Photos: Gallery
QuoteOriginally posted by luftfluss Quote
That is a fine set.
What he said.

01-04-2018, 06:02 AM - 2 Likes   #27152
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
Black-bellied plover, way out there in the grass (significant crop from an image taken @ 600mm)

OOPS! Jacamar just sent me a correction. This is a European golden plover.
Attached Images

Last edited by WPRESTO; 01-04-2018 at 07:47 AM.
01-04-2018, 06:05 AM - 1 Like   #27153
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by Pentaxians Quote
Happy New Year 2018, have a great year to everyone in this 300mm++ lens club!

Ending my 2017 post with this little Collared Bush Robin, a species of bird in the family Muscicapidae. It is endemic to Taiwan.

Beautiful bird and photograph!
01-04-2018, 07:53 AM - 7 Likes   #27154
Veteran Member

Lots of great photos on this thread!
Since it seems many of you are bird shooters, I thought there might me some interest in yesterday's visitor to my feeders, a male northern cardinal with bird leucism.
I grabbed my KP with DA 300* lens and shot through open mini blinds and the dual glass of our atrium door.
Shot at f/4 1/6000 ISO1600, my previous settings for whatever I was shooting.
This is what I had to work with:

I shoot JPEG, and tweak with Picasa and/or Google Photos.
Not perfect by any means, just glad I got the shots and hope like heck he returns, with the blinds up.

01-04-2018, 08:27 AM   #27155
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Those are really interesting photos of a very rare bird. Somewhere I have chromes of a blue jay with leucism that visited our feeder way back, cannot remember precisely when but I think in the 1980's. Will try to find those chromes, scan the best one and post here out of interest. There are only about 80,000 chromes to search through - do not hold your breath or check here for the scan on an hourly basis.
01-04-2018, 08:32 AM - 1 Like   #27156
Seeker of Knowledge
Loyal Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by WPRESTO Quote
Those are really interesting photos of a very rare bird. Somewhere I have chromes of a blue jay with leucism that visited our feeder way back, cannot remember precisely when but I think in the 1980's. Will try to find those chromes, scan the best one and post here out of interest. There are only about 80,000 chromes to search through - do not hold your breath or check here for the scan on an hourly basis.
Excuses, excuses

Get to work
01-04-2018, 08:56 AM - 1 Like   #27157
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by robtcorl Quote
Lots of great photos on this thread!
Since it seems many of you are bird shooters, I thought there might me some interest in yesterday's visitor to my feeders, a male northern cardinal with bird leucism.
I grabbed my KP with DA 300* lens and shot through open mini blinds and the dual glass of our atrium door.
Shot at f/4 1/6000 ISO1600, my previous settings for whatever I was shooting.
This is what I had to work with:
Very cool! I've never seen a leucistic animal "in the flesh". Nice work on getting those shots.

01-04-2018, 08:57 AM   #27158
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by Aslyfox Quote
Excuses, excuses

Get to work
01-04-2018, 09:00 AM - 5 Likes   #27159
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by Aslyfox Quote
Excuses, excuses

Get to work
So sorry

A few images of red-throated loons (divers) to compensate. The male in the last image was showing off to attract a mate. He put on quite an energetic display, but he was way far away from us.
Attached Images

01-04-2018, 10:40 AM - 21 Likes   #27160
Veteran Member

There was a bit of construction going on nearby, and it was forcing the local wildlife out of their homes. At the end of October, a small Opossum decided to start living in my back yard. After determining that it was a very healthy opossum, I relocated it to a spot in the woods where I see a lot of deer. I walk the trails and woods often, and chose a spot where I don't normally find coyote feces. It took a liking to me, and tried to follow me back to the truck like a lost kitten. I had to walk around in the woods with it until it got comfortable enough to want to stay on its own. A few days ago, I was walking near that same spot that I left it, and found this coming down a tree.

I don't know if it's the same one, but it was coming towards me and not going away from me. I stood under the tree and talked to it, just like when I released it. We got within 4 feet of each other and had a staring contest. I backed away, and it followed. It came up and walked around me, smelled my shoes, then went walking around under the pine trees. I slowly backed away and watched it dig around through the pine needles. Afterwards, it went back up into the tree and I went on my way. Considering the age and rate they grow, I want to believe this is the same one, but I really don't know for sure. Perhaps, just another curious 'possum who's never seen a human before.

K3 + DA*300
01-04-2018, 10:48 AM - 2 Likes   #27161
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by r0ckstarr Quote
There was a bit of construction going on nearby, and it was forcing the local wildlife out of their homes. At the end of October, a small Opossum decided to start living in my back yard. After determining that it was a very healthy opossum, I relocated it to a spot in the woods where I see a lot of deer. I walk the trails and woods often, and chose a spot where I don't normally find coyote feces. It took a liking to me, and tried to follow me back to the truck like a lost kitten. I had to walk around in the woods with it until it got comfortable enough to want to stay on its own. A few days ago, I was walking near that same spot that I left it, and found this coming down a tree.

I don't know if it's the same one, but it was coming towards me and not going away from me. I stood under the tree and talked to it, just like when I released it. We got within 4 feet of each other and had a staring contest. I backed away, and it followed. It came up and walked around me, smelled my shoes, then went walking around under the pine trees. I slowly backed away and watched it dig around through the pine needles. Afterwards, it went back up into the tree and I went on my way. Considering the age and rate they grow, I want to believe this is the same one, but I really don't know for sure. Perhaps, just another curious 'possum who's never seen a human before.

K3 + DA*300
Nice story and pictures - thank you very much!
01-04-2018, 11:10 AM - 11 Likes   #27162
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Oystercatcher
Attached Images

01-04-2018, 09:00 PM - 14 Likes   #27163
Pentaxian

Taiwan Barwing with my K70 and Sigma 100-500 HSM

01-04-2018, 09:09 PM - 1 Like   #27164
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by r0ckstarr Quote

K3 + DA*300
Great photos and story! I've never seen a possum look so cute.
01-04-2018, 09:19 PM - 21 Likes   #27165
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Snowstorm here in NJ today. Only 5-6 inches of snow, but very windy, gusts up to 40 mph. The birds were out despite the rough conditions.

My new K-3 II + old friend A 400/5.6. Still learning this combo, and feeling optimistic...

A couple of the Rusty Blackbirds are still hanging around. I guess they like the food I'm putting out.