Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
05-22-2018, 06:44 PM - 5 Likes   #28501
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
White-crowned sparrow giving me the side-eye...

Orange-crowned warbler, a first for me.

05-22-2018, 06:59 PM - 1 Like   #28502
Seeker of Knowledge
Loyal Site Supporter

K 3 II + HD PENTAX-D FA 150-450mm F4.5-5.6 ED DC AW + HD Pentax-DA 1.4x AW AF Rear C

the male Harlequin Duck Histrionicus histrionicus in its elements, in this case - the white water of the LeHardy Rapids of the Yellowstone River

http://www.ducks.org/hunting/waterfowl-id/harlequin-duck
Attached Images
View Picture EXIF
PENTAX K-3 II  Photo 
05-22-2018, 07:04 PM   #28503
Veteran Member

Photos: Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by Aslyfox Quote
the male Harlequin Duck Histrionicus histrionicus in its elements, in this case - the white water of the LeHardy Rapids of the Yellowstone River

Harlequin Duck: Waterfowl ID

I never realized a duck would take on rapids like that. Really interesting shot!
05-22-2018, 07:19 PM - 1 Like   #28504
Seeker of Knowledge
Loyal Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by str8talk83 Quote
I never realized a duck would take on rapids like that. Really interesting shot!
thanks

they are a sea duck and float in and out of the white water diving after prey and standing on rocks

I found it quite difficult to get a good shot, here the male has just dived on the left of the female

moving target, white water you get the idea

they are found in Yellowstone for only a short period of time

Attached Images
View Picture EXIF
PENTAX K-3 II  Photo 

Last edited by aslyfox; 05-23-2018 at 03:50 AM.
05-22-2018, 11:12 PM   #28505
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery

they are found in Yellowstone for only a short period of time
So they drop by for some fast food?
05-23-2018, 12:34 AM - 2 Likes   #28506
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by r0ckstarr Quote
So you got the 150-450? How do you like it so far?

Yes… I sold my Sigma 150-500 and bought a new toy .
It's too early to adjudicate but my first impressions are positive. The AF seems to be decisive, accurate and fast. Zooming is quite firm, but that's just fine.
The only dilemma I have is related to ergonomy: how should I carry the lens? Normally I try to avoid holding the lens in the zoom or focus ring area, but the middle ring is full of switches and AF buttons.

I have to mention that now I need the right camera. I've dedicated my K-3 to DA560, so at the moment I'm using 150-450 on K-1 and that's not adequate. But next year we should get the new APS-C flagship and IMHO first then (when having the latest technology (fps, high ISO noise level, probably improved AF system…)) the 150-450 will show it's real capabilities.
05-23-2018, 01:50 AM   #28507
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by zzeitg Quote
Yes… I sold my Sigma 150-500 and bought a new toy .
It's too early to adjudicate but my first impressions are positive. The AF seems to be decisive, accurate and fast. Zooming is quite firm, but that's just fine.
The only dilemma I have is related to ergonomy: how should I carry the lens? Normally I try to avoid holding the lens in the zoom or focus ring area, but the middle ring is full of switches and AF buttons.

I have to mention that now I need the right camera. I've dedicated my K-3 to DA560, so at the moment I'm using 150-450 on K-1 and that's not adequate. But next year we should get the new APS-C flagship and IMHO first then (when having the latest technology (fps, high ISO noise level, probably improved AF system…)) the 150-450 will show it's real capabilities.
Just out of curiosity: how does the 150-450 AF compare to the DA560 AF? You must be one of a handfull owning both lenses...

Chris

05-23-2018, 02:36 AM - 4 Likes   #28508
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by Chris Mak Quote
Just out of curiosity: how does the 150-450 AF compare to the DA560 AF? You must be one of a handfull owning both lenses...

Chris
Pardon me for jumping in this conversation-question but I'm in the happy position of owning both lenses for about 7 months now (since I bought the DA 560). In fact I'm going to post samples and do a short of review about the DA 560 when I find some time. I could also compare the 2 lenses in a later stage too.

The DFA is noticibly faster in acquiring focus and is more reliable in tracking conditions. I'm mostly shooting aviation and then some bird-"wildlife" photography and what I've found is that the DFA is more suitable for most cases and much more versatile as a lens (partly because it's a zoom lens but I'm not reffering to that, but to its performance in general). The DA 560 is a special lens and I love it but it is more difficult to tame and requires extra effort to produce the best results. It's very rewarding too if you know what you're doing and you're having a good photographic day!

An example of what I'm describing is when I tested both lenses in an airport next to the landing strip having fast military jets coming in for landing. The DA 560 was struggling to acquire focus and the success rate was very small in relation to the DFA where almost every frame was tack sharp (mostly @ 450mm - so the distance was not a restrictive factor against the long prime). Those findings were on the K-1. What I'm describing is that if I have to go for a shooting mission and what I'm going to cover is something unique that I would like to have the best success rate I can, I would go for the DFA 150-450. If I have the convenience to have plenty of time or many opportunities to take the shot I want then I would go for the DA 560 to give me that special extra quality of the prime. Usually most situations are a mixed bag of these two "separate" situations and it is up to the user to decide what he is after.

I will come back at some point with samples to back up my findings.

