Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
03-25-2019, 10:41 PM   #30826
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery
QuoteOriginally posted by timbo Quote
Current tripod won’t be a problem. It’s a Berlebach Report 3036. Massive heavy wooden thing. Stable as anything. I will be getting a monopod and gimbal setup though for more practical field application

---------- Post added 03-26-19 at 03:28 PM ----------

Oh, and as far as CA goes, that’s nothing. It’s on a tree several kilometers away that I can hardly see with the naked eye, and it’s cropped from the edge of the image. I won’t ever be applying this lens in such an extreme manner for my proper photos. I was just trying to find its limits... and I’ve got to say I’m absolutely blown away.

Gimbal is a definite with these, I had a carbon fibre one, but still flexed too much, just bit the bullet and bought the Wimberley WH-200-S Sidemount Wimberley Head + Wimberley CK-200 Full Gimbal Conversion Kit , put that ontop of a Gitzo GT5543XLS Systematic Carbon tripod, solid as 4 rocks set in cement. You have to watch the size of the arm on the gimbal, the Gitzo came with the Gitzo fluid gimal, but there is not enough clearence to get the balance right due to the circumference of the lens body. I have a monopod too, but there is so much topend weight with the lens that it is a little too unstable.

Yeah, it's an awesome bit of kit.

03-25-2019, 10:55 PM   #30827
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by cmohr Quote
Gimbal is a definite with these, I had a carbon fibre one, but still flexed too much, just bit the bullet and bought the Wimberley WH-200-S Sidemount Wimberley Head + Wimberley CK-200 Full Gimbal Conversion Kit , put that ontop of a Gitzo GT5543XLS Systematic Carbon tripod, solid as 4 rocks set in cement. You have to watch the size of the arm on the gimbal, the Gitzo came with the Gitzo fluid gimal, but there is not enough clearence to get the balance right due to the circumference of the lens body. I have a monopod too, but there is so much topend weight with the lens that it is a little too unstable.

Yeah, it's an awesome bit of kit.
In my case, The combo I am now using with the FA*250-600, and is almost as heavy as the 600/4, is the GT3541XL for wildlife, and the GT5541XL for astrophoto, combined with a Benro S8 Video head.
I use the Video head now, not as sturdy as the gimbal, but I find it lot's more easy to follow BIF of to shoot hi in the sky (I used to have the Wimberlay gimbal, but because I am using a Lens support, the gimbal wasn't the best for hi subjects).

The tripod I was using for wildlife initially was the GT5541XL, but I slimed down now to the GT3541XL for wildlife... but for astrophoto, especially with long exposures, then the bigger tripod is a must...
03-25-2019, 11:08 PM   #30828
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by Weevil Quote
In my case, The combo I am now using with the FA*250-600, and is almost as heavy as the 600/4, is the GT3541XL for wildlife, and the GT5541XL for astrophoto, combined with a Benro S8 Video head.
I use the Video head now, not as sturdy as the gimbal, but I find it lot's more easy to follow BIF of to shoot hi in the sky (I used to have the Wimberlay gimbal, but because I am using a Lens support, the gimbal wasn't the best for hi subjects).

The tripod I was using for wildlife initially was the GT5541XL, but I slimed down now to the GT3541XL for wildlife... but for astrophoto, especially with long exposures, then the bigger tripod is a must...
I've actually been looking at a smaller version of the Tripod as well, not that the XLS is too heavy or anything , but just as an option, I do also have an Induro Baby Grand ( has the same adapter plate as the gitzo so fully compatible with all fittings I have) for when there is good solid walls or tables ect around to base on. And I am just about to grab the Gitzo Fluid Video head with a bowl adapter, to give it a go, but not totally sure if it has enough of a weight rating, but could be a little more portable at times. I've not had too much of an issue with being limited with high sky shots, mostly due to the locations I generally shoot at.

Agreed, that the solid tripod is a must for astro. And I do actually use the gimbal to mount the camera when doing so, Basically I can easily point directly upwards with it, and still have perfect balance over the tripod. ( I use a macro rail on the swingarm of the gimbal, and mount the camera on that)

It was a toss-up for me to get the 600/4 or the 250-600, really came down to what lens became available to me to actually purchase. I do still have a sniffer on fleabay ect , just incase one comes up
03-26-2019, 03:46 AM - 1 Like   #30829
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
For a solid tripod, try GOOGLING "surveyer's tripod." I have one that I got free. It's a dreadful beast, probably almost 15lb (~6Kg). It takes doing to mount a photographic head, but solid as a glacial erratic. BTW: The real problem with big lenses is fore-aft movement because of the major leverage such a long lens has. The most vibration-free mount is a brace from the end of the lens, way out on the hood, back to the ground or a tripod leg, It restricts movement horribly, but it's way more vibration-free even on a modest tripod that just a single support on a massive tripod.

03-26-2019, 07:44 AM - 3 Likes   #30830
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by cmohr Quote
I've actually been looking at a smaller version of the Tripod as well, not that the XLS is too heavy or anything , but just as an option, I do also have an Induro Baby Grand ( has the same adapter plate as the gitzo so fully compatible with all fittings I have) for when there is good solid walls or tables ect around to base on. And I am just about to grab the Gitzo Fluid Video head with a bowl adapter, to give it a go, but not totally sure if it has enough of a weight rating, but could be a little more portable at times. I've not had too much of an issue with being limited with high sky shots, mostly due to the locations I generally shoot at.

