Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version 91908 Likes Search this Thread
05-19-2020, 10:12 AM - 5 Likes   #33556
Veteran Member

Sorry, even more bears - maybe I need to make my own 'Black Bear Thread'...

First guy on my walk was pretty close:

I asked him to pose standing for a shot, but he was quite rude and just sprinted away:

There was also the mother with her cubs:

05-19-2020, 11:16 AM   #33557
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery | Albums
You got a BiF.... Bear in Flight
05-19-2020, 12:08 PM   #33558
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by bertwert Quote
There was also the mother with her cubs:
This was probably the most dangerous shot you have but given where you are I'm sure you are bear aware. It looks like she didn't scent or see you as the cub isn't being sent up a tree.
05-19-2020, 12:47 PM - 5 Likes   #33559
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by MossyRocks Quote
This was probably the most dangerous shot you have but given where you are I'm sure you are bear aware. It looks like she didn't scent or see you as the cub isn't being sent up a tree.
In this shot here, I was downwind of them - I was also against a backdrop of trees, hard to see. And yes, I do take proper precautions...

As far as most dangerous shot... this one I posted here last week is more qualifying of that title, I think...

05-19-2020, 01:22 PM   #33560
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

In this shot here, I was downwind of them - I was also against a backdrop of trees, hard to see. And yes, I do take proper precautions...

As far as most dangerous shot... this one I posted here last week is more qualifying of that title, I think...
I think momma knows you are there, but she isn't upset yet.
05-19-2020, 02:11 PM   #33561
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by Canada_Rockies Quote
I think momma knows you are there, but she isn't upset yet.
Exactly... they let you know pretty well when they're upset...
05-19-2020, 03:18 PM   #33562
Des
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by luftfluss Quote
Mmm, so much detail in your Flickr image...
Many thanks Luftfluss. Proximity is the key.

QuoteOriginally posted by Canada_Rockies Quote
I was fascinated by the link to research. Given a hundred years or so, the cane toad will have a host of enemies
Unfortunately many species that prey on the toads are unlikely to adapt quickly enough. There is a lot of work going on to develop controls on cane toads (We've cracked the cane toad genome, and that could help put the brakes on its invasion) but it's a race against time.

05-19-2020, 04:34 PM - 2 Likes   #33563
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by MossyRocks Quote
Well I went back and reprocessed my moon shots taken at 2000mm and F/20 with the MTO 1000mm f/10 and old 2x teleconverter.

This is 329 shots with each one having the following stats:
Camera: K-3
Lens: MTO 1000mm f/10 + old Soligor M42 2x converter
Effective f/20
ISO 100
1/40s

And so you can see a full upscaled (with that many shots I figured why not try a super res shot) 100% crop from the resulting 144 MP image:
Now if I could only see a different side of the moon!!!!
Attached Images
View Picture EXIF
PENTAX K-3 II  Photo 
05-19-2020, 04:47 PM   #33564
Pentaxian

A respectful person has nothing to fear from bears. But being respectful means paying attention, and not given them food or getting in their faces. That's apparently to much to ask from some humans.
Exactly... they let you know pretty well when they're upset...
Tess was 15 feet away from a mother and cubs once. Mother snorted and took off one way. Tess back paddled like mad. At least here in Ontario we understand, You guys are in more danger driving to the corner store than we are from bears.

3 bear deaths in the park in 80 years of record keeping. Driving to the park is a lot more dangerous , many more fatilties driving. Yet no one ever says, "you guys are in a lot of danger going to the corner store, you got too close to a car."

I'm safer out here with the bears than most of you are where you Iive. Get a grip.

If you are disrespect fully and get in abears face and don't treat them with appropriate respect, that's not a bear problem, that's a people problem.

Last edited by normhead; 05-19-2020 at 04:53 PM.
05-19-2020, 06:14 PM - 8 Likes   #33565
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Black Kite, with 'take-away' meal.
K-3 II, DFA 150-450 + 1.4x TC, handheld. See exif for shot details.

Cheers,
Terry
Attached Images
View Picture EXIF
PENTAX K-3 II  Photo 
05-19-2020, 06:28 PM - 1 Like   #33566
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by normhead Quote
A respectful person has nothing to fear from bears. But being respectful means paying attention, and not given them food or getting in their faces. That's apparently to much to ask from some humans.

Tess was 15 feet away from a mother and cubs once. Mother snorted and took off one way. Tess back paddled like mad. At least here in Ontario we understand, You guys are in more danger driving to the corner store than we are from bears.

3 bear deaths in the park in 80 years of record keeping. Driving to the park is a lot more dangerous , many more fatilties driving. Yet no one ever says, "you guys are in a lot of danger going to the corner store, you got too close to a car."

I'm safer out here with the bears than most of you are where you Iive. Get a grip.

If you are disrespect fully and get in abears face and don't treat them with appropriate respect, that's not a bear problem, that's a people problem.
I hope this post isn't fully directed at me... I do my best to be respectful of the wildlife around here, and disturb it as little as possible.

However, I disagree, and say that fear is a good thing, and the average person should be scared of what the bear can do to them if it so chose to. Fear of wild animals leads to the respect of wild animals too...
05-19-2020, 07:14 PM   #33567
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

VAV bears, was it on this thread or another that it was noted 1) eastern black bears generally avoid humans and can be driven off by making a lot of noise (but beware of a sow with cubs); 2) grizzlies and the slightly bigger brown bears of the west and into Alaska are dangerous = quite willing to attack humans for food, not just when provoked*; 3) polar bears are deadly, even those raised by humans from tiny cubs will happily eat a human.

*Long ago I went to a presentation by a photographer who worked in Glacier Nat'l Park. He showed one sequence of a grizzly coming down a slope, then crossing a stream and coming right at him. He said it grabbed his hand, then let go and left. The last image he showed was his mangled hand taken after the bear left and he had run some distance in the opposite direction. Many stitches.
05-19-2020, 07:45 PM   #33568
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery
The National Park service in AK says stay 25yds from Moose and other big game, and 100 yards from bears.

There have been at least 5 fatal bear attacks in Alaska since I moved here in 2012, because I know of 5 in the last 3 years. Some were sows defending cubs, some were predatory; all were “wrong place, wrong time, wrong bear” situations. I know of several more close calls and maulings.

The rules in bear country as I understand it are pretty simple: Make noise so you don’t surprise them, don’t smell like food (or cologne, soap, shampoo, etc that could be confused by a bear as food), don’t go alone if you can help it (most bear attacks happen to people who are alone), and have some sort of deterrent (bear spray or a firearm) readily available on you (not in a pack or pocket) that you are proficient with.

Edit: Black bears are just as likely to view people as prey as brown bears and grizzlies, and it basically depends on what other food is around. Of the 5 death mentioned above, 3 were black bears and two were predatory. Polar bears see everything as food...

If you podcast, check this one out:

https://www.alaskapublic.org/2019/06/07/bear-awareness-and-safety/

Last edited by skierd; 05-19-2020 at 08:02 PM.
05-19-2020, 11:40 PM - 3 Likes   #33569
PEG Moderator
Loyal Site Supporter

Location: Highlands of Scotland... "Hold Infinity in the palm of your hand" - William Blake
"I'm Too Sexy For My Shirt"

"Cause I'm a model, you know what I mean
I shake my little tush on the catwalk"

05-20-2020, 01:50 AM - 10 Likes   #33570
PEG Moderator
Loyal Site Supporter

Location: Highlands of Scotland... "Hold Infinity in the palm of your hand" - William Blake
Field Full

Of fluffy cuteness...