Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version 91810 Likes Search this Thread
11-01-2017, 06:20 AM - 13 Likes   #26761
Pentaxian

From my car again. K-3ii/FA*600mmF4ED[IF]/Eckla window mount.
50% crop

50% crop

Forgot this one

Last edited by Ducatigaz; 11-01-2017 at 02:21 PM.
11-01-2017, 08:46 AM   #26762
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by dcshooter Quote
Interesting. My ex went to Holyoke, but I don't recall ever seeing black squirrels there. Here in DC, there are various populations of black squirrels descended from individuals imported from Canada (their natural range) that escaped from the Zoo in the early 1900s.
Interesting. The black squirrels here are neither zoo escapees nor migrants from the north. They are carriers of a spontaneous mutation that occurred naturally in the grey squirrel population (SFAIK). Such melanistic mutations occur in many species, as do mutations that produce albinos (true albinos with pink eyes). However, albinos have a variety of problems so the trait is rarely passed to a second generation. Albino individuals commonly do not leave offspring. BTW: Albinism does persist in a few human populations, although I cannot recall the specific group at the moment. Sometimes the people regard such unusual individuals as special, or imbued with special powers.
11-01-2017, 10:50 AM - 3 Likes   #26763
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by WPRESTO Quote
They seem to be a bit more wary than the greys, are hesitant to get on a bird feeder and will yield it to a grey instantly.
Most of our squirrels are black and we have one that has super powers - it can jump a horizontal 10ft. I have run out of locations in my back yard where I can put my bird feeders reasonably close to the house.

Here's a shot of a reindeer. This was the only angle that allowed me to exclude the ear tag, sheds, fenceposts, and chain link fencing from the frame.

K-3 with DA*300m and 1.4xTC
11-01-2017, 10:55 AM   #26764
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Titmouse which together with chickadees are almost always the first to find and visit a new bird feeder.

Attached Images

11-01-2017, 11:48 AM   #26765
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery
Titmouse which together with chickadees are almost always the first to find and visit a new bird feeder.
titmouse...the bird that shows up for day or two every decade or so...you are fortunate, they are handsome birds
Attached Images

11-01-2017, 03:00 PM   #26766
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by ccc_ Quote
titmouse...the bird that shows up for day or two every decade or so...you are fortunate, they are handsome birds

Uncommon birds for you? They are omnipresent here, in numbers. I think of them being not so much handsome as perky.
11-01-2017, 04:36 PM   #26767
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

They are omnipresent here, in numbers.
Here, too (in winter). I was going to mention DC's black squirrels but 'shooter beat me to it.

11-01-2017, 05:41 PM   #26768
Seeker of Knowledge
Loyal Site Supporter

Interesting. The black squirrels here are neither zoo escapees nor migrants from the north. They are carriers of a spontaneous mutation that occurred naturally in the grey squirrel population (SFAIK). Such melanistic mutations occur in many species, as do mutations that produce albinos (true albinos with pink eyes). However, albinos have a variety of problems so the trait is rarely passed to a second generation. Albino individuals commonly do not leave offspring. BTW: Albinism does persist in a few human populations, although I cannot recall the specific group at the moment. Sometimes the people regard such unusual individuals as special, or imbued with special powers.
Reportedly

there are black squirrels in Topeka Kansas and Marysville Kansas

" Now days . . . they can regularly be sighted in the North Topeka area west of HWY 75 and North of 46th st. but it’s possible they are still around in some other areas. . . .

Marysville, KS is well-known for their large black squirrel population and claim their town mascot to be the black squirrel and call themselves the black squirrel city. They actually even have an event, “Black Squirrels on Parade”, coming up soon/most likely in June.Large squirrel sculptures are being decorated by artists for placement around their town.
Online sources say it’s believed a traveling carnival with black squirrels came through Marysville in the 1920’s and stayed in the park where a child opened the cage and let the squirrels out and they’ve since flourished there. The animal is protected in Marysville and there is a $25 fine for harming one. "

https://topekakansasfunintheheartofamerica.wordpress.com/2016/05/30/black-squirrels-in-topeka/

I cannot confirm it however

11-01-2017, 08:22 PM   #26769
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by Aslyfox Quote
Reportedly

there are black squirrels in Topeka Kansas and Marysville Kansas

" Now days . . . they can regularly be sighted in the North Topeka area west of HWY 75 and North of 46th st. but it’s possible they are still around in some other areas. . . .

Marysville, KS is well-known for their large black squirrel population and claim their town mascot to be the black squirrel and call themselves the black squirrel city. They actually even have an event, “Black Squirrels on Parade”, coming up soon/most likely in June.Large squirrel sculptures are being decorated by artists for placement around their town.
Online sources say it’s believed a traveling carnival with black squirrels came through Marysville in the 1920’s and stayed in the park where a child opened the cage and let the squirrels out and they’ve since flourished there. The animal is protected in Marysville and there is a $25 fine for harming one. "

Black Squirrels in Topeka | Topeka Kansas, Fun in the Heart of America

I cannot confirm it however

council bluffs, iowa as well

---------- Post added 11-01-17 at 08:27 PM ----------

Uncommon birds for you? They are omnipresent here, in numbers. I think of them being not so much handsome as perky.
last year for a day or two then gone
sometimes the cemeteries and wooded parks will have them all year but at our house almost never

we have records that go back about ten years and I only saw a couple of entries
11-01-2017, 08:59 PM   #26770
Pentaxian

BTW: Albinism does persist in a few human populations, although I cannot recall the specific group at the moment. Sometimes the people regard such unusual individuals as special, or imbued with special powers.
Albinism is relatively common in Tanzania. Google if you are interested in reading about the dangers albinos face in Tanzania (not for the faint hearted).

Last edited by Mike L; 11-01-2017 at 09:05 PM.
11-02-2017, 02:46 AM - 10 Likes   #26771
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Whistling Kite.
K-1, 150-450 + 1.4x TC, handheld. See exif for shot details.

Cheers,
Terry
Attached Images
View Picture EXIF
PENTAX K-1  Photo 
11-02-2017, 05:16 AM   #26772
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by Mike L Quote
Albinism is relatively common in Tanzania. Google if you are interested in reading about the dangers albinos face in Tanzania (not for the faint hearted).
I've heard within the past 18 months about the dangers albinos face in Africa because of the belief that their organs have medicinal or magical powers, but I don't know the particular group. As I recall, there's also a group of Pacific Islanders that regularly have albinos, somewhere in Melanesia as I recall, but it's been many decades since I read about it and I cannot remember the name of the particular people.

---------- Post added 11-02-17 at 08:27 AM ----------

Last edited by WPRESTO; 11-02-2017 at 05:28 AM.
11-02-2017, 07:07 AM - 9 Likes   #26773
Pentaxian

Common Buzzard from the car. K-3ii/FA*600mmF4ED[IF}/Eckla window mount.

11-02-2017, 01:58 PM - 5 Likes   #26774

Photos: Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by Ducatigaz Quote
Common Buzzard from the car. K-3ii/FA*600mmF4ED[IF}/Eckla window mount.
I'm just wondering, how does one get access to your car? Seems to me it knows the best places for birding

Last edited by Sterby; 11-02-2017 at 02:06 PM.
11-02-2017, 03:09 PM   #26775
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by Sterby Quote
I'm just wondering, how does one get access to your car? Seems to me it knows the best places for birding