Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
05-08-2019, 09:03 PM   #31126
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by luftfluss Quote
Wow, that's not good. I had no idea the critters made it to the Pacific NW.
I had no idea they are such a threat to the environment. I saw a smaller one couple of weeks back. Reading how they multiply quickly, this is definitely not good.

05-09-2019, 02:43 AM - 13 Likes   #31127
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Magpie in a gum tree...a typical Australian scene.
K-3 II, DFA 150-450, handheld. See exif for shot details.

Cheers,
Terry
Attached Images
View Picture EXIF
PENTAX K-3 II  Photo 
05-09-2019, 04:43 AM   #31128
Man With A Camera
Loyal Site Supporter

Location: The Great Pacific Northwet, in the Land Between Canada and Mexico
Photos: Gallery | Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by chickentender Quote
. . . . . . and Starlings.
Starlings.

There is another invasive species we could do without.

Brought to North America by a British guy who thought they were pretty.

He released them on the East coast, and the starling has multiplied to a point where it has out competed other birds over the entire continent. They are greasy looking things, and gather in huge flocks of thousands of birds. Their droppings foul the places they choose to roost. They nest communally, some acting as sentries to guard the nest. They are really quite intelligent, and learn quickly to avoid any mechanisms that man puts in place to eradicate them.
05-09-2019, 05:07 AM - 8 Likes   #31129
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery
K3, 150-450, and a Waterthrush that didn't mind that I was near.

05-09-2019, 05:16 AM - 4 Likes   #31130
Seeker of Knowledge
Loyal Site Supporter

very nice, it is great to have a " cooperative model " to work with

" don't mind me, I'm a post or reed or grass

any thing except an

American Bittern Botaurus lentiginosus "

American Bittern Overview, All About Birds, Cornell Lab of Ornithology

SOOC except for crop

crop and pp

I love this lens and the versatility it gives me.
Attached Images
View Picture EXIF
PENTAX K-3 II  Photo 
View Picture EXIF
PENTAX K-3 II  Photo 

Last edited by aslyfox; 05-09-2019 at 05:22 AM.
05-09-2019, 05:26 AM   #31131
Seeker of Knowledge
Loyal Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by Racer X 69 Quote
Starlings.

He released them on the East coast, and the starling has multiplied to a point where it has out competed other birds over the entire continent. They are greasy looking things, and gather in huge flocks of thousands of birds. Their droppings foul the places they choose to roost. They nest communally, some acting as sentries to guard the nest. They are really quite intelligent, and learn quickly to avoid any mechanisms that man puts in place to eradicate them.
according to the NYT:

" The year was 1890 when an eccentric drug manufacturer named Eugene Schieffelin entered New York City's Central Park and released some 60 European starlings he had imported from England. In 1891 he loosed 40 more. Schieffelin's motives were as romantic as they were ill fated: he hoped to introduce into North America every bird mentioned by Shakespeare. . . . "

100 Years of the Starling - The New York Times

article is from September 1, 1990
05-09-2019, 05:51 AM - 14 Likes   #31132
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery
K3 and 150-450.

The alligator was getting some sleep just before the rain hit.

Found this Purple Gallinule while making my way back to the car during the rain.

05-09-2019, 06:53 AM - 12 Likes   #31133
Pentaxian

New arrivals, a returning pair of Rose Breasted Grosbeaks, probably the ones that have nested just down the hill from us for the last few years.

One of 6 Blue Jays who will probably be with us for the summer now.

The neighbourhood Ruffed Grouse

Male Purple Finch

And we had a short visit to the park, yesterday. We went looking for a moose, and we found a moose. How rare is that?

DA* 60-250 with HD DA 1.4 TC

Last edited by normhead; 05-09-2019 at 07:14 AM.
05-09-2019, 12:14 PM - 8 Likes   #31134
Veteran Member

Starlings.

Indeed. Luckily I get few of them in my yard at my feeders... have only seen 2 or 3 this season (and not a single House Sparrow which is miraculous - they're all hanging out at McDonald's) but I've a BB gun in the closet next to my patio slider. They seem to KNOW when I'm coming for them - I've yet to have one stick around long enough to be targeted.

---------- Post added 05-09-19 at 12:17 PM ----------

Something a bit different from the 67 300/4.0.... My landlord hard at work.

05-09-2019, 12:47 PM - 2 Likes   #31135
Man With A Camera
Loyal Site Supporter

Location: The Great Pacific Northwet, in the Land Between Canada and Mexico
QuoteOriginally posted by chickentender Quote
Indeed. Luckily I get few of them in my yard at my feeders... have only seen 2 or 3 this season (and not a single House Sparrow which is miraculous - they're all hanging out at McDonald's) but I've a BB gun in the closet next to my patio slider. They seem to KNOW when I'm coming for them - I've yet to have one stick around long enough to be targeted.
Years ago I had a small cabin with a wood stove. When autumn came I loaded some kindling and built a fire. The whole place filled with smoke.

