Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version 91879 Likes Search this Thread
07-03-2018, 08:42 AM   #28906
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by WPRESTO Quote
GBH a bit fluffed up. I think it had been preening and was sort of shaking out the processed feathers.
Gorgeous eye and feathers on this one.

07-03-2018, 08:45 AM   #28907
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery
QuoteOriginally posted by siva.ss.kumar Quote
Ok. After much deliberation got myself a 560. The winter season is long over so had to be satisfied with the residents.
Still haven't got the hang of shots. I see shake even though I placed the lens on car window or on a lake wall.
With K-5iis
Bracing the lens on the car window or tripod with the SR (Shake Reduction) turned on may cause the camera to move the sensor, because the camera is expecting camera movement unless you have turned off the SR. Try turning the SR off when the lens is braced. For this reason Shake Reduction is automatically switched off when the the self-timer or remote control is used to release the shutter. You can manually over-ride this if you prefer.
07-03-2018, 11:05 AM   #28908
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery | Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by Mikesul Quote
And with a Pentax!
WAIT, I didn't know we weren't supposed to use our Pentaxs for BIFs?! How come I wasn't told?
07-03-2018, 11:08 AM   #28909
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by littledrawe Quote
WAIT, I didn't know we weren't supposed to use our Pentaxs for BIFs?! How come I wasn't told?
Its a little known (around here) secret.

07-03-2018, 11:19 AM - 1 Like   #28910
Veteran Member

Still haven't got the hang of shots. I see shake even though I placed the lens on car window or on a lake wall.
There are a lot of ways to support the lens and reduce/eliminate the shake. Some of the strategies from rifle shooting crossover. Take a breath, exhale halfway, pause, shoot. Proper bracing of your arm on your body and your feet position need to be considered. I shot an A*600 on a $40 Bogen Bomber set of legs and $100 knockoff gimbal from ebay (thanks China!) with excellent results. So it does not need to cost an arm and a leg to get properly supported. I just saw an amazing set of old aluminum manfrotto legs for $50 in an old "antique mall" near me. I wanted to rescue them so they could be returned to their former glory but I already have 2 sets myself so a third would be nonsense. You can also put the camera on rapid fire, assume the first shot is going to be the shaky one and the second or third should be more stable.
07-03-2018, 01:00 PM - 2 Likes   #28911
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Grackle, almost looks as though he's ill, but he was spitting out a call to attract a lady and intimidate other males close enough to hear.
Attached Images
View Picture EXIF
PENTAX K-5  Photo 
07-03-2018, 02:57 PM - 2 Likes   #28912
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

I see shake even though I placed the lens on car window or on a lake wall.
I swear by a bean bag (I make mine for ~nowt) - allows the lens to point to the subject without being tilted on edge and wobbling. I'll tend to have a hand on top top pressing down into the bean bag, or I'll use a remote shutter release. Never leave home without both.

Also don't underestimate the desireability of fast shutter speeds. At 560mm on apsc (1.5x crop factor, but also factor in later cropping of the image as well) I suggest figure on 1/1000sec minimum if not on a bean bag or tripod etc. Experience continues to reinforce for me that between possible graininess from high asa vs shake, its better to err on high asa graininess.

Last edited by marcusBMG; 07-05-2018 at 03:21 PM.
07-03-2018, 03:50 PM - 8 Likes   #28913
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by pete-tarmigan Quote
Bracing the lens on the car window or tripod with the SR (Shake Reduction) turned on may cause the camera to move the sensor, because the camera is expecting camera movement unless you have turned off the SR. Try turning the SR off when the lens is braced. For this reason Shake Reduction is automatically switched off when the the self-timer or remote control is used to release the shutter. You can manually over-ride this if you prefer.
I shoot with shake reduction on almost 95 % of the time, with shake reduction on with remote shutter release or the with the inferred remote. I have tested SR for over 8 months with my K-3 II, mostly with my A ☆ 400 [with or without the 1.4 and 1.7 adaptors] on a tripod or a monopod, and I see no reason for someone not to test what works out best for them rather than follow the factory advice on SR usage. Yes, try with shake reduction off and see if that helps. I get sharp shots either way, but more with SR on. Live view does help show what camera and tripod shake you have [full magnification is what I check with] and then you can try to come up with ways to reduce the shake. The attached photo - SMC A ☆ 400 F2.8 ED[IF] with Pentax F 1.7 AF adaptor, SR on.
Attached Images
View Picture EXIF
PENTAX K-3 II  Photo 
07-03-2018, 04:43 PM   #28914
Forum Member

I have found the same thing too. But my tripod is insufficient for a long lens, so it is not still at all. Very prone to vibrations, so SR helps a little.

I guess unless you have a very stiff tripod with good dampening characteristics, you're better off with SR on.
07-03-2018, 05:32 PM - 3 Likes   #28915
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Avocet and friend, way out there. This image required substantial cropping.
Attached Images
View Picture EXIF
PENTAX K-5  Photo 
07-03-2018, 08:09 PM - 8 Likes   #28916
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Mt St Helens, Washington
K5ii DA*300
Attached Images
View Picture EXIF
PENTAX K-5 II  Photo 
View Picture EXIF
PENTAX K-5 II  Photo 
View Picture EXIF
PENTAX K-5 II  Photo 
View Picture EXIF
PENTAX K-5 II  Photo 
View Picture EXIF
PENTAX K-5 II  Photo 
View Picture EXIF
PENTAX K-5 II  Photo 
View Picture EXIF
PENTAX K-5 II  Photo 
View Picture EXIF
PENTAX K-5 II  Photo 
View Picture EXIF
PENTAX K-5 II  Photo 
View Picture EXIF
PENTAX K-5 II  Photo 
07-04-2018, 01:50 AM   #28917
dbs
Pentaxian

Photos: Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by Bhuey55 Quote
Mt St Helens, Washington
K5ii DA*300
Hi Bhuey
Is the animal a prarie dog ?
Nice series

Dave
07-04-2018, 04:19 AM - 6 Likes   #28918
Pentaxian

Travelling in NZ at the moment. Using K3 and DA 55-300 HD at the long end on birds a bit:

New Zealand Dotterel on the littoral on a Northern beach:

A species of seagull:

And another species:

Oyster Catcher

Sacred Kingfisher

As to a review of the lens - I like it.
07-04-2018, 07:10 AM   #28919
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by stihlmania Quote
I shoot with shake reduction on almost 95 % of the time, with shake reduction on with remote shutter release or the with the inferred remote. I have tested SR for over 8 months with my K-3 II, mostly with my A ☆ 400 [with or without the 1.4 and 1.7 adaptors] on a tripod or a monopod, and I see no reason for someone not to test what works out best for them rather than follow the factory advice on SR usage. Yes, try with shake reduction off and see if that helps. I get sharp shots either way, but more with SR on. Live view does help show what camera and tripod shake you have [full magnification is what I check with] and then you can try to come up with ways to reduce the shake. The attached photo - SMC A ☆ 400 F2.8 ED[IF] with Pentax F 1.7 AF adaptor, SR on.

Lovely demo on IQ with a great lens combo.
07-04-2018, 07:17 AM   #28920
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by dbs Quote
Hi Bhuey
Is the animal a prarie dog ?
Nice series

Dave
It's a golden-mantled ground squirrel (Callospermophilus [Spermophilus] lateralis). It is identified by the black and white lines on its flanks and its white eye-ring. It lives in forest and the edge of alpine meadows.