Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version 91913 Likes Search this Thread
05-09-2017, 08:30 AM   #25561
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery
QuoteOriginally posted by rkappleby Quote
I'm doing some sorting, when I originally took this I thought it was a just another Swainson's Hawk but when I take a closer look I'm leaning towards Prairie Falcon - anybody able to give me a more concrete ID - sorry not a very good shot
It's definitely a falcon. At first glance I thought it was a bit dark for a Prairie, which made me think it was a juvenile Peregrine (the cere and orbital skin [eyelids] are blue-grey, which makes it an obvious juvenile). However, the National Geographic mentions in the text for Prairie that the juvenile is darker than the adult, and the illustrations in the Sibley guide show this. The lack of bars on the central tail feathers also matches Sibley's illustration. The juvenile Peregrine has obvious tail bars. The white feathers posterior to the eye also suggest Prairie Falcon. Last, but certainly not least, as Aslyfox mentioned, the folded primaries don't reach the tip of the tail. So the evidence points to juvenile Falco mexicanus. None of the Prairie Falcons that I saw while I was growing up in southern Saskatchewan gave me a view like the one in this photo. They were usually rocketing past me, so being given the opportunity to take a photo like this is very rare. Nice work!

---------- Post added 9th May 2017 at 13:10 ----------

QuoteOriginally posted by Sterby Quote
Good idea, but how would I know what plumage is abnormal?
Simply buy a field identification guide book to the birds living in your area, and memorize the appearance of each species, including any unique appearance of the female, juvenile and immature individuals. Just kidding. It does take special dedication to memorize all of those plumages.

Last edited by pete-tarmigan; 05-09-2017 at 08:41 AM. Reason: spelling error, omission
05-09-2017, 11:17 AM   #25562
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
You could also (as I have done) put Cornell U's Bird ID app on your phone. It's no where near as comprehensive as the guide books, but works pretty well for the common birds.
05-09-2017, 11:54 AM   #25563
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by rkappleby Quote
I'm doing some sorting, when I originally took this I thought it was a just another Swainson's Hawk but when I take a closer look I'm leaning towards Prairie Falcon - anybody able to give me a more concrete ID - sorry not a very good shot
I wish I could say just another swainson's, they usually look all confused when they fly over

you've got a nice shot here

you've received some good advice already
one thing my head does is compare the eye size relative to the head...my head says falcon...it looks like our prairie falcon
however once I get past buteo, accipiter, falcon...I need a book
05-09-2017, 12:05 PM - 8 Likes   #25564
Veteran Member

First Chaser this year...

3 shots from this weekend. A female Broad Bodied Chaser. I have cropped in the face on image to show detail. All shot on the 150-450 and TC, as I didn't have time to get the Macro out. Not much need to be honest!

Attached Images
View Picture EXIF
PENTAX K-3  Photo 
View Picture EXIF
PENTAX K-3  Photo 
View Picture EXIF
PENTAX K-3  Photo 
05-09-2017, 12:37 PM   #25565
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by Sterby Quote
Good idea, but how would I know what plumage is abnormal? I just take photos of bird looking things, maybe some other animal looking things and do the ID later.
that's actually how half of the people doing this do it...shoot>ID
the other half...ID>shoot

if you ID enough some of it will stick and then you build on that
you'll pick up clues based on the bird's behavior and the environmental context you find the bird in

you know, that is a black bird becomes that is great-tailed grackle amongst the red-winged blackbirds
or that blue bird has an enormous beak...blue grosbeak not an indigo bunting
or oh crap..that's not an eagle...its wings are tipping...it must be a turkey vulture

we carry the large golden guide in our vehicles because it is smaller than the sibley's we use at home and fits in the glove box

on our phones, I have sibley's while my wife uses ibird...both are quite good

the merlin app can be helpful but it can take you in the wrong direction as well

if you are taking pictures and still can't ID the bird, find the non-game bird expert for your state's game department
ours cringes every time he sees my email address
though I have given him data about birds that usually don't show up where I find them

good luck and have fun!