Seems starlings had built a nest in the chimney, which had a horizontal run where it exited the cabin wall. On the outside, the elbow that turned the chimney upwards had rusted through, and the birds used the hole to access the pipe. Apparently they didn't mind the creosote and smokey environs.

So I cleaned out the chimney, and being too cheap to buy new chimney pipe, I took some chicken wire and baling wire, and fashioned a screen to keep them out.

A few months later, in the spring, those starlings were out there, ripping the wire off, and in no time had a nest built.

I tried to redo the screen, but they just ripped it open.

So I laid in wait with a shotgun. Only had one or two chances to shoot any though. There was always at least one bird sitting on the roof of the cabin, standing watch. Anytime I was present, the one guarding the chimney nest would make a racket, squawking and strutting back and forth. All the other birds would become wary and stay away until I would leave.

Nuisances!
05-09-2019, 01:39 PM - 1 Like   #31136
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Years ago I had a small cabin with a wood stove. When autumn came I loaded some kindling and built a fire. The whole place filled with smoke.

Seems starlings had built a nest in the chimney, which had a horizontal run where it exited the cabin wall. On the outside, the elbow that turned the chimney upwards had rusted through, and the birds used the hole to access the pipe. Apparently they didn't mind the creosote and smokey environs.

So I cleaned out the chimney, and being too cheap to buy new chimney pipe, I took some chicken wire and baling wire, and fashioned a screen to keep them out.

A few months later, in the spring, those starlings were out there, ripping the wire off, and in no time had a nest built.

I tried to redo the screen, but they just ripped it open.

So I laid in wait with a shotgun. Only had one or two chances to shoot any though. There was always at least one bird sitting on the roof of the cabin, standing watch. Anytime I was present, the one guarding the chimney nest would make a racket, squawking and strutting back and forth. All the other birds would become wary and stay away until I would leave.

Nuisances!
We had a two story house we built with a tile roof (Wet coast) and had to do a lot of work with foam guns to keep them out. Your chimney friends are reminiscent (and not pleasantly). We managed to keep them out of the chimneys because they were metal, and their nests wouldn't stick. We welded heavy hog wire to reinforce the chicken wire in the top of the double chimney. Before we got the trick, we had six come down the chimney and end up in th fireplace. It took days to get rid of the soot after we shooed them out (with extreme difficulty!)
05-09-2019, 06:29 PM - 3 Likes   #31137
Seeker of Knowledge
Loyal Site Supporter

Eared Grebe Podiceps nigricollis

male in breeding plumage

Eared Grebe Overview, All About Birds, Cornell Lab of Ornithology
Attached Images
View Picture EXIF
PENTAX K-3 II  Photo 

Last edited by aslyfox; 05-09-2019 at 06:40 PM.
05-10-2019, 08:39 AM - 20 Likes   #31138
Pentaxian

DFA 150-450

05-10-2019, 10:19 AM - 4 Likes   #31139
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by Canada_Rockies Quote
We had a two story house we built with a tile roof (Wet coast) and had to do a lot of work with foam guns to keep them out. Your chimney friends are reminiscent (and not pleasantly). We managed to keep them out of the chimneys because they were metal, and their nests wouldn't stick. We welded heavy hog wire to reinforce the chicken wire in the top of the double chimney. Before we got the trick, we had six come down the chimney and end up in th fireplace. It took days to get rid of the soot after we shooed them out (with extreme difficulty!)
I am fairly certain now that my local starlings read Pentax Forums; must have seen me bad-mouthing them here and gloating that they'd not been around much....because since literally one hour after that post I've had a foursome of them making feeder raids every hour or two. I *nearly* got a shot off on one of them but the other saw me and spooked him the moment of, and he took flight so I missed. I can't do anything in the morning hours because the sun comes in our east windows making any movement inside apparent and they take off quick ..... But once Noon rolls around the reflection/glare is good enough that I can creep to the sliding door. Now it's a mission, but maybe I shouldn't have said anything to begin with.

Conversely, we've our yearly pair of Violet-green swallows nesting in a ventilation hole up in the eaves of our house. I'm happy, far more than happy, to have them there. Here's is the soon-to-be-papa, as of just 10 minutes ago, guarding the flight path to the nest entrance.

P K-3 | DA*300

Last edited by Eyewanders; 05-10-2019 at 10:32 AM. Reason: make the typos go away
05-10-2019, 10:37 AM - 19 Likes   #31140
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Albums
Some migrant warbler shots from Rondeau and Point Pelee on the north shore of Lake Erie over the last few days.

Palm Warbler

Nashville Warbler

Black-and-White Warbler

A good year for Hooded Warblers. It's been several years since I was able to get an image of one.

Black-throated Blue Warbler

Prothonotary Warbler

K-3, DA*300 - it was gloomy at times so some were taken without the 1.4 x TC.