Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
12-31-2018, 11:27 AM - 10 Likes   #30316
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery
Ta Ta Tokina?

I acquired a mint copy of a DA*300 last week, but have only had flat light to test it in. When the sun returns, I am going to try out the HD TC with it.

I expect to find the combination of the DA*300 and HD TC to be sharper than my Tokina SD AT-X 400mm f/5.6 prime.

If that turns out to be so, can anyone make a case for keeping the Tokina?

Attached Images
View Picture EXIF
PENTAX K-S2  Photo 
12-31-2018, 12:05 PM   #30317
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by Shedking Quote
I acquired a mint copy of a DA*300 last week, but have only had flat light to test it in. When the sun returns, I am going to try out the HD TC with it.

I expect to find the combination of the DA*300 and HD TC to be sharper than my Tokina SD AT-X 400mm f/5.6 prime.

If that turns out to be so, can anyone make a case for keeping the Tokina?
Whatever lens (or combo) you used for photographing that swan, the results are beyond any criticism. Nice soft light, just what is needed to maintain some detail in the bright areas without losing in the shadows. BTW: It's almost certain the DA300mm + TC will have better IQ than the ATX Tokina, for all the latter is a decent lens and wonderfully compact for a 400mm.
12-31-2018, 01:18 PM - 1 Like   #30318
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Is the DA 300/4 a must-have for that special "pop"?

Another GAS attack has me thinking that I must have the DA 300/4.

To delay the inevitable, I have been comparing the IQ of the Pentax M*300/4, Pentax DA 55-300, and the Sigma 50-500, all at 300 mm (I happen to have these three lenses) against the DA 300/4.

I ask myself, given decent light, could I not achieve the same detail, sharpness, micro-contrast, etc when shooting a stationary bird with the Bigma at 300mm as someone else shooting the same bird with the DA 300/4?

Flickr.com has lots of images from all of these lenses so it should be easy to tell but it's not that easy. Just as I thought I had my final opinion, a picture by the Bigma or by the 55-300 would show up and blow me away.

Also, how about this logic - most pros use primes or super-high-end zooms, so clearly most good pics from the DA 300/4 would have been produced by more experienced nature photographers than lets say users of the other lenses. Which means that comparing pics on Flickr.com is not a sure-fire way to make a choice.

I know that skills are the paramount ingredient in making a great picture. So my quest has to do with giving myself the best chance I can afford, of taking that one amazing photo w/out having a poorer quality glass get in the way.

I wonder if this makes sense to other GAS-affected Pentaxians..

Andy
12-31-2018, 01:18 PM - 4 Likes   #30319
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by siva.ss.kumar Quote
I always imagined there will be a smart binoculars that will overlay the bird identification when viewed
I would prefer a camera with built-in bird recognition, too often I don't have time to switch between binoculars and camera.

Bu t I would settle for bird recognition software (maybe a photoshop add-on).

Probably just get "I'm sorry dave, I can't ID that".

12-31-2018, 02:22 PM - 3 Likes   #30320
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by akptc Quote

To delay the inevitable, I have been comparing the IQ of the Pentax M*300/4, Pentax DA 55-300, and the Sigma 50-500, all at 300 mm (I happen to have these three lenses) against the DA 300/4.

I ask myself, given decent light, could I not achieve the same detail, sharpness, micro-contrast, etc when shooting a stationary bird with the Bigma at 300mm as someone else shooting the same bird with the DA 300/4?

Flickr.com has lots of images from all of these lenses so it should be easy to tell but it's not that easy. Just as I thought I had my final opinion, a picture by the Bigma or by the 55-300 would show up and blow me away.

Also, how about this logic - most pros use primes or super-high-end zooms, so clearly most good pics from the DA 300/4 would have been produced by more experienced nature photographers than lets say users of the other lenses. Which means that comparing pics on Flickr.com is not a sure-fire way to make a choice.

I know that skills are the paramount ingredient in making a great picture. So my quest has to do with giving myself the best chance I can afford, of taking that one amazing photo w/out having a poorer quality glass get in the way.

Andy
In ideal circumstances, with a stable tripod and/or good light to whack up the shutter speed, I have had very good results from the 55-300 PLM and the earlier screw-drive non-WR version. The main issue for me is that both of these are a stop or more slower than the DA*300, with consequences for DOF, and are softest wide open at the long end.

Most of my best PLM pics were actually taken at 210mm (while the aperture is still f/5.6) and cropped. The results were better than at 300mm.

The DA*300 is wonderful wide open. I would expect better subject isolation than the PLM example below.

BTW, if I were to pick out one skill, my vote goes to breathing control, especially for any lens that tempts you to hand-hold.
Attached Images
View Picture EXIF
PENTAX K-S2  Photo 
12-31-2018, 03:13 PM - 1 Like   #30321
Site Supporter

Andy
I held off getting the DA 300 for the longest time, not wanting to spend the money for “one more lens” and thinking I had it covered with those I have. But, having given in and acquired it, I will say it’s in a class all its own and produces truly exceptional images.

With a stable target where 300 will get you close enough, the quality can’t be beat. And, given that quality, your options for cropping are greatly enhanced. Of course, there’s always that trade-off with a fixed lens... just when you think the distance will be fine, there are so many situations where using your feet isn’t an option. For those, which are the majority for me, I value my zooms greatly. When my lens budget balance goes back up, I’d like to get my hands on that 150-450. That’s a nice range and I suspect the image quality would far surpass my Sigma 150-500. Good luck with your decision!

