Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
04-10-2019, 04:32 AM   #30931
Pentaxian

Photos: Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by traderdrew Quote
Sounds like your analysis is believable. Canon has had enough time to work on their 7D and the 100-400. I didn't like the first versions of either of them. Sony has come along. If you ask me, I've spoken to a few people who have switched from Canon to Nikon or Sony. None of them regretted that decision. As for ISO 2000, that isn't a good enough reason for me to switch as I rarely use those high numbers. I don't need it. Any Canonite who is photographing birds who says "they have no noise at ISO 3200" is just a fanatic because we are always cropping when shooting birds.
To be totally honest, I only got the 7DII because in the Canon 400DOII + camera bundle, I got a 600,- discount. I never really fancied Canon camera bodies simply because the Sony sensors are so much better. But I have to say that the 7DII has positively impressed me as a body, apart from the poor performance DR wise at iso 100-200.
The reason that the very good performance at iso 1600-2000 has a benefit for me, is purely the 400DOII+EF2.0x combo, which is F8 and drives up the iso outside of bright daylight. I had shots with the DA560+1.4TC with shutter speeds of 1/320s because I did not want to go above iso 1000, but 784mm handheld at 1/320s never gave really good results.
B.t.w. I am seriously venturing into using the 400DOII with both exenders adapted to my Sony A7rII, simply because IQ is at another level and the AF accuracy is astounding, so I have to admit that I am looking ahead at the EOS-R developments and just hope they will come along. The reason for many Canon users to switch to Sony will have been two-fold: a better sensor and the benefits of mirrorless. I hope the EOS-R models of the future will have sensors as good as the Sony sensors, of course... My last "plan" before deciding to switch to Canon, was getting a Pentax K1mkII for the DA560. Images that I have seen from that combo are first class.

Chris

04-10-2019, 04:43 AM   #30932
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by Chris Mak Quote
To be totally honest, I only got the 7DII because in the Canon 400DOII + camera bundle, I got a 600,- discount. I never really fancied Canon camera bodies simply because the Sony sensors are so much better. But I have to say that the 7DII has positively impressed me as a body, apart from the poor performance DR wise at iso 100-200.
The reason that the very good performance at iso 1600-2000 has a benefit for me, is purely the 400DOII+EF2.0x combo, which is F8 and drives up the iso outside of bright daylight. I had shots with the DA560+1.4TC with shutter speeds of 1/320s because I did not want to go above iso 1000, but 784mm handheld at 1/320s never gave really good results.
B.t.w. I am seriously venturing into using the 400DOII with both exenders adapted to my Sony A7rII, simply because IQ is at another level and the AF accuracy is astounding, so I have to admit that I am looking ahead at the EOS-R developments and just hope they will come along. The reason for many Canon users to switch to Sony will have been two-fold: a better sensor and the benefits of mirrorless. I hope the EOS-R models of the future will have sensors as good as the Sony sensors, of course... My last "plan" before deciding to switch to Canon, was getting a Pentax K1mkII for the DA560. Images that I have seen from that combo are first class.

Chris
If I were you and given the fact that you have that beautiful 400mm lens, I would have sold A7R II and 7D Mark II (it's a fast camera but in terms of IQ the 80D is much better than 7D Mark II) and I would have bought a 5D Mark IV. It has similar dynamic range as Sony A7R II at base ISO and better dynamic range than Sony above ISO 800 and 5D Mark IV is also optimized for shooting at f8 with your lens and 2x TC.

Not to mention the difference in terms of ergonomy between Canon and Sony with that big lens.

Last edited by Dan Rentea; 04-10-2019 at 04:51 AM.
04-10-2019, 07:08 AM   #30933
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery
QuoteOriginally posted by jacamar Quote
A little wave of Golden-crowned Kinglets in the park today. I spent a fair bit of time with them but even then I was fortunate to get just a few shots - they are so tiny and hyperactive just locking focus is a major feat!

K-3, DA*300mm, DA 1.4xTC
What you got looked excellent.

---------- Post added 04-10-19 at 10:09 AM ----------

QuoteOriginally posted by tduell Quote
Cattle Egret
K-1, DFA 150-450, handheld. See exif for shot details.

Cheers,
Terry
Nicely done.
04-10-2019, 07:17 AM   #30934
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by swip Quote
What you got looked excellent.
Thanks Swip - one of the more difficult birds to photograph, for sure!

