Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version 91906 Likes Search this Thread
04-29-2019, 07:38 AM - 2 Likes   #31036
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery | Albums

Titmouse Busted Thanks to an Extra 26mm
K-1 mII, M400f5.6 & 26mm extension tube, Godox T660 manual flash

It took me a while, but I finally figured out the benefit of extension tubes for reducing the senselessly long minimum focal length of these older telephoto lenses. Although my impetus for purchasing was the K500 (10m minimum focal distance!), the M400 benefits as well as shown here. I snagged a "manual extension tube set" for Pentax for $25, but it was actually the auto-extension tube set that typically sells for twice that or more. I also got a backup purchase since I rarely win auctions, for another $50. I think I'll only need a single set, so if you're interested, watch the Marketplace.

04-29-2019, 07:48 AM   #31037
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by luftfluss Quote
Good lord is that pine marten adorable...
One tried to get into T's tent on a guided trip last year. She had to punch it in the nose to keep it out. It sprayed her tent, making it hard to sleep and it had to be washed in the lake the next morning. Almost as bad as skunk. Our dogs have been sprayed many times. Like many other things, as you get to know them, you discover they're only cute from distance.
04-29-2019, 09:13 AM   #31038
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by WPRESTO Quote
+1 on that, but in fact humans find the majority of Carnivora attractive and appealing, otherwise why would we have dogs & cats as pets?
I find dogs & cats to generally be more engaging and pleasant company than humans.

QuoteOriginally posted by normhead Quote
One tried to get into T's tent on a guided trip last year. She had to punch it in the nose to keep it out. It sprayed her tent, making it hard to sleep and it had to be washed in the lake the next morning. Almost as bad as skunk. Our dogs have been sprayed many times. Like many other things, as you get to know them, you discover they're only cute from distance.
I still want one.
04-29-2019, 09:50 AM   #31039
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by luftfluss Quote
I still want one
A friend of mine litter trained her pet ferret, (and it litter trained all it's off-spring.) it might be possible with a Pine Marten, but as a wild animal, that would be completely illegal. I once had a small weasel climb into my son's pants pocket at a camp site and we think it went to sleep there. They seem to be agreeable enough to human company. I still wonder if that Pine Marten just wanted to have a nice warm cosy corner of her tent to snooze in. He'd just eaten a days supply of snacks from the food barrel he knew how to open. They had to put a small lock on it to keep him out.

04-29-2019, 10:14 AM   #31040
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Albums
In Yorkshire, England there's a tradition of "ferret-legging" - a competition so see how long you can keep a ferret down your trousers. A friendly old Yorkshireman gave my wife a full explanation in a pub in Leeds. After he left I congratulated her on the "authentic" experience - she just said his dialect was so strong she didn't understand a word he said! Sorry, no ferret images to go with this one.
04-29-2019, 10:28 AM   #31041
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by jacamar Quote
In Yorkshire, England there's a tradition of "ferret-legging" - a competition so see how long you can keep a ferret down your trousers. A friendly old Yorkshireman gave my wife a full explanation in a pub in Leeds. After he left I congratulated her on the "authentic" experience - she just said his dialect was so strong she didn't understand a word he said! Sorry, no ferret images to go with this one.
That's the Costello Creek Pine Marten, he said to send you his regards.

Here in Canada, crazy immigrant Scots used to walk around with ferrets to chase rabbits out of their holes so they could shoot them. I'm pretty sure it's still illegal to hunt with a ferret in your pocket in Canada.

Everyone knows, if it's something Scots do, there must be something wrong with it.
Meanwhile the hounds preferred by English hunters run free in deer season. They're always turning up on country roads somewhere and need to be returned to their owners. My buddy Joe, (Joe is native, he must have learned about hounds from the English) went looking for one of his hounds last week and found three dogs, not his, that needed to be returned. His came back by itself after week. The snow got so deep his three dogs were able to jump the backyard fence. Two came home for dinner.

But I digress...

Last edited by normhead; 04-29-2019 at 10:45 AM.
04-29-2019, 11:03 AM - 5 Likes   #31042
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Here in Canada, crazy immigrant Scots used to walk around with ferrets to chase rabbits out of their holes so they could shoot them.
According to Wikipedia ferret-trousering originated with poachers who needed to hide their ferrets from gamekeepers.

As we have seen in previous posts, one look at the teeth of those martens quickly dispels the "cute" factor - a previous shot of Mr. or Mrs. Costello.

04-29-2019, 01:08 PM - 22 Likes   #31043

04-29-2019, 01:22 PM - 12 Likes   #31044
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery

The close focusing of the DA*300 F4 is very useful for macro-looking shots. Cross posted from KP thread

---------- Post added 04-29-19 at 10:25 PM ----------

Hi Sutherland. These are great BIF shots. Especially the tern
04-29-2019, 01:55 PM   #31045
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by jacamar Quote
According to Wikipedia ferret-trousering originated with poachers who needed to hide their ferrets from gamekeepers.
When I lived in Perth, Ontario, I actually knew a few of those old Scots who hunted with ferrets....
04-29-2019, 03:10 PM   #31046
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

When I lived in Perth, Ontario, I actually knew a few of those old Scots who hunted with ferrets....
We need a Yorkshireman on here to confirm that they thought of it first. Anyway, you can't do "ferret trousering" when you're wearing a kilt.
04-29-2019, 03:23 PM - 15 Likes   #31047
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

I see that @WPRESTO posted some thoughts on the A 2x-L Converter.

Here's a trio I recently shot with the A 2x-L + Tamron 65B 400/4 Adaptall, a combo he notes can provide "good results".

The chipmunk is a 50% crop (then resized, obviously) and the squirrel had 75% of the frame cropped away. I used an old Velbon tripod.

04-30-2019, 08:36 AM - 10 Likes   #31048
Pentaxian

DFA 150-450

04-30-2019, 10:14 AM   #31049
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

On SF Bay marsh:
With K3, DA*300. 1.4X TC
Attached Images
View Picture EXIF
PENTAX K-3  Photo 
View Picture EXIF
PENTAX K-3  Photo 
View Picture EXIF
PENTAX K-3  Photo 
04-30-2019, 01:44 PM - 8 Likes   #31050
Veteran Member

DA*300 & K3 and it all happens in 1/2 second (assuming K3 took (at least) 6 frames per second

Concentration

Miissing

Look behind you