Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version 91790 Likes Search this Thread
02-13-2019, 07:09 AM   #30556
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
Wonderful shots, beautiful dog. I especially like the second one.

02-13-2019, 11:12 AM - 1 Like   #30557
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by onlineflyer Quote
I'll second that. Huskies have a wild, wolf-like appearance, and the blue eyes seem to be evaluating your nutritional value, but the breed has been selected to cooperate with humans and they are generally very social and friendly.

Last edited by WPRESTO; 02-13-2019 at 01:46 PM.
02-13-2019, 11:35 AM - 1 Like   #30558
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by TER-OR Quote
We're fostering a 6-7yr old female husky, a former breeder female. She's a sweetie. A couple weekends ago, on a crisp sunny day she was watching some birds in the cedar tree and stray snowflakes drifted down from the tree. With the DA300mm I was able to stand across the yard and get more casual shots, which I think worked out really nicely. The background isn't great, but you take what you can get.
QuoteOriginally posted by onlineflyer Quote
QuoteOriginally posted by WPRESTO Quote
I'll second that. Huskies have a wild, wolf-like appearance, and the blue eyes seem to evaluating your nutritional value, but the breed has been selected to cooperate with humans and they are generally very social and friendly.
I agree! Wonderful shooting of a lovely dog. There is a neighbour here with two of them. I'm one of those people that dogs treat as "scratch my ears" slaves even when they've never seen them before. I have to almost run to her or they will drag her across the street -- Husky's are sled dogs after all -- she finds it funny, and I get to scratch some really great ears.
02-13-2019, 11:48 AM - 2 Likes   #30559
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

She's learning. As a former breeder female she missed out on a lot of training and social skills around other dogs. She's defensive with toys, treating them alternately like her puppies and prey. It's pretty disruptive when the others want to play.
But yeah, Huskies remember their friends and can apparently hear them blocks away.

Watching the birds:

Kato, our big male Husky.

Kiowa our Malamute. Mals have personalities matching their size.

02-13-2019, 12:48 PM   #30560
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by TER-OR Quote
She's learning. As a former breeder female she missed out on a lot of training and social skills around other dogs. She's defensive with toys, treating them alternately like her puppies and prey. It's pretty disruptive when the others want to play.
But yeah, Huskies remember their friends and can apparently hear them blocks away.

Watching the birds:

Kato, our big male Husky.

Kiowa our Malamute. Mals have personalities matching their size.
Those are beautiful dogs, TER-OR, I'm envious. SWMBO isn't a dog person, so I am a bit deprived. A canary just doesn't cut it, somehow.
02-13-2019, 03:20 PM   #30561
Unregistered User

well, the new lens arrived today - the UPS guy had to comment on how huge the box was, about two feet by two feet by three feet. it was boxes within boxes - like russian nesting dolls with gobs of bubble-wrap; ricoh is really serious about their packaging. this picture is a heavily cropped selection - about ten percent out of the center (operating on the jpeg, no other postprocessing). lens seems to work. the car was located across the street from us, and I was standing at the highest point of our lot, probably (using the American standard of horizontal measurement) a distance of two football fields.
02-13-2019, 06:03 PM   #30562
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by dlh Quote
well, the new lens arrived today - the UPS guy had to comment on how huge the box was, about two feet by two feet by three feet. it was boxes within boxes - like russian nesting dolls with gobs of bubble-wrap; ricoh is really serious about their packaging. this picture is a heavily cropped selection - about ten percent out of the center (operating on the jpeg, no other postprocessing). lens seems to work. the car was located across the street from us, and I was standing at the highest point of our lot, probably (using the American standard of horizontal measurement) a distance of two football fields.
Close enough to two soccer pitches (100-110m = 110-120yd for international play), and football isn't, soccer is (no hands allowed, ya know)

02-14-2019, 04:48 AM   #30563
Unregistered User

QuoteOriginally posted by Canada_Rockies Quote
Close enough to two soccer pitches (100-110m = 110-120yd for international play), and football isn't, soccer is (no hands allowed, ya know)
We're still using the English system of measurement, generally, yards, feet, inches, pounds, quarts, all that stuff. I think the shilling is still good here, too, but I'm not sure. We also have the American Standard Unit of Vertical Measurement, as well: the Washington Monument.

For our friends in those areas that use the more "scientific" systems of measurement, the reason I'm poking fun at those phrases is because the news-faces on TV always seem to put distances in those terms, probably because the average WalMart shopper can relate and he never did understand fractions or powers of two.

Here's another of my "test" shots, subject: a 1989 GMC Suburban that's seen better days. (Testing the rotating collar on the lens.) I was thinking of cropping out the chrome mirror, enlarging it, and using it in the "cloudscapes" thread - there's reflections of some clouds there, marvelously distorted. Btw, the lens came with a circular polarizer that fits inside the lens in a special holder towards the back end. Has a little thumbwheel on top that you can use to adjust the CP filter with a gearing system in the holder - so the whole filter rotates, rather than one of two rings in the filter itself. I had that CP filter installed in the lens when I took those pictures, but forgot to rotate it to get the best pictures.