Last edited by redpit; 05-23-2018 at 02:38 AM. Reason: misspelling
05-23-2018, 03:29 AM - 2 Likes   #28509
Seeker of Knowledge
Loyal Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by noelpolar Quote
So they drop by for some fast food?
not so sure how " fast " the food is

but they seem to enjoy the quick dip

the professionals taking photos really put my set up to shame
Attached Images
View Picture EXIF
PENTAX K-3 II  Photo 
05-23-2018, 03:48 AM   #28510
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by Chris Mak Quote

Chris
Well, that would have to be a topic for a detailed analysis and comparison (providing equal light conditions and shooting with the same camera).

As I'm shooting (small) birds most of the time, it gives no sense in my opinion to use K-1. On the other hand I don't own KP and to make any test with K-3 (5 years old device and not latest state-of-the-art) wouldn't be very explanatory.

For both DA560 and DFA 150-450 it's valid that they aren't the fastest lenses, which is limiting the AF performance by itself. Anyway I'm very interested to see what kind of progress will be introduced by the K-3 successor (expected in 2019).

the professionals taking photos really put my set up to shame
What's that? 400mm f/2.8 or 600mm f/4 (Canon)? Looks like the front filter for this lens will cost a packet.

Last edited by zzeitg; 05-23-2018 at 03:55 AM.
05-23-2018, 04:27 AM - 1 Like   #28511
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by redpit Quote
Pardon me for jumping in this conversation-question but I'm in the happy position of owning both lenses for about 7 months now (since I bought the DA 560). In fact I'm going to post samples and do a short of review about the DA 560 when I find some time. I could also compare the 2 lenses in a later stage too.

The DFA is noticibly faster in acquiring focus and is more reliable in tracking conditions. I'm mostly shooting aviation and then some bird-"wildlife" photography and what I've found is that the DFA is more suitable for most cases and much more versatile as a lens (partly because it's a zoom lens but I'm not reffering to that, but to its performance in general). The DA 560 is a special lens and I love it but it is more difficult to tame and requires extra effort to produce the best results. It's very rewarding too if you know what you're doing and you're having a good photographic day!

An example of what I'm describing is when I tested both lenses in an airport next to the landing strip having fast military jets coming in for landing. The DA 560 was struggling to acquire focus and the success rate was very small in relation to the DFA where almost every frame was tack sharp (mostly @ 450mm - so the distance was not a restrictive factor against the long prime). Those findings were on the K-1. What I'm describing is that if I have to go for a shooting mission and what I'm going to cover is something unique that I would like to have the best success rate I can, I would go for the DFA 150-450. If I have the convenience to have plenty of time or many opportunities to take the shot I want then I would go for the DA 560 to give me that special extra quality of the prime. Usually most situations are a mixed bag of these two "separate" situations and it is up to the user to decide what he is after.

I will come back at some point with samples to back up my findings.

Thanks for your report! It makes sense: focussing on e.g. birds of prey in flight is very hard with the DA560, because it takes too much time to get an initial focus lock, and on top of that, initial focus in such a circumstance is not very reliable. Where the DA560 works best, is in situations where you have the time to re-focus a few times, using the viewfinder to judge if focus is good. That is at least my experience. Quickly aiming and focussing and taking a shot never really works for me. Such opportunities are mostly lost because the DA560 misses spot-on focus. If I have enough time to pamper the focus a bit, the DA560 is very good though.

Also, with the K3(II) I find that I have to take some extra care to ensure that everything is optimal: I blow the AF mirror once or twice every year, I toggle the two switches on the DA560 every now and then to ensure optimal contact. I clean the front of the lens regularly, I clean the contacts on the lens and camera (and 1.4TC) once or twice every year. I keep the battery above half charged if possible. I have found that if I do not do these things, than I have a greater chance of getting a lower keeper rate due to random and sudden inprecise focus. (I shortly tried the KP, and it seemed a far less critical situation with that combo though).

Good to know that newer lenses like the DA150-450 are better at things like initial focus lock. I have come to accept the DA560 for what it is and for its qualities, but I miss opportunities that demand fast focus action, and I am not able to develop BIF skills. So I plan to acquire óne more super telelens during my life of photographic activity. It will be probably a 10.000+ lens and very likely a 500mm f4 (+ 1.4TC for small birds), but knowing that a lens built like the DA560 can be used for 10-20 years without ever failing once, and without deteriorating quality, it is worth it. It will take a few years to finace it, so perhaps Pentax will surprise me with a 500/4....

Chris
05-23-2018, 11:42 AM - 2 Likes   #28512

QuoteOriginally posted by r0ckstarr Quote
I don't need to prove anything.
I can't believe I missed this one so here I go.
I bet he was just insecure that his wife was so interested in your BIG LONG lens
You should feel proud

These kind of people are a constant source of laughs and entertainment.
05-23-2018, 12:28 PM - 15 Likes   #28513
Pentaxian

DFA 150-450

05-23-2018, 01:17 PM   #28514
Seeker of Knowledge
Loyal Site Supporter

. . . What's that? 400mm f/2.8 or 600mm f/4 (Canon)? Looks like the front filter for this lens will cost a packet.
I didn't ask, he was working, I know it was a gimbal mounted cannon - pun intended

he was rapid firing and if you looked away from the river, you missed the action

I know I did
05-23-2018, 03:04 PM   #28515
dbs
Pentaxian

DFA 150-450

Hi zzeitg

Nice set and the expressions are great, the last 2 in the set are funny

Dave