Nuthatch
by Mike.Pursey, on Flickr

Nuthatch

Nuthatch
02-13-2020, 12:34 PM - 1 Like   #32868
Veteran Member

I finally got round to processing some pics I took with my Miranda 75-300mm F/4.5-5.6 back way back in September! It may be a purple monster, but I'm still impressed with that wee lens - especially given that I can remove most of the purple fringing in post (though I did have to turn the settings up to max! You can still see fringing around the beak of the pigeon - but it done a good job of removing it, particularly around the eyes... and the feathers... look, there was purple fringing everywhere, okay!?

Note: the EXIF data says 600mm at F/1.7... I dont know where it got the 1.7 from, because it was an M-Lens, and I must have forgotten to manually set the focal length after using a 600mm lens a few days before! Whoops! It was used at 200-300mm mostly.

Last edited by cprobertson1; 02-14-2020 at 12:49 AM.
02-13-2020, 12:34 PM   #32869
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by WPRESTO Quote
A variety of bird species have crashed in the Northeast. Back in the 1970's-80's we would have a score and more of evening grosbeaks at feeders in the winter, but it's been twenty years at least since I've seen just one. The other thing that has declined drastically are fireflies. When we first moved here the boys would catch a jar full on a warm evening. Now I have to wait and wait to see one lonely blink. According to a recent report, firefly number have dropped dramatically almost everywhere, to the extent that they are almost certain to go extinct in many areas quite soon. Multiple causes are listed, but all of them trace to one primary problem that no one is even thinking of addressing = too many people.
Some winter birds feed in flocks, and where there are bird feeders, a flock will arrange them on their daily feeding route. An area where feeding has been totally dropped will get X-ed OFF of the flock's route. They won't even go there. To get goldfinches in the winter, I have to be sure to feed them seed in the summer when they are spread out more. Then when winter comes the ones that had been coming to my feeder will be sure their flock comes there. If I wait until winter to put out feed, I might never see a goldfinch in my yard until spring.

02-13-2020, 12:39 PM - 1 Like   #32870
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by normhead Quote
I'm looking at our Black Capped Chickadee... hmmmmm.

or

If you hold your nose and try to imitate a chicadee's tone and rhythm, saying "Chic - ah - dee - dee - dee," you can sometimes get them to answer back. Years ago, when I led nature walks, sometimes I'd have second or third graders try that. You should have seen their eyes when the birds replied to them over and over.
02-13-2020, 12:44 PM - 2 Likes   #32871
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery | Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by goatsNdonkey Quote
If you hold your nose and try to imitate a chicadee's tone and rhythm, saying "Chic - ah - dee - dee - dee," you can sometimes get them to answer back. Years ago, when I led nature walks, sometimes I'd have second or third graders try that. You should have seen their eyes when the birds replied to them over and over.
Cool, Tess used to lead youngsters on nature walks but never picked up on that. I wonder if tits say "chicka dee dee dee"

Or do they say "hey nice ___", oh never mind. I'm a slave to a wandering mind.
02-13-2020, 12:51 PM - 1 Like   #32872
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by goatsNdonkey Quote
If you hold your nose and try to imitate a chicadee's tone and rhythm, saying "Chic - ah - dee - dee - dee," you can sometimes get them to answer back.
Really you just wanted everyone who reads that post to try it for themselves.

Then you have the Barred Owl call of "Who cooks for you"
Or the rooser call of "happy birthday"

02-13-2020, 01:02 PM - 1 Like   #32873
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by normhead Quote
Cool, Tess used to lead youngsters on nature walks but never picked up on that. I wonder if tits say "chicka dee dee dee"

Or do they say "hey nice ___", oh never mind. I'm a slave to a wandering mind.
With some birds, you have to be a pretty good bird call impersonator to get a response, but Chickadees aren't that persnickety. Often they aren't terribly skittish about being near humans either if they are in good Chickadee habitat. You could probably use a lot of kinds of syllables, so long as you got the tone and rhythm close enough.