unless you become a real birder it isn't all that serious
trust me...if you're wrong somebody will correct you...they may when you are right as well
05-09-2017, 12:38 PM - 1 Like   #25566
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Kev, Nicely done! Macro schmacro, this shows the quality of this lens for sure!
05-09-2017, 01:00 PM - 3 Likes   #25567
Veteran Member

it's been quite a day, so far
twenty one species have stopped by for a dink or a bath and a bite to eat

the rose-breasted grosbeak I was hoping for just left
so i'm going to take a nap

Attached Images
View Picture EXIF
PENTAX K-3 II  Photo 
05-09-2017, 01:42 PM   #25568
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by Canada_Rockies Quote
You could also (as I have done) put Cornell U's Bird ID app on your phone. It's no where near as comprehensive as the guide books, but works pretty well for the common birds.
We use iBird Pro. Even at home we often go to iBird pro before the guide books. Guide books don't give you the bird sounds.
05-09-2017, 02:18 PM   #25569
Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by Aslyfox Quote
slightly longer tailed and blunter winged than peregrine falcon. overall pale color with very dark wing pits distinctive pale grey-brown tail and mostly white underparts wing tips do not reach tail tips
Thank you for the info

QuoteOriginally posted by pete-tarmigan Quote
It's definitely a falcon.
Thank you Pete - as usual you clearly illustrate you have forgotten more about these creatures than I shall ever know, I'm always a little in awe.

QuoteOriginally posted by ccc_ Quote
I wish I could say just another swainson's, they usually look all confused when they fly over
Thanks for commenting, the Swainson's is pretty common here - some years more than others, it probably depends on the mouse population, in the fall they go from field to field following the farmers as they put their hay up and expose the creatures who reside below the tall grass I've seen a dozen or more in a single 30 acre field.

Last edited by rkappleby; 05-09-2017 at 02:35 PM.
05-09-2017, 04:23 PM   #25570
Veteran Member

west of here they follow the machinery discing and planting, for the same reason. I imagine

they are very handsome birds
05-09-2017, 05:47 PM   #25571
Seeker of Knowledge
Loyal Site Supporter

change in subject from birds to cheetahs

these are two of the three young male cheetahs now at the Kansas City Zoo. They are playing/establishing dominance (?)

First time I had seen them (and I was thoroughly enjoying the circumstances until I realized I didn't know where my cell phone and prescription glasses were ) [ this is where you can think good thoughts about their recovery - it hasn't happened yet - if you want to ]

K 3 + HD PENTAX-D FA 150-450mm F4.5-5.6 ED DC AW hand held

Focal Length 330.0mm (35mm equivalent: 495mm)
Exposure Time 1/400s (0.0025)
Aperture F/5.6
Attached Images
View Picture EXIF
PENTAX K-3  Photo 
05-09-2017, 07:55 PM - 2 Likes   #25572
Veteran Member

Found this fellow at a local bird sanctuary (or rather a fancy reclaimed water plant) running around.

This Egret was creeping in the reeds just outside of a Black Crowned Night Heron roost

The Heron tried to swoop on the Egret once it moved. If only my shutter speed had been a little faster

There were a bunch of these Grebes that always look like they just woke after a long night of drinking

Here is one I'd never seen before. Phainopepla is the name. This male kept it's distance and these are substantial crops

Last edited by littledrawe; 05-09-2017 at 09:15 PM.
05-10-2017, 03:51 AM   #25573
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by littledrawe Quote
Found this fellow at a local bird sanctuary (or rather a fancy reclaimed water plant) running around.
The toes on that lizard are amazing. Looks like a natural born thief.
05-10-2017, 04:54 AM   #25574
Seeker of Knowledge
Loyal Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by littledrawe Quote

. . .
i think those lizards are challenging each other
05-10-2017, 05:29 AM   #25575
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by ChipB Quote
Beautiful bird - well photographed!!
Thank you Chip B! Great that you like it.

---------- Post added 05-10-17 at 08:38 PM ----------

Last edited by Pentaxians; 05-10-2017 at 05:39 AM.