, two got to fledging of which one almost certainly survived. When they left the hole and were hanging out on various trees, one of those chicks was obviously much weaker than the other.
04-17-2017, 03:16 AM   #25266
Seeker of Knowledge
Loyal Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by WPRESTO Quote
The two downsides of starlings: 1) they are very aggressive, and will displace many native birds from nesting holes* (bluebirds have suffered significantly); 2) they are very, very numerous, and too many of almost any organism always means trouble (that goes double for humans).

* I have a series of chromes of a pair of starlings trying to take over a nesting tree hole that was being excavated by pileated woodpeckers. When the woodpeckers were away, the starlings would bring in grass and debris for their nest. When the pileated returned, it would grab beaksfull of that stuff and throw it out of the hole, with a flip of the head that for all the world looked as if the woodpecker were disgusted by the mess. This back-and-forth continued for days until (I think) the woodpeckers had eggs and female was incubating. The woodpeckers hatched at least three eggs, one of the young perished early, two got to fledging of which one almost certainly survived. When they left the hole and were hanging out on various trees, one of those chicks was obviously much weaker than the other.

I was drawn to the European Starling while photographing cheetahs at the Scovill Zoo in Decatur Illinois.

It flew across my line of sight, alit on a tree trunk and disappeared into a hole. I thought to myself that wasn't a woodpecker or flicker what was it?

I then started to photograph it and another that came in. the photos are posted in the wild life thread.

Your explanation now makes it clear what was happening. Thanks
04-17-2017, 07:11 AM - 5 Likes   #25267
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Albums
Easter Turkeys. K-3 with DA*300mm

04-17-2017, 07:13 AM - 2 Likes   #25268
Pentaxian

Awesome, we have one doing that, but he stays back up in the trees. No chance for a photo.

I have a few heavily cropped long shots from the Algonquin Park. The DA*60-250 with the 1.7x.

Common Mergansers

Hooded Mergansers

Song Sparow

Last edited by normhead; 04-17-2017 at 07:20 AM.
04-17-2017, 07:20 AM   #25269
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by normhead Quote
Awesome, we have one doing that, but he stays back up in the trees. No chance for a photo
Thanks Norm. The light was terrible so I took off the TC. Good job I did because otherwise it would have been hard to frame these - the first one isn't cropped at all, the second only slightly.
04-17-2017, 07:22 AM   #25270
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by jacamar Quote
Thanks Norm. The light was terrible so I took off the TC. Good job I did because otherwise it would have been hard to frame these - the first one isn't cropped at all, the second only slightly.
I'm sure the full size feather detail is amazing. These kinds of shots really suffer at web size.
04-17-2017, 08:17 AM - 10 Likes   #25271

Finally caught the Male away from the feeder, also realized my foto's looked like crap because I was not sizing them properly for this site, so lets see if properly sizing them helps because its never the operators fault...
Attached Images
View Picture EXIF
PENTAX K-3 II  Photo 
View Picture EXIF
PENTAX K-3 II  Photo 
04-17-2017, 02:58 PM - 1 Like   #25272
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery
DA* 300 + K3

Prothonotary Warbler

Been working the coastal areas between Seabrook, Tx and Galveston, Tx over the last 3 days. Here's a list of lifers I seen during that time.

fulvous whistling duck
indigo bunting
prothonatary warbler
hooded warbler
black and white warbler
blackpoll warbler
red eyed vireo
blue-headed vireo
bronzed cowbird
Wilsons Snipe
Pyrrhuloxia
Great Crested Flycatcher
Stilt Sandpiper
Eastern Kingbird
Tennessee Warbler
Brown-Headed Cowbird
04-17-2017, 04:14 PM - 2 Likes   #25273
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

K-3 and Sigma 150-500.
04-17-2017, 05:02 PM - 2 Likes   #25274
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Last reasonably good image of a hooded merganser obtained during my last outing.
Attached Images

04-17-2017, 05:21 PM - 9 Likes   #25275
Pentaxian

K-3 and Tamron SP AF 300 2.8 LD [IF] and HD DA 1.4 TC

640 ISO, ƒ5.6 AV )1/60s to 1/250s

The weather man promised some sun this afternoon, but it never happened. As far as I'm concerned the K-3 tops out a 640 ISO, so it was cranked right up. Shots tended to be selected on both pose but in a more basic sense for lack of motion blur. Often a 8 shot sequence only had one or two without motion blur.

One 300mm image, I had to take off the TC for this guy, he was too close.

All the rest at 420mm.

New today a White throated Sparrow. I haven't heard him sing yet, but he's here.

And of course, sitting on a tree branch just outside the blind looking in at me, wondering if there's going to be any more peanuts today. I had to move the tripod back 6 inches just to meet the minimum focussing distance.

Last edited by normhead; 04-17-2017 at 05:27 PM.