Agreed, that the solid tripod is a must for astro. And I do actually use the gimbal to mount the camera when doing so, Basically I can easily point directly upwards with it, and still have perfect balance over the tripod. ( I use a macro rail on the swingarm of the gimbal, and mount the camera on that)

It was a toss-up for me to get the 600/4 or the 250-600, really came down to what lens became available to me to actually purchase. I do still have a sniffer on fleabay ect , just incase one comes up
One thing is for sure, at least for the FA*250-600, and I would say it is true for the FA*600 as well (as I used to purchase on the the bay, but returned it because of focusing issues), the fact that the Foot assy is located to the front, any slight vibration is making the whole setup unstable, so I added a Lens support (by Hejnar), and I can say that the keeper rate has improved significantly... I'd say more that the double... (one have to also make sure the handling technique for long lenses is mastered as well..)
here are some photo of my setup (before with Gimbal, then the other one with the Benro S8 Video head ... ( I don not have another photo if the latter at the moment, but I will try to find and upload a new one that better shows the video head setup).

P1040206.jpg

IMG-20150102-01847.jpg
03-26-2019, 09:18 AM - 7 Likes   #30831
Pentaxian

spotted a pair of bald eagles at near by Coulon Beach Park on Sunday. DA300

03-26-2019, 10:06 AM - 17 Likes   #30832
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Cheating a bit here, because I was so surprised of that one @250mm, but with the cropping, I'd say it's plenty over the 300mm FF equivalent (x-posted)

Robins love the Staghorn Sumac trees [Rhus typhina] at this time of the year.

Photo taken from inside the house, thru a double window... at about 25-30 feet, cropped and added some circular filter to lighten the disturbing background... Not bad isn't?
===============
Pentax K-3ii + SMC Pentax-DA* 60-250mm F4 ED [IF] SDM @ 250mm
1/1250 sec at ƒ/4, ISO 1250 (note: ƒ/4 = wide-open)

Merle d'Amérique / American Robin [Turdus migratorius]

03-26-2019, 10:12 AM - 1 Like   #30833
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Cheating a bit here, because I was so surprised of that one @250mm, but with the cropping, I'd say it's plenty over the 300mm FF equivalent (x-posted)

Robins love the Staghorn Sumac trees [Rhus typhina] at this time of the year
That picture works for me in every way.

Last edited by WPRESTO; 03-27-2019 at 03:35 AM.
03-26-2019, 11:40 AM - 12 Likes   #30834
Pentaxian

DA560

03-26-2019, 01:06 PM - 1 Like   #30835
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Robins love the Staghorn Sumac trees [Rhus typhina] at this time of the year.

Photo taken from inside the house, thru a double window... at about 25-30 feet, cropped and added some circular filter to lighten the disturbing background... Not bad isn't?
That's sure an understatement. It's very nice, hard to believe it was shot through a double window.
03-26-2019, 03:36 PM   #30836
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by WPRESTO Quote
That picture works form me in every way.
Thanks WPRESTO!

QuoteOriginally posted by onlineflyer Quote
That's sure an understatement. It's very nice, hard to believe it was shot through a double window.
and yes, those windows were not "cleaned" from the hard winter haze, plus there was some sun coming at 45 degree. Add to that the fact it was done at f4, wide-open, is also impressive. I really rarely used that lens since I got it (maybe 2 yr ago). I was testing a K-3ii that I purchased for a friend of mine (that I recently convinced him to get a Pentax (instead of a Nikon D3200 + kit lens also recently bought for cheap.He was looking for a macro lens in Nikon, and they were all quite expensive. So, the Pentax was a good deal even with a nice DFA100WR macro and more... so tempting...)

Anyways... For that photo I had the front element (with no hood) lean directly, but not flat, on the inside window..So maybe the stability + hi shutter speed were key factors here?

..and as far as I recall, any shots I did thru those windows were not very sharp.

Thanks all for your nice comments!
03-26-2019, 05:01 PM - 1 Like   #30837
Seeker of Knowledge
Loyal Site Supporter

I'm winning

2 of the 6 month old Sumatran Tiger cubs at the Topeka Zoo and Conservation Center ( 3 boys, 1 girl )
Attached Images
View Picture EXIF
PENTAX K-3  Photo 
03-26-2019, 06:53 PM - 6 Likes   #30838

Willy wagtail taken with the FA*600 and K-1
03-27-2019, 02:55 AM - 2 Likes   #30839
Seeker of Knowledge
Loyal Site Supporter

this is called using a " stiff leg " for defense .

2 of the 6 month old Sumatran Tiger cubs at the Topeka Zoo and Conservation Center ( 3 boys, 1 girl )
Attached Images
View Picture EXIF
PENTAX K-3  Photo 
03-27-2019, 03:11 AM - 11 Likes   #30840
Pentaxian

Local very rural airport carpark. No one but me there so these White Throated Honeyeaters Melithreptus albogularis were enjoying the grevillea in the late afternoon sun. K3 DA 55-300 at 300mm and cropped