Yes, everybody try it.

Not just for kids, for old geezer photographers, too.
02-14-2020, 12:14 AM - 1 Like   #32874
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by Ducatigaz Quote
A couple of shots with my K-5/Sigma 800mm F5.6 APO EX/Kirk window mount/RRS BH-55 ballhead.

Great performance from the Sigma 800/5.6! It seems like an excellent lens! May I ask why you choose to shoot with the K-5 and have not upgraded to one of the newer K-3 or KP? I really love my K-5IIs IQ, but I feel that you have reasons behind your decision.
02-14-2020, 08:59 AM - 1 Like   #32875
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by redpit Quote
Great performance from the Sigma 800/5.6! It seems like an excellent lens! May I ask why you choose to shoot with the K-5 and have not upgraded to one of the newer K-3 or KP? I really love my K-5IIs IQ, but I feel that you have reasons behind your decision.
I have a K-3ii and that spends all its time on my FA*600mm F4 ED [IF]. I have tried the Sigma 800mm F5.6 APO on the K-3ii and it works really well.

When the new Pentax crop sensor camera is released, if it's OK then I will retire the K-5.

I would also quite like another K-3ii
02-14-2020, 01:42 PM - 1 Like   #32876
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by Ducatigaz Quote
I would also quite like another K-3ii
You sounds like me. I use to have a K-3 as a primary camera (the K2000 is now relegated to the kid) but then decided I wanted another body for astro to shoot wide and/or timelapse night shots so I got a partially broken k-500. Then last month got a K-3ii because apparently my K-3 needed a friend. So now at night I will run anywhere from 2 to 4 cameras (I will do start trails with my old Spotmatic F) and kind of want yet another astrotracer capable one since I wouldn't mind running the A*400/2.8 on a body, a couple of 50mm lenses on some bodies, star trails with film, and a series of long exposure shots with the broken K-500.
02-14-2020, 06:24 PM   #32877
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by MossyRocks Quote
So now at night I will run anywhere from 2 to 4 cameras (I will do start trails with my old Spotmatic F)
nice! ......generally run a K-r & K-50 for time lapse start trails....recently added a kodak retina Ia for a star trail on film....may add another film to the mix.....then either k-3ii or K-1 for some wide field stuff using astrotracer.....haven't really done much for deep sky objects with longer lenses (comet lovejoy) so been a minute maybe I should try again
02-14-2020, 06:25 PM - 2 Likes   #32878
Pentaxian

waiting on a hand out....sigma 150-500os...k-3ii

02-15-2020, 04:47 AM - 10 Likes   #32879
Pentaxian

Black-and-yellow broadbill from the Sandakan RDC. Picture was captured with my KP + DA300mm & TC1.4. When I shared it with my 9 years old son, he ask: Daddy, where do you shot this cartoon bird?

02-15-2020, 06:10 AM   #32880
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

I went really long with this one using the MTO 1000mm f/10 mirror lens I have on semi permanent loan. To get it to mount to my camera and maintain infiinty focus I have to use a teleconverter and the only one of those I own is a 2x so here's what I got at 2000mm and f/20. On a crop sensor I can only get about 2/3 of the moon in the frame so I had to stitch the images and figured why not shoot a pile and stack them and try doing a super resolution shot of the moon.

So here is my stitched stacked 2000mm shot of the moon from last saturday Feb 8:

Camera: K-3
Lens: MTO 1000mm f/10 + soligor 2x telephoto converter
1/40s
f/20
ISO 100

Individual frames were developed in RawTherapee and upscaled 2x using nearest neighbor
Frames were aligned using Hugin
Stacking of the frames was done using Hugin from the command line using the default settings for sigma clipping average
The stacked image was 12000x12000 and final edits were done in RawTherapee using its wavelet editing functions.