One important thing I learned from the incident related in another thread (My K1 shell is cracked. Will Precision Camera replace that? - PentaxForums.com) : don't try to support the weight of the lens with the camera - don't attach the camera prior to installation of the lens on the tripod, and remove the camera from the lens before removing the lens from the tripod. And use the strap attachments, just in case. Although the lens in the case reported was defective, it gave me a chance to observe and think about how fragile the mounting "hardware" is. And that lens weighed about half of what this one does. Ricoh ought to add that little tip to the instructions pamphlet.

Looking at the combination setting on top the tripod, I couldn't help but think that it looked like a couple of bugs in conjunction - one of those kinds where the male is much smaller than the female. No doubt the lens will eat that camera after copulation.

QuoteOriginally posted by siva.ss.kumar Quote
Wonderful shots. Now I feel I should have just got myself the 150-450 instead of 560
All in all, final thought: I'm pretty happy with the lens. It appears to me, though, either I'm not doing well at the focussing thing, or the DFA 150-450 pictures posted on this thread are just inherently sharper. See, for example ZZeitg's birds, above:
QuoteOriginally posted by zzeitg Quote
DFA 150-450
I got this one, a "prime", because I figured a "zoom" wouldn't give as sharp an image. Silly me?

Last edited by Unregistered User; 02-14-2019 at 05:00 AM.
02-14-2019, 05:53 AM - 1 Like   #30564
Seeker of Knowledge
Loyal Site Supporter

We're still using the English system of measurement, generally, yards, feet, inches, pounds, quarts, all that stuff. I think the shilling is still good here, too, but I'm not sure. We also have the American Standard Unit of Vertical Measurement, as well: the Washington Monument. . . .
speaking of using common measurements -

some of us have started to use the SMU [ standard measurement unit ] to show " scale " when we post in the " your latest acquisition " thread

Your latest acquisition - Page 4 - PentaxForums.com

pepperberry farm first started to use the SMU
02-14-2019, 05:59 AM   #30565
Unregistered User

QuoteOriginally posted by aslyfox Quote
speaking of using common measurements -

some of us have started to use the SMU [ standard measurement unit ] to show " scale " when we post in the " your latest acquisition " thread

Your latest acquisition - Page 4 - PentaxForums.com

pepperberry farm first started to use the SMU
Now what we need is the conversion factor from SMU / TJ's "JoJo's" to Washington Monument.
02-14-2019, 06:05 AM   #30566
Seeker of Knowledge
Loyal Site Supporter

Now what we need is the conversion factor from SMU / TJ's "JoJo's" to Washington Monument.
I don't do math
02-14-2019, 06:15 AM   #30567
Unregistered User

QuoteOriginally posted by aslyfox Quote
I don't do math
Dig it. I often tell folks, "If I could do arithmetic, I wouldn't have had to have become an attorney."
02-14-2019, 06:19 AM   #30568
Man With A Camera
Loyal Site Supporter

Location: The Great Pacific Northwet, in the Land Between Canada and Mexico
Dig it. I often tell folks, "If I could do arithmetic, I wouldn't have had to have become an attorney."

I don't do math either.

But I worked as a civil engineer, a mechanic and a machinist.

Go 'figure'.
02-14-2019, 06:27 AM   #30569
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

One SMU that is truly unique to the USA = the football field, as in "the sink hole was a big as half a football field!" As I've posted before, the failure to metricate the USA back in the 1970's or so was largely a consequence of the profound stupidity of first teaching children the English system, then teaching them how to convert to metric. Breathtakingly stupid approach. It's as if the people designing the curriculum had conspired to insure metrication would fail.

In the non-science major's basic biology (we called it "baby-bio") when teaching the metric system I'd sometimes challenge student's knowledge of the English system:

How many pecks in a bushel?
How many inches in a rod?
How many yards in a mile? (they rarely knew how many feet in a mile)
What is the difference between a statute mile and a nautical mile and why?
How long is a furlong or a league (as in 20,00 under the sea or half a league, half a league, half a league onward)?
How many different ounces are there, what is each used for, and how is each defined?
How is an acre defined? How many square feet, or square yards, or square miles is equivalent to an acre?

OK, all save one of those questions is unfair, but they point out the irrationality of the English system.

Last edited by WPRESTO; 02-14-2019 at 06:38 AM.
02-14-2019, 06:31 AM   #30570
Seeker of Knowledge
Loyal Site Supporter

my wife has a MBA

she keeps the books

even though she complains that her MBA is in personnel
« The M Club! | - »