Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version 91810 Likes Search this Thread
03-05-2019, 11:27 AM - 1 Like   #30691
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery | Albums
First time here in months...and immediately get hit with some stunners by @ducatigaz, like a bouncer at the club, don't come back until you've got something worth sharing!! Great shots here as of late!

03-05-2019, 03:09 PM - 11 Likes   #30692
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Albums
Probably the same Snowy Owl as the one I posted a week or two ago. I think the wire frame embedded in the ice is a nesting structure for Red - necked Grebes..

03-05-2019, 08:47 PM - 4 Likes   #30693
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery
Did somebody say red-necked grebes?
Would love to get to actually see them in breeding plumage, you're lucky!

K3ii DFA 150-450 at 450 mm

03-06-2019, 06:03 AM - 10 Likes   #30694
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Thanks Riseform - here are a couple of spring/summer Red-necked Grebe shots, taken in the same park (re-posted).

03-06-2019, 06:28 AM   #30695
Man With A Camera
Loyal Site Supporter

Location: The Great Pacific Northwet, in the Land Between Canada and Mexico
QuoteOriginally posted by jacamar Quote
I think the wire frame embedded in the ice is a nesting structure for Red - necked Grebes..
How did the red necked grebe ever survive before man came along and invented wire frames for them to nest with?

cheesy

Last edited by Racer X 69; 03-08-2019 at 11:33 AM.
03-06-2019, 06:51 AM - 1 Like   #30696
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by Racer X 69 Quote
How did the red necked grebe every survive before man came along and invented wire frames for them to nest with?
They are more established in northern Ontario but most of the wetlands where the grebes might have nested along the Toronto shoreline were destroyed by lakefilling over the years - they had a lot more habitat available before we came along than they do now. There have been more of them breeding on the Canadian side of western Lake Ontario recently, mostly using constructed harbours and marinas etc. Samuel Smith Park was was mostly built from construction rubble, with big limestone blocks forming the breakwaters. The grebes like to hang out in an enclosed bay with a marina that's frozen right now. There are some shallow areas where they don't need help to nest, but I suppose a few artificial aids won't go amiss.
03-06-2019, 07:44 AM - 8 Likes   #30697
Veteran Member

Nikon Z7, 500mm F5.6 PF

03-06-2019, 03:29 PM   #30698
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by pentaxfall Quote

Nikon Z7, 500mm F5.6 PF
I'm not sure if it's my monitor, but there is some serious solarization going on in all your backgrounds, or maybe it's the file host dumbing down the image????? But I'm only seeing it in your images, and not anyone elses. Are these uploaded here to PF or on another host???
03-06-2019, 06:12 PM   #30699
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by cmohr Quote
I'm not sure if it's my monitor, but there is some serious solarization going on in all your backgrounds, or maybe it's the file host dumbing down the image????? But I'm only seeing it in your images, and not anyone elses. Are these uploaded here to PF or on another host???
Must be something with your monitor. The backgrounds I see are just good bokeh on mine.
03-06-2019, 06:32 PM   #30700
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by WPRESTO Quote
Must be something with your monitor. The backgrounds I see are just good bokeh on mine.
Hmm, funny, I checked on my Phone as well, and it's there too????

Wonder if it's the browser, I'm using Chome on PC and Phone???

And only in those file, not anyone elses. Strangley, in one of the previous posts, The three pics at the top have the solarisation, but the pic of the man in the boat doesn't. Same poster.
03-06-2019, 07:13 PM   #30701
Des
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

I'm seeing it too on my laptop.
03-06-2019, 08:01 PM   #30702
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Me, too. The images are about 165kb, so there's a lot of jpeg compression and when the background is mostly featureless and there's virtually no image noise the solarization effect occurs.
03-07-2019, 04:33 AM   #30703
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by cmohr Quote
some serious solarization going on in all your backgrounds
Solarisation (often spelled Solarization) is the effect in photography in which the image recorded on a negative (or on a photographic print) is wholly or partially reversed in tone. Simply put dark areas appear light and light areas appear dark.

Posterization or posterisation of an image entails conversion of a continuous gradation of tone to several regions of fewer tones, with abrupt changes from one tone to another.

I would remark that the pics do appear to show signs of posterisation on my monitor. Most commonly caused I think by too much jpg compression.
03-07-2019, 12:26 PM - 12 Likes   #30704
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by Ducatigaz Quote
Great detail.

Thanks!

DA560

03-07-2019, 02:16 PM   #30705
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by marcusBMG Quote
Solarisation (often spelled Solarization) is the effect in photography in which the image recorded on a negative (or on a photographic print) is wholly or partially reversed in tone. Simply put dark areas appear light and light areas appear dark.

Posterization or posterisation of an image entails conversion of a continuous gradation of tone to several regions of fewer tones, with abrupt changes from one tone to another.

I would remark that the pics do appear to show signs of posterisation on my monitor. Most commonly caused I think by too much jpg compression.

Yeah, "z" is quite often used where an "s" should be, Quite common between American and Australian spelling. But, not really the point of my query, more concerned that pentaxfall's pictures were not rendering up on screen as I imagine, he would like to be actually presenting them, and whether or not it was just my monitor , the browser, the file host, or, the actual image that was uploaded. I noticed that they are linked from Flickr, but not in the normal way, thinking the links are only to a low res preview and not the higher resolution version. Doesn't really matter anymore.