Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
02-08-2020, 07:53 PM - 6 Likes   #32836
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery
We had a couple woodducks entering the house in the chimney in the last couple years, and I thought I'd install a house for them in the backyard...
Well the 1st visitor was an Eastern Screech owl... (that was however expected... not sure he'll stay long.)

Petit-duc maculé / Eastern Screech Owl [Megascops asio]

Last edited by Weevil; 02-08-2020 at 08:19 PM.
02-08-2020, 11:37 PM   #32837
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by Des Quote
Swamp wallaby mother and joey, drawn by the bird seed spillage. K-3 + FA*300 f4.5

Cute photos!
02-09-2020, 02:04 AM - 1 Like   #32838
Des
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by skolkmeier Quote
Wonderful pics. Thx.
QuoteOriginally posted by Pentikonian Quote
Cute photos!
Thanks very much to both of you. If you are interested there are more shots of our wallabies (taken at shorter focal lengths so not for this thread) in the furry animals thread here, here, here, here and here

Last edited by Des; 02-09-2020 at 01:08 PM.
02-09-2020, 08:50 AM - 15 Likes   #32839
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery | Albums
I went hiking yesterday into the Cameron Road parking lot, where thousands of bird pictures used to be taken every winter. The steady visits by people bearing bird seed meant you could always find a healthy mix of birds.

This year, for whatever reason the road ins't plowed. I walked in on snowshoes yesterday ( 6kms) breaking trail 2/3s of the way to see if any birds are still around. The normally productive spot now has 6 Bluejays as it's entire population.

K-3 and DA 55-300 PLM.

And they were really happy to see me. Squabbles broke out in the overhead tree as I stamped down an area to put some bird seed. As soon as I moved away all 6 were on the ground filling their gullets and flying off to store food somewhere.

Last edited by normhead; 02-09-2020 at 10:48 AM.
02-09-2020, 04:02 PM - 17 Likes   #32840
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Albums
Couple of high ISO shots from Costa Rica

Pit Viper (K-3, DA* 300m) - another advantage of telephoto - personal safety!

Emerald Toucanet (K-3, DA* 300mm with 1.4x TC)

02-09-2020, 06:56 PM - 9 Likes   #32841
Pentaxian

sigma 150-500os...k-3ii

02-10-2020, 05:37 AM - 1 Like   #32842
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by normhead Quote
I went hiking yesterday into the Cameron Road parking lot, where thousands of bird pictures used to be taken every winter. The steady visits by people bearing bird seed meant you could always find a healthy mix of birds.

This year, for whatever reason the road ins't plowed. I walked in on snowshoes yesterday ( 6kms) breaking trail 2/3s of the way to see if any birds are still around. The normally productive spot now has 6 Bluejays as it's entire population.

K-3 and DA 55-300 PLM.

And they were really happy to see me. Squabbles broke out in the overhead tree as I stamped down an area to put some bird seed. As soon as I moved away all 6 were on the ground filling their gullets and flying off to store food somewhere.
A variety of bird species have crashed in the Northeast. Back in the 1970's-80's we would have a score and more of evening grosbeaks at feeders in the winter, but it's been twenty years at least since I've seen just one. The other thing that has declined drastically are fireflies. When we first moved here the boys would catch a jar full on a warm evening. Now I have to wait and wait to see one lonely blink. According to a recent report, firefly number have dropped dramatically almost everywhere, to the extent that they are almost certain to go extinct in many areas quite soon. Multiple causes are listed, but all of them trace to one primary problem that no one is even thinking of addressing = too many people.

02-10-2020, 08:38 AM - 1 Like   #32843
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by WPRESTO Quote
A variety of bird species have crashed in the Northeast. Back in the 1970's-80's we would have a score and more of evening grosbeaks at feeders in the winter, but it's been twenty years at least since I've seen just one. The other thing that has declined drastically are fireflies. When we first moved here the boys would catch a jar full on a warm evening. Now I have to wait and wait to see one lonely blink. According to a recent report, firefly number have dropped dramatically almost everywhere, to the extent that they are almost certain to go extinct in many areas quite soon. Multiple causes are listed, but all of them trace to one primary problem that no one is even thinking of addressing = too many people.
It was an incredible food year in the bush this year. Birds that would normally be at my feeders are still living in the bush. Tess and I walk up to five miles day, and there are places where we see hundreds of finches up in the trees, and the ground is littered with the husks of the seeds they eat after every snow fall. It's quite possible this was such good food year the finches just didn't go south. As for too many people... that's the elephant in the room with global warming an everything else. no one wants to talk too many people, or the resulting loss of habitat. I just find it interesting that where I live where people aren't allowed to settle and habitat loss isn't an issue with 7000 square km of protected land, everything that seems to be at risk elsewhere is doing just fine. Lots of finches at my feeders, lots of bees etc in my gardens.
02-10-2020, 09:20 AM - 16 Likes   #32844
Veteran Member

K-1/150-450mm

Marsh Tit
by Mike.Pursey, on Flickr
02-10-2020, 09:48 AM - 6 Likes   #32845
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by Mike.P® Quote
K-1/150-450mm

Marsh Tit
by Mike.Pursey, on Flickr
I'm looking at our Black Capped Chickadee... hmmmmm.

or

02-10-2020, 10:15 AM   #32846
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by WPRESTO Quote
That is unfortunately getting worse by the day. Our dog's favourite ground squirrel chasing grounds are covered in new houses today.
02-10-2020, 01:31 PM   #32847
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by normhead Quote
I'm looking at our Black Capped Chickadee... hmmmmm.
I thought the same at first and had I seen a marsh tit flying around I would have just assumed it to be a yet another black capped chickadee. Although now I know there is debate as to how far separated tits and chickadees are.
02-10-2020, 02:22 PM   #32848
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by MossyRocks Quote
I thought the same at first and had I seen a marsh tit flying around I would have just assumed it to be a yet another black capped chickadee. Although now I know there is debate as to how far separated tits and chickadees are.
I've never been involved in those debates. They look a little different. That's good enough for me. Especially since Downey Woodpeckers and Hairy Woodpeckers look close to the same, and aren't related at all. You'd think in this day an age, someone would have done genomes of tits and chickadees. Why would this even be the subject of debate?
02-10-2020, 04:14 PM - 1 Like   #32849
Pentaxian

sigma 150-500os..k-3ii.....over exposed and wrong bird in focus but the content...…

02-10-2020, 04:27 PM - 3 Likes   #32850
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Well I was supposed to be accumulating some £££ for a new body, but then I spotted this.

This lens has such a great reputation that I wanted to check it out. It wasn't cheap but it seemed worth the money. And in the event I was able to get this KS2 body as well.

The sigma 100-300 F4 apo proved to be in excellent condition with a very good case and quality filter. But my test pics cast a cloud: the iq at 300mm f4 seems to be a bit off.

No problem at the shorter focal lengths (see some crops here). I disccussed this with the seller who wasn't any help, asked a second opinion at Cambrian Cameras (dismissive - film era lens what do you expect..) and tried an AF fine tune. Even at -10 the lens still seemed to be front focusing. But more pics from the feeders at the Spinnies weren't so bad. KS2, f8-f11.

Had to move fast to catch the water rail before it scurried back into the bushes.

This was mere luck.

I think it is what it is: soft at f4, so-so at f5.6, good at f8+. Doesn't like tc's - I wasn't happy with results with the pentax DA 1.4x. AF mostly hits the spot. I would be interested to hear from other users of this lens how this compares.
But I like the KS2, very nice camera.

Last edited by marcusBMG; 02-11-2020 at 08:09 AM.