Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
04-17-2017, 05:32 PM - 7 Likes   #25276
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery | Albums
China Robin shot with K1 + DAL55-300
The bird is hiding in the bushes, I had a hard time to capture him as the focusing speed of this kit lens is not fast...

04-17-2017, 08:33 PM - 9 Likes   #25277
Pentaxian

I went to the big city for the first time in a couple of months to find vintage Porter-Cable sander and saw parts plus a visit to the $5 last chance bin at the B&M(Nikkor Ai F3.5 43-86 zoom for the F2) and decided to try and get over to see if the Ospreys were nesting near our last domicile. Gray clouds turned to dark gray and hence lots of shadow removal as everything was B/W in the viewfinder.........K-3 & A/400.
Attached Images
View Picture EXIF
PENTAX K-3  Photo 
View Picture EXIF
PENTAX K-3  Photo 
View Picture EXIF
PENTAX K-3  Photo 
04-18-2017, 05:59 AM - 5 Likes   #25278

Photos: Gallery
Common Yellowthroat:
04-18-2017, 07:40 AM - 12 Likes   #25279
Pentaxian

The Little pied flycatcher, a species of bird from the family of Muscicapidae. One of the flycatcher that I managed to record at my K70 sensor.

04-18-2017, 08:28 AM - 4 Likes   #25280
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by lukulele Quote
Ospreys were nesting near our last domicile
They must teach some of these poses in Beginning Osprey.

04-18-2017, 09:53 AM   #25281
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by Aslyfox Quote
That's a really fine image of a bird that's considered an invasive pest in the USA. If Americans would take time to look, it's actually a rather attractive bird, especially when sunlight flashes on the iridescence of the feathers.
AFAIK, it was actually introduced to the USA, possibly by the same character who wanted all the birds mentioned in Shakespeare to be there too. Their numbers are actually dwindling in the UK - would it be possible for someone to return all the starlings, and in return you may feel free to remove all the Canada Geese which are over here.
04-18-2017, 10:50 AM   #25282
Seeker of Knowledge
Loyal Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by 35mmfilmfan Quote
AFAIK, it was actually introduced to the USA, possibly by the same character who wanted all the birds mentioned in Shakespeare to be there too. Their numbers are actually dwindling in the UK - would it be possible for someone to return all the starlings, and in return you may feel free to remove all the Canada Geese which are over here.
I have heard the same story

in the same vein, rabbits were introduced to Australia for sport hunting, the story goes, and then they had to build a wee fence or two or three

" There are three fences in Western Australia: the original No. 1 Fence crosses the state from north to south, No. 2 Fence is smaller and further west, and No. 3 Fence is smaller still and runs east–west. The fences took six years to build. When completed in 1907, the rabbit-proof fence (including all three fences) stretched 2,023 miles (3,256 km). The cost to build the fences at the time was about £167 per mile ($250/km) " - https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Rabbit-proof_fence

not so sure how effective it has been

http://slwa.wa.gov.au/wepon/land/html/rabbits.html

BTW the Geese are members of the Commonwealth - Canada Goose, not the United States

04-18-2017, 10:52 AM - 8 Likes   #25283
Pentaxian

K-1 and F 1.7x AF Adapter
800 ISO or 1600 ISO, ƒ8 , AV

Still talking about Grackles are we? Well OK then. We also saw Starlings yesterday but they kept well away from the Grackles. Another Shakespeare import. I wonder if that guy knew what insanity he would inspire?

The rest of today's images
These guys hang out with the Grackles. The Gracks may be foreigners but according to the Redwinged Blackbirds they fit right in with the flock.

The detail you can maintain even with a crop on a small bird at a fair distance is phenomenal. It's more difficult, or perhaps even impossible to get the image, but if you get it, it's better, compared to any other Pentax body.

Last edited by normhead; 04-18-2017 at 11:02 AM.
04-18-2017, 11:10 AM   #25284
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by normhead Quote
K-1 and F 1.7x AF Adapter
800 ISO or 1600 ISO, ƒ8 , AV

Still talking about Grackles are we? Well OK then. We also saw Starlings yesterday but they kept well away from the Grackles. Another Shakespeare import. I wonder if that guy knew what insanity he would inspire?

