Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery | Albums
KP + DA* 300 + DA 1.4x converter — bush dog after a swim:

06-24-2018, 07:27 PM   #28787
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery
QuoteOriginally posted by dadipentak Quote
Why I keep the K-3 + DA*300/4 at the ready out on the porch.

Good plan. Very good shot.
06-24-2018, 10:14 PM - 7 Likes   #28788
Pentaxian

Osprey , getting to know the FA*600/F4

I popped out to do more practice with the Pentax FA*600/f4 , (Yes Ron's old lens found it's way to Australia) , I had just set up the tripod and was about to mount the best when I was buzzed by him, I luckily had my K-5 with FA*300/f2.8 on and managed to quickly grab one shot as he flew over, pretty happy, just grabbed focus. He then circled a round and I did get another as he past again later, but was a little too close.

I hung around for a few hours, getting a few far off distance shots, nothing good, I knew when he was coming as the crows in the area would start circling and making a lot of noise, they would follow him and try to steal his catch. On one of these chase runs, I managed to get a few I am happy with, as they pursued him towards me, dodging and swooping about, I was really happy with the AF-C on the K-1, I was running in 1:1 mode, as I had the HD 1.4 converter on the 600, they were flying towards me, it did go out of focus a few times yes, but still pulled it back in.

First two photos from the K-5 and FA*300/F2.8, the next 3 from the K-1 (1:1 crop mode) FA*600/F4 + HD1.4x TC.

All are just the jpegs, direct from the camera , cropped a little and resized in Paint...... (Yes Microsoft Paint, computer issues no PS to develop the raw)

Oh.... And there's a couple of the uncropped OOC jepgs on my Flickr page
Attached Images
View Picture EXIF
PENTAX K-5  Photo 
View Picture EXIF
PENTAX K-5  Photo 
View Picture EXIF
PENTAX K-1  Photo 
View Picture EXIF
PENTAX K-1  Photo 
View Picture EXIF
PENTAX K-1  Photo 

Last edited by cmohr; 06-24-2018 at 11:04 PM.
06-24-2018, 10:29 PM   #28789
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by cmohr Quote
I popped out to do more practice with the Pentax FA*600/f4 , (Yes Ron's old lens found it's way to Australia) , I had just set up the tripod and was about to mount the best when I was buzzed by him, I luckily had my K-5 with FA*300/f2.8 on and managed to quickly grab one shot as he flew over, pretty happy, just grabbed focus. He then circled a round and I did get another as he past again later, but was a little too close.

I hung around for a few hours, getting a few far off distance shots, nothing good, I knew when he was coming as the crows in the area would start circling and making a lot of noise, they would follow him and try to steal his catch. On one of these chase runs, I managed to get a few I am happy with, as they pursued him towards me, dodging and swooping about, I was really happy with the AF-C on the K-1, I was running in 1:1 mode, as I had the HD 1.4 converter on the 600, they were flying towards me, it did go out of focus a few times yes, but still pulled it back in.

First two photos from the K-5 and FA*300/F2.8, the next 3 from the K-1 (1:1 crop mode) FA*600/F4 + HD1.4x TC.

All are just the jpegs, direct from the camera , cropped a little and resized in Paint...... (Yes Microsoft Paint, computer issues no PS to develop the raw)
Great set! All pictures are beautiful but I especially like the last one. It is just wonderful.

06-24-2018, 11:14 PM   #28790
Pentaxian

Photos: Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by alfa75ts Quote
Yesterday I went back to the park to see if I could improve on my "little birds" photos. The short version is "I couldn't".

For the long version, I need to first set the scene:

I headed off from the car park (CP) to position 1 which is the section of reeds where I took the previous "little bird" photos.

Nothing there.

I moved around to the next spot (Me) from where I could see a Black-shouldered Kite in a dead tree (K1) so I head to point 2 which is the second closest spot to K1.

Not close enough:

About 100 metres.

So, I talk myself into trekking around the wetlands to the closest point. A 2000 metre trek with a quick stop at 3 (nothing there).

As I near K1 and see the bird I realise it's no longer a Kite but has morphed into a Nankeen Kestral and moved to K2.

This shot also helps explain why the "little birds" were absent. (although I didn't see this until I got home).

It is apparently sitting there plucking it's kill.

I took a few shots, turned my back and slowly moved off to let it know I wasn't going to bother it any more. But it took off anyway.

An as usual, the AF had trouble choosing between the big contrasty bird and the fuzzy clouds in the distance.

That only left me to continue the trek and head back to the car.
Enjoyed the read as much as the shots
06-25-2018, 03:40 AM   #28791
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by northcoastgreg Quote
KP + DA* 300 + DA 1.4x converter — bush dog after a swim:
Cool - the photo and the dog.
06-25-2018, 07:01 AM   #28792
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by cmohr Quote

Oh.... And there's a couple of the uncropped OOC jepgs on my Flickr page
I love both 3 and 4 the best!

06-26-2018, 03:25 AM - 9 Likes   #28793
Pentaxian

I can name those trees outside my kitchen as Magic Trees, keep seeing birds perching there, my house is a urban place, surrounding these few Magic Trees are high storey flats and these birds are not common birds and they love to perch there and at eye level some more, really good for me as I don't have time for birding.

Oriental White Eye shot with K1 + Sigma 500 F4.5 + Pentax 1.4x TC
06-26-2018, 07:09 AM   #28794
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by kengoh Quote
I can name those trees outside my kitchen as Magic Trees, keep seeing birds perching there, my house is a urban place, surrounding these few Magic Trees are high storey flats and these birds are not common birds and they love to perch there and at eye level some more, really good for me as I don't have time for birding.

Oriental White Eye shot with K1 + Sigma 500 F4.5 + Pentax 1.4x TC

Great shot!
Send me one of those trees please!!
06-26-2018, 07:57 AM   #28795
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

I know the feeling--I had a magic tree but it's gone.
06-26-2018, 01:23 PM - 7 Likes   #28796
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Hooded merganser
Attached Images
View Picture EXIF
Canon EOS 7D Mark II  Photo 
06-26-2018, 01:47 PM   #28797
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by WPRESTO Quote
Hooded merganser
Very nice shot. What lens did you use, the EXIF data shows 600 focal length.
06-26-2018, 04:13 PM - 1 Like   #28798
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by onlineflyer Quote
Very nice shot. What lens did you use, the EXIF data shows 600 focal length.
Tamron 150~600mm mk II on a Canon 7D. In case you're wondering, here's the image with minimal PP before cropping.
Attached Images
View Picture EXIF
Canon EOS 7D Mark II  Photo 
06-26-2018, 05:16 PM   #28799
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by WPRESTO Quote
Tamron 150~600mm mk II on a Canon 7D. In case you're wondering, here's the image with minimal PP before cropping.
Very nice, thanks for sharing
06-26-2018, 08:04 PM - 6 Likes   #28800
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by dadipentak Quote
Why I keep the K-3 + DA*300/4 at the ready out on the porch.
Also,