Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
02-15-2018, 10:48 AM   #27571
csa
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Thanks so much! I have to admit, it was so thrilling to look out the window & see this big, beautiful bird! So glad I was able to get 3 photos of it, regardless of the light, and thru a window.

02-15-2018, 10:57 AM   #27572
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by Ron Boggs Quote
Dished face and short "horns"...guessing short-eared owl of which we have many in your region-csa.
A Short-eared Owl would be streakier on the back, the streaks would be buffy or brownish grey not slate grey, the streaks on the breast would be vertical, not horizontal and it would have a larger head. The "horns" might just be a quirk - was the bird wet? I think it's either a Cooper's or a Sharp-shinned Hawk. Cooper's more likely, given the reported size and the colouring and shape of the head.
02-15-2018, 11:32 AM   #27573
csa
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Don't know how it would have been wet, wasn't snowing, and the lake's completely frozen over. It did not go to my birdbath. Unless perhaps it burrowed into snow to catch something??
02-15-2018, 11:39 AM   #27574
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery
Lots of variation in short eared owl plumage...sometimes see several sort of together that range from almost light buff to almost black. My first thought was Northern Hawk Owl, but there are just so many short eared around that I can't help but suspect...I always watch for the rump spot when they fly away laughing at me...looks like a white rump patch while sitting?

We have lots of sharp-shinned and a few cooper's here too and they will work your feeders to eat the little birds. Coloration on this looks very sharp-shinned, but the dished face...

I packed all my field guides away for an impending remodel and move, so can't torment myself trying to id birds. Pretty much go with the Patrick F. McManus method, "little brown birds, big gray birds, etc."

That one is a generic predator bird...

02-15-2018, 12:16 PM   #27575
csa
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by Ron Boggs Quote
impending remodel and move,
Hope you're not moving too far!

It looks like this one does have a white patch that would be seen in flight. I didn't get to see his back when he flew away, only the side view.
02-15-2018, 01:05 PM   #27576
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by jacamar Quote
I think it's either a Cooper's or a Sharp-shinned Hawk
That would be my guess from the look but they're not particularly large birds.
02-15-2018, 01:10 PM   #27577
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by csa Quote
Thanks Ron! All I have are side views. Here's a couple more. Again, apologies for poor lighting. These last photos show a white with black bars on underside of tail. The stripes going sideways across the breast, could it be a Northern Hawk Owl?
With the brick-red barring on the breast and belly, the grey back, fluffy white undertail coverts, short wings, and long tail, it can't be anything but one of the two North American Accipiter species that have brick-red undersides, i.e., Sharp-shinned or Cooper's Hawk (adult). These two species are notoriously difficult to tell apart because a large female Sharpie's size approaches that of a small male Cooper's (females are larger in most raptors) and size is very hard to judge without an object of known size next to the bird. Because the crown feathers are messed up (obscuring the crown colour and shape) and we can't see the terminal band on the tail, it's hard to tell which of the two it is. Both species are present year-round in western Montana. I lean toward calling it a Sharpie because it doesn't appear to have a pale nape or to have a crown that is darker-coloured than the back.

02-15-2018, 01:36 PM - 21 Likes   #27578
Pentaxian

I went out with a mate and his Gyr Saker Falcon today to try some flight shots with my K-3ii/Sigma 300mm F2.8 EX DG. A Rapid bird making for fairly difficult shooting.

It momentarily perched on top of my tripod

Last edited by Ducatigaz; 02-17-2018 at 01:26 PM.
02-15-2018, 01:39 PM - 1 Like   #27579
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by Ducatigaz Quote
I went out with a mate and his Gyr Saker Falcon today to try some flight shots with my K-3ii/Sigma 300mm F2.8 EX DG. A Rapid bird making for fairly difficult shooting.

Difficult perhaps, but you certainly nailed those shots, my favourite being the one over the field.
02-15-2018, 01:54 PM - 1 Like   #27580
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

I'll agree Pete, and because most of our Cooper's around here are the "gold head" looking variety. I'm still caught up in the feather structure around the perimeter of the face having that owl appearance with that outer dark line like the short eareds? Just matted down wet look on a sharp shin I guess?
02-15-2018, 02:10 PM - 1 Like   #27581
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Excellent set. I like the first image best, perfect lighting and focus on the face.
02-15-2018, 02:14 PM - 1 Like   #27582
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Fabulous series Gary, I like them all but my favorite is the second.
02-15-2018, 02:55 PM - 1 Like   #27583
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Gyr Saker Falcon
Stunning!!
02-15-2018, 02:56 PM - 1 Like   #27584
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Very well shot!! Beautiful bird too!!
02-15-2018, 03:39 PM - 1 Like   #27585

Location: Jessica Lake, Whiteshell Provincial Park, or Winnipeg Manitoba, Canada

Lovely series.