Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by Aslyfox Quote

---------- Post added 09-09-17 at 06:21 ----------

admittedly I am no expert

I only know what I like and I like my DFA 150 - 450

does it have faults, so some say

is it big and heavy - that I can cofirm

I, like others, seem to be able to use it hand held, others say only on a tripod

my suggestion, check out what it can do, look at the thread dedicated to it here on the forum

rent one and try it out.

I did, using LensRental.com

then I went looking for a bargain

I found one getting a like new " experienced " model

good luck

here is a juvenile yellow crowned night heron hunting - slight crop and pp isolating the bird
The 50-500 is called the Bigma for a good reason. It is heavy. It has its faults but it has been a good lens to me. The major downside is you really need to stop down to around f10-f11 to get decent IQ. The 150-450 has a focus limiter which would be really handy. The two lenses weigh about the same. I have found Sigma lenses just lack the contrast of Pentax lenses but that is just me. I'm old school Pentax shooter. Maybe someday I will rent thec150-450, I never rented a lens before. Right now I'm fine with my 50-500.

09-09-2017, 09:17 AM - 12 Likes   #26462
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Albums
A few shots (mostly re-posts) taken on Sanibel Island, Florida over the last couple of years. I'm not sure whether there will be much left of the place after Irma and Jose have moved through. Other, less prosperous places will fare even worse but this is somewhere we know. It will take a long time for the place to recover and I feel sorry for the folks who make their livelihood there.

09-09-2017, 10:09 AM   #26463
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Nice series Jacamar. Up here in the Rockies we feel your pain over the hurricanes. Our pain is the forest fires that are devastating the whole North West of the continent ....
09-09-2017, 10:17 AM - 5 Likes   #26464
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by Kevriano Quote
Just stunning Ken
Thanks Kevriano.

Pied Kingfisher shot with K3 + Sigma 500 F4.5 + Pentax 1.4x TC

09-09-2017, 10:32 AM - 1 Like   #26465
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by jacamar Quote
A few shots (mostly re-posts) taken on Sanibel Island, Florida over the last couple of years. I'm not sure whether there will be much left of the place after Irma and Jose have moved through.
One thing about natural areas such as Sanibel, chances are they've survived events such as Irma many times before humans knew it was there. Coastal ecosystems tend to have fairly low resistance but high resilience = they damage easily but tend to recover quickly. "Quickly" however, may not seem so to humans accustomed to getting their burger in seconds.

Last edited by WPRESTO; 09-09-2017 at 04:37 PM.
09-09-2017, 11:24 AM   #26466
Veteran Member

A few shots (mostly re-posts) taken on Sanibel Island, Florida over the last couple of years. I'm not sure whether there will be much left of the place after Irma and Jose have moved through. Other, less prosperous places will fare even worse but this is somewhere we know. It will take a long time for the place to recover and I feel sorry for the folks who make their livelihood there.

Hope you can stay safe
09-09-2017, 12:40 PM - 1 Like   #26467
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by Kevriano Quote
Hope you can stay safe
QuoteOriginally posted by Canada_Rockies Quote
Up here in the Rockies we feel your pain over the hurricanes.
Sorry, didn't mean to mislead. I'm still located in Toronto but we've visited Sanibel a few times and know it reasonably well.

09-09-2017, 04:39 PM   #26468
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

The Ding Darling sanctuary there has changed for the worse over the years. They made some change to coastal water control, and as a consequence the number of birds at DD has plummeted drastically probably by over 90% between our two visits.
09-09-2017, 09:52 PM   #26469
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by WPRESTO Quote
They made some change to coastal water control, and as a consequence the number of birds at DD has plummeted drastically probably by over 90% between our two visits
I have heard that too but we always find DD a worthwhile trip, as well as the Bailey Tract, and the beach for its very confiding shorebirds. It's also a jumping off point for a number of great places like Corkscrew Swamp. I worry that the barrier islands (Sanibel and Captiva) might be breached, further endangering the mainland. I'm sure our planned trip there for December will no longer be feasible.
09-10-2017, 05:13 AM   #26470
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

I have heard that too but we always find DD a worthwhile trip, as well as the Bailey Tract, and the beach for its very confiding shorebirds. It's also a jumping off point for a number of great places like Corkscrew Swamp. I worry that the barrier islands (Sanibel and Captiva) might be breached, further endangering the mainland. I'm sure our planned trip there for December will no longer be feasible.
I've been thinking (dangerous pastime) and as I recall DD used to get more water from inland = fresh, but they rerouted that drainage (it was artificial) allowing the water at DD to become saltier, and that has altered the biota upon which the birds feed which in turn has driven away the birds, as the pickings are slimmer than they were back in the 80's. If you fiddle with something long enough - - - -
09-10-2017, 06:31 AM   #26471
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

I've been thinking (dangerous pastime) and as I recall DD used to get more water from inland = fresh, but they rerouted that drainage (it was artificial) allowing the water at DD to become saltier, and that has altered the biota upon which the birds feed which in turn has driven away the birds, as the pickings are slimmer than they were back in the 80's. If you fiddle with something long enough - - - -
Hence the Salton Sea and even worse the Aral Sea.
09-10-2017, 06:38 AM   #26472
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

As with many great "natural" areas, the "Wildlife Drive" dike and impoundments at DD were artificially created, as part of a mosquito control program in the 1950s. Let's see what nature's "fiddling" comes up with.
09-10-2017, 01:37 PM - 1 Like   #26473
Seeker of Knowledge
Loyal Site Supporter

K 3 + Smc PENTAX-DA L 55-300mm F4-5.8 ED

no crop, no pp

male Sumatran Tiger photographed through window of the enclosure

both photos hand held, natural light
Attached Images
View Picture EXIF
PENTAX K-3  Photo 
View Picture EXIF
PENTAX K-3  Photo 
09-10-2017, 02:11 PM   #26474
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

I like the tiger, he looks so fierce, fearless and contemptuous.
09-10-2017, 02:39 PM - 2 Likes   #26475
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by Weevil Quote
Another one of #ElShapo, where he blows in his hands to remove sweat (I think)
Everyone needs to wear eye protection when he is on court!