Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
08-18-2019, 01:23 PM - 8 Likes   #31546
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery
To see just how shallow I can make the depth of field, I took this with my A 400mm f/5.6 plus extension tube.

08-18-2019, 07:14 PM - 1 Like   #31547

Does a Viewfinder Magnifier help at all? I started many years ago with my dad's old Spotmatic, so I'm not unfamiliar with manual focus, and I also do a lot of glassing with binoculars and a spotting scope.
08-18-2019, 10:01 PM - 2 Likes   #31548
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by 5shot Quote
Does a Viewfinder Magnifier help at all? I started many years ago with my dad's old Spotmatic, so I'm not unfamiliar with manual focus, and I also do a lot of glassing with binoculars and a spotting scope.
Do you mean the O-ME53? I have one installed on my K-3 II and K-70. It's helpful for manual focusing, although (for me) it makes it difficult to see the edges of the frame while looking through the OVF.
08-18-2019, 10:02 PM   #31549
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by Wasp Quote
To see just how shallow I can make the depth of field, I took this with my A 400mm f/5.6 plus extension tube.

Nice! I've been thinking about trying my A400 with the PENTAX Helicoid Extension Tube K

08-19-2019, 09:59 AM   #31550

QuoteOriginally posted by luftfluss Quote
Nice variety! I hope the critters will be willing subjects for you.

Here's a few of my local critters shot with the K 500/4.5. The deer and hawk were @ f/5.6, the fox @ f/6.7, the squirrel wide open.
Do you happen to have a Lens Correction profile for this lens for Light Room?
08-19-2019, 10:35 AM   #31551
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Do you happen to have a Lens Correction profile for this lens for Light Room?
I don't think anybody ever came up with one.

The CA can be really... vicious.
08-19-2019, 02:30 PM   #31552

Yes it can!

08-19-2019, 02:36 PM - 1 Like   #31553
Seeker of Knowledge
Loyal Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by luftfluss Quote
Do you mean the O-ME53? I have one installed on my K-3 II and K-70. It's helpful for manual focusing, although (for me) it makes it difficult to see the edges of the frame while looking through the OVF.
PENTAX Magnifier Eyecup O-ME53 reviews - Pentax Camera Accessory Review Database

I like the one I have on my K 3 and K 3 II
08-19-2019, 04:06 PM - 1 Like   #31554
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

I started with an Asahi Pentax S. The original Spotmatic microprism screen was, IMHO, about the easiest/best manual focusing system. When I got a Pentax LX ASAP I replaced the doughnut + split-image screen for an all-microprism center. The only modern DSLRs that are as good for manual focusing for me are my current MFT bodies, especially my Olympus EM10 mk II. The focus-peaking assist visible through the viewfinder is exceptionally easy to use.
08-20-2019, 08:00 AM   #31555
Pentaxian

Yes, it has helped me a lot, particularly with fast lenses. Some other things that help is to do a DOF preview if you're stopping down, and to use the EVF if possible. I occasionally wish for a hybrid-type EVF because although the magnifier helps, it isn't the complete solution.
08-20-2019, 09:06 AM - 8 Likes   #31556
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery
Hi 300m members !

I am not very active nowadays, but always appreciate all the posts here and in PF threads... nice work!

This is an example of a "missed" photo that has captured a special moment: An underwing that is having a pee in flight!

Sphinx colibri en train de faire pipi en vol / Hummingbird clearwing Having a Pee in Flight [Hemaris thsybe]

I never heard or saw anything like that that before now!

I guess that is because they eat so much nectar, that they would become too heavy, or would "explode" if the excess of water is not evacuated?
I did a search on the Net and I found a link** about that phenomen for the bees. So, that would not be "urine" they eject, but they are rather "voiding water"...
If you have any other interesting reference about that, do not hesitate to share them!

-----
**No Privacy: Photograph Captures Bee Peeing Mid-Flight - Geekologie
Extract:
"Bees excrete ammonia and uric acid from their Malphigian tubules (insect version of kidneys). It ends up looking more like bird guano than a liquid stream like this. It is sort of dry and can vary in color from white to yellow.

What you are seeing in this photo is a bee voiding water. Voiding water is common in Bumble bees and honey bees as they have a high metabolic water production. Nectar has a high water content which not only provides the sugar necessary for activity but also an excess of water. This excess water needs to be removed in order to maintain a balanced water budget.

It's not urine, so it's not peeing. It's just water."
08-20-2019, 09:19 AM   #31557
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by Weevil Quote
Hi 300m members !

I am not very active nowadays, but always appreciate all the posts here and in PF threads... nice work!

This is an example of a "missed" photo that has captured a special moment: An underwing that is having a pee in flight!

I never heard or saw anything like that that before now!

I guess that is because they eat so much nectar, that they would become too heavy, or would "explode" if the excess of water is not evacuated?
I did a search on the Net and I found a link** about that phenomen for the bees. So, that would not be "urine" they eject, but they are rather "voiding water"...
If you have any other interesting reference about that, do not hesitate to share them!

-----
**No Privacy: Photograph Captures Bee Peeing Mid-Flight - Geekologie
Extract:
"Bees excrete ammonia and uric acid from their Malphigian tubules (insect version of kidneys). It ends up looking more like bird guano than a liquid stream like this. It is sort of dry and can vary in color from white to yellow.

What you are seeing in this photo is a bee voiding water. Voiding water is common in Bumble bees and honey bees as they have a high metabolic water production. Nectar has a high water content which not only provides the sugar necessary for activity but also an excess of water. This excess water needs to be removed in order to maintain a balanced water budget.

It's not urine, so it's not peeing. It's just water."
Fascinating!
08-20-2019, 12:39 PM - 1 Like   #31558
Seeker of Knowledge
Loyal Site Supporter

Red-billed teal Anas erythrorhyncha in the Serengeti

Red-billed Teal or Duck
Attached Images
View Picture EXIF
PENTAX K-3  Photo 
08-20-2019, 03:05 PM   #31559
Des
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by Weevil Quote
If we had a Hall of Fame for this thread, you'd be in the first round of inductees, Weevil. Four of the most-liked posts in the top 20, including the all-time #1, which is one of the best images ever posted on this Forum. Great to hear from you.
08-20-2019, 08:26 PM - 3 Likes   #31560
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Yes it can!
Unfortunately, the only way I know of to somewhat mitigate the CA is to work on it manually. Sometimes I have to mask certain areas of the photo because I don't want removing CA to damage the subject. This is what I did in the squirrel photo I posted earlier, but I also did not remove some of the CA because removing it proved too destructive.

You can see there is still plenty of the cyan CA remaining, but IMO it doesn't impact the aesthetic of the photo, so I left it alone.