04-10-2019, 07:29 AM   #30935
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery | Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by Chris Mak Quote

Chris
One reason one switched to Sony is because of their 400mm F/2.8 flourite lens. It's a beauty but I would cost me.
04-10-2019, 07:35 AM - 1 Like   #30936
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by Dan Rentea Quote
If I were you and given the fact that you have that beautiful 400mm lens, I would have sold A7R II and 7D Mark II (it's a fast camera but in terms of IQ the 80D is much better than 7D Mark II) and I would have bought a 5D Mark IV. It has similar dynamic range as Sony A7R II at base ISO and better dynamic range than Sony above ISO 800 and 5D Mark IV is also optimized for shooting at f8 with your lens and 2x TC.

Not to mention the difference in terms of ergonomy between Canon and Sony with that big lens.
I know, I never seem to take the logical path
No, seriously, I considered that of course. But I already own and use the A7rII for all shooting other than birding/wildlife, and I was not ready to spend 3000,- on the 5DIV, simply because I am positive that within a few years, Canon will have an EOS-R ready that is a match for the Sony bodies. Also, the 5DIV is "only" 30.4 MP, and the A7rII is 42mp BSI. The lenses using refractive or diffractive optics b.t.w. are really, really small. The 400DOII is 23cm long.

Chris
04-10-2019, 08:01 AM - 13 Likes   #30937
Veteran Member

I reduce the sizes of my images typically by more than 50% before I post them on flickr. This one was full of details. I believe F/6.3 is where the Sigma 500mm F/4.5 is at its strongest with the K-3. Higher than that I think the combo starts to run into diffraction.

04-10-2019, 08:13 AM   #30938
Veteran Member

One reason one switched to Sony is because of their 400mm F/2.8 flourite lens. It's a beauty but I would cost me.
Look at the Canon 400mm f2.8L lens, the last version. If there is a thing that stop photographers to jump from Canon to Sony, then the L lenses are in my opinion the biggest reason, with the second being the Pro support that is unmatch by any other manufacturer.
04-10-2019, 11:52 AM - 9 Likes   #30939
Pentaxian

Cross posted from the K5 thread

The combination with the DA* 300 F4 just works for me
04-10-2019, 03:26 PM   #30940
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by swip Quote
Nicely done.
Thanks.

Cheers,
Terry
04-10-2019, 03:32 PM   #30941
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by Dan Rentea Quote
Look at the Canon 400mm f2.8L lens, the last version. If there is a thing that stop photographers to jump from Canon to Sony, then the L lenses are in my opinion the biggest reason, with the second being the Pro support that is unmatch by any other manufacturer.
Good technical support isn’t what I’ve heard about Canon over the years. Recently one of my flickr contacts wrote his experiences with Canon tech support on Flickr.
04-10-2019, 04:17 PM - 18 Likes   #30942
Pentaxian

I'm back from an afternoon in the park.

The day started off with this guy, he has string of conneted burrows under he snow, this one has many entrances and this one doesn't even have foot prints going to it. Obviously he got there in a snow tunnel.

There's still couple of feet of snow, but there is open water in the creeks of Algonquin. Costello Creek.

Speaking of tunnels under the snow, this guy was taking stored food from his tunnel and eating it out in the fresh air.

What's a winter visit to the park without Pine Martens?

A "lifer" for me, a Horned Lark. Fortunately there was someone there who knew what it was. I wouldn't have.

I stopped at the Whitney Dam because a rare to the area duck ( A Widgeon) was reported there a few days ago, all I got was this heron. With wild critters you take what you get.
04-11-2019, 03:26 AM   #30943
Unregistered User

Good technical support isn’t what I’ve heard about Canon over the years. Recently one of my flickr contacts wrote his experiences with Canon tech support on Flickr.
Yeah, well, if my experience is any guide, Ricoh has no customer support at all. The people at Precision are very nice folks but have to call Ricoh for permission to do anything for a customer.
04-11-2019, 04:13 AM - 9 Likes   #30944
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by normhead Quote
With wild critters you take what you get.
Stunning images Norm.

I concur with the comment - I visited a local park (Northland NZ) and the following birds were abundantly in attendance. (I ignored the seagulls and the ducks) Oh well. :
Chaffinch & Silver Eye

And sparrows

K3 & 55-300
04-11-2019, 04:45 AM - 1 Like   #30945
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by dlh Quote
Yeah, well, if my experience is any guide, Ricoh has no customer support at all. The people at Precision are very nice folks but have to call Ricoh for permission to do anything for a customer.
I’m not a big fan of any particular brand anymore. I’m just think some of these brand fans are irrational but that is what being a fan is about I suppose.
I’ll take your word for that and it is to bad. There was a time when (if memory serves me correctly), Pentax had the best product support rated by JD Power.