The rest of today's images
These guys hang out with the Grackles. The Gracks may be foreigners but according to the Redwinged Blackbirds they fit right in with the flock.
Grackles are a native bird Norm The Red-winged Blackbird is in the same family ICTERIDAE...along with the Bobolink, Meadowlark, the New World Orioles and the other American Blackbirds...

Invasive species, apart from the Starling, would be the Mute Swan, House Sparrow, Eurasian Collard Dove, Rock Pigeon, and several types of Parrots & parakeets...there are some populations of European Goldfinch, Great Tit, and Eurasian Tree Sparrow too...

Last edited by boriscleto; 04-18-2017 at 11:16 AM.
04-18-2017, 11:22 AM - 9 Likes   #25285
Pentaxian

Taken with my K-5/FA*600mmF4ED[IF]/Eckla window mount

I think the wing mirror of the car was slightly blocking the front of the lens in this shot.

Also I'm thinking of getting a K-3ii soon, any thoughts fom you guys welcome.

I also have a hankering for a SMC Pentax-A* 1200mm F8 ED [IF] does anyone on here have one?
04-18-2017, 11:29 AM - 1 Like   #25286
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Last evening at the marsh.

04-18-2017, 11:31 AM   #25287
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by Ducatigaz Quote
I also have a hankering for a SMC Pentax-A* 1200mm F8 ED [IF] does anyone on here have one?
@Clinton is the long lens collector...
04-18-2017, 11:55 AM   #25288
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by normhead Quote
Still talking about Grackles are we?
I speed up when I see them on the ground in grocery store parking lots scavenging. The pigeons have resorted to faking injuries, broken feet, pulled wing muscles and such to get sympathy handouts from people since the grackles beat them to all the trash. Any good "birding" session here should be started with 30 minutes of pellet gun practice on the grackles so you can make room for any other species to make an appearance. The damn things eat food out of your golf cart while you are standing on the tee box trying to hit your shot.
04-18-2017, 12:02 PM - 1 Like   #25289
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by littledrawe Quote
I speed up when I see them on the ground in grocery store parking lots scavenging. The pigeons have resorted to faking injuries, broken feet, pulled wing muscles and such to get sympathy handouts from people since the grackles beat them to all the trash. Any good "birding" session here should be started with 30 minutes of pellet gun practice on the grackles so you can make room for any other species to make an appearance. The damn things eat food out of your golf cart while you are standing on the tee box trying to hit your shot.
A couple of Merlins or Kestrals turned up yesterday and have been flying around screaming this morning. My 150-200 grackles are all gone. There are maybe 4 or 5 stragglers and one lonely red wing black bird. If you live in an un-degrade eco-system, these things take care of themselves. We hardly ever get doves or pigeons. They are much too easy targets for hawks. Nature left on it's own just doesn't have these kinds of problems.

RIght now people are talking about how aggressive the wolves are getting over at the dump and asking the MNR to bring back the wolf bounty. Before the spring bear hunt was re-introduced bears used to eat at the dump. people complained. Now wolves clean up the dump and act possessive of the territory. People complain about the wolves. I get really tired of people as a race complaining about problems they themselves create. All this happening because people don't look after their garbage.

I've lived with this pack for 8 years, they aren't aggressive at all, except around the dump, because it became a food source for them. Behind my house they are the same as always. Oh, and if you get rid of the wolves, then you'll be complaining about too many racoons. Humans seem totally content to start with a beuatiful balanced eco-system, and slowly eliminate everything but mice and rats, who they live with because they are too filthy to live with anything else. Nature has it's own justice.

People have to live with whatever species they use to clean up their garbage. The thought of looking after their own garbage never seems to be on the table.

And ya, hitting living things with their vehicles is the way many repay the animals who clean up the mess humanity makes.

Last edited by normhead; 04-18-2017 at 12:26 PM.
04-18-2017, 12:44 PM - 1 Like   #25290
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by Ducatigaz Quote
Taken with my K-5/FA*600mmF4ED[IF]/Eckla window mount
Apparently, some people say that the 15Mpixels of the K1 crop mode isn't so good for birds. But when I see your photos taken with a K5, I don't think 15Mp aren't enough. Perhaps you've got the right technique to deliver those very nice bird photographs.