P.s., I just re-read your post and didn’t answer your question directly. IMHO, no, I don’t think you could get the same detail/sharpness/contrast with those other lenses. Sometimes, as in this case, the quality results not only from the glass itself but in the superior performance of the mechanism. I believe both are superb in the DA 300.

Last edited by Kath; 12-31-2018 at 03:19 PM.
12-31-2018, 03:22 PM   #30322
Des
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

I have been comparing the IQ of the Pentax M*300/4, Pentax DA 55-300, and the Sigma 50-500, all at 300 mm (I happen to have these three lenses) against the DA 300/4.I ask myself, given decent light, could I not achieve the same detail, sharpness, micro-contrast, etc when shooting a stationary bird with the Bigma at 300mm as someone else shooting the same bird with the DA 300/4?
Isn't the Bigma f6.3 at 300mm? And the DA 55-300 (screw-drive) would be f5.8 at 300mm. So the 300 f4 lenses have a stop or more advantage straight off.

I haven't got a Bigma so I can't really add to the comparison. But I used to have a Sigma 170-500 and I've currently got a screw-driven (DA-L) and PLM 55-300 as well as the FA*300 f4.5 and Sigma 400mm f5.6. In ideal conditions (1/1000th, f8, ISO 100), with the subject fairly close (say 20' or 6 metres for a medium-sized bird) it might be hard to tell the difference between them (except the 170-500 which was off the pace and the 400 f5.6 which would fill more of the frame). But how often do you get conditions like that? More often the light isn't that good or the subject is further away. That's when a better and faster lens really comes into its own. And not only is there an advantage in maximum aperture, but the better lens performs better wide open.

It's not all one way though. The portability and lightning-fast AF speed of the PLM (plus its short MFD) means there's always a place for it in the bag whatever other tele lenses you have.

I'll throw in another suggestion. If you are comfortable handling the weight and bulk of the Bigma but want better optics, why not look at the DFA 150-450? Pair it with a PLM and you have everything covered. You could recoup some of the cost by selling the Bigma and M-300 (and the 55-300 if it's not the PLM version).

On the other hand, if you find the weight and bulk of the Bigma limiting, you'd be better off with a DA*300 (+ TC). The weight-saving would be a big advantage aside from the gain in aperture speed and (I would expect) image quality. You'd have the 55-300 to give you the flexibility of a zoom.

12-31-2018, 07:30 PM - 3 Likes   #30323
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by Shedking Quote
... The DA*300 is wonderful wide open...
QuoteOriginally posted by Kath Quote
...IMHO, no, I don’t think you could get the same detail/sharpness/contrast with those other lenses. Sometimes, as in this case, the quality results not only from the glass itself but in the superior performance of the mechanism. I believe both are superb in the DA 300.
QuoteOriginally posted by Des Quote
... More often the light isn't that good or the subject is further away. That's when a better and faster lens really comes into its own. And not only is there an advantage in maximum aperture, but the better lens performs better wide open. ...
I am cherry-picking your input here of course but I think the message is clear - get the lens! I just needed to hear it from someone else

THANK YOU.

-------------
Just ordered it from B&H, can't wait!
In the immortal words of Harry "when you realize you want to spend the rest of your life with somebody, you want the rest of the life to start as soon as possible."

Last edited by akptc; 12-31-2018 at 07:45 PM.
12-31-2018, 09:48 PM - 9 Likes   #30324
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Gadwall. Taken with FA*400/5.6

---------- Post added 12-31-18 at 11:53 PM ----------

Redheads, taken with the same lens.

12-31-2018, 10:19 PM - 11 Likes   #30325
Pentaxian

Happy new year 2019 to everyone here! Sharing the Chestnut-winged cuckoo, another migrant and it's my final lifer in the 2018! Taken with K70, DA300 + HD 1.4 tc

12-31-2018, 11:30 PM   #30326
Des
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by swip Quote
Gadwall. Taken with FA*400/5.6
A fine lens in great hands.
QuoteOriginally posted by Pentaxians Quote
Happy new year 2019 to everyone here! Sharing the Chestnut-winged cuckoo, another migrant and it's my final lifer in the 2018!
Well that's another fine capture to complete a wonderful year of your images Luis.

Happy new year to everyone here and thank you for sharing so many wonderful images in 2018.
01-01-2019, 12:06 AM - 1 Like   #30327
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by Des Quote
A fine lens in great hands.

Well that's another fine capture to complete a wonderful year of your images Luis.

Happy new year to everyone here and thank you for sharing so many wonderful images in 2018.
Thanks Des! Hopefully can have more lifer coming this year, cheers
01-01-2019, 03:24 AM - 9 Likes   #30328
Pentaxian

Happy New Year, guys!!!

DFA 150-450

01-01-2019, 01:40 PM - 10 Likes   #30329
Veteran Member

Snail Kite - Florida

Atala Butterfly - macro with the sigma 500mm F/4.5

01-01-2019, 10:29 PM - 1 Like   #30330
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by Pentaxians Quote
Happy new year 2019 to everyone here! Sharing the Chestnut-winged cuckoo, another migrant and it's my final lifer in the 2018! Taken with K70, DA300 + HD 1.4 tc

This one has been eluding me. Have seen it couple of times. But never in the open