Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery | Albums
DFA150-450

05-20-2020, 08:40 AM   #33572
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by normhead Quote
A respectful person has nothing to fear from bears. But being respectful means paying attention, and not given them food or getting in their faces. That's apparently to much to ask from some humans.
You are right about it being too much for some humans. My point about the dangerousness was that the worst place to be is between a mamma and cub(s) and that basically applies to most animals, not just bears. It's why we end up with stories of people getting tossed, trampled, gored by bison almost every year. These are also the people who do stupid things like this as well and it doesn't work out so well for them there either.

I've been out in the deep woods of northern Minnesota and am very aware of the various critters, even the ones the DNR insists aren't in the state like the cougar I've been 13 feet from. As far as being close to a bear I've been withing 6 feet of one once but it didn't see me as it was going after something in a hollowed out log. I came around a bend in the path at the top of a hill and on the other side there was a bear butt trying to get into the log. I walked away quietly and decided I wasn't hunting down that path that day.

The big problem up there now is that the properties are starting to turn over and a lot of people from the cities who are buying up there have no idea how to stay safe from critters. They have problems with the coons and bears in their trash, deer in their flower gardens, and missing cats and dogs that likely got picked off by the lynx or bobcats, coyotes, wolves, or cougar.
05-20-2020, 10:39 AM   #33573
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by MossyRocks Quote
You are right about it being too much for some humans. My point about the dangerousness was that the worst place to be is between a mamma and cub(s) and that basically applies to most animals, not just bears. It's why we end up with stories of people getting tossed, trampled, gored by bison almost every year. These are also the people who do stupid things like this as well and it doesn't work out so well for them there either.

I've been out in the deep woods of northern Minnesota and am very aware of the various critters, even the ones the DNR insists aren't in the state like the cougar I've been 13 feet from. As far as being close to a bear I've been withing 6 feet of one once but it didn't see me as it was going after something in a hollowed out log. I came around a bend in the path at the top of a hill and on the other side there was a bear butt trying to get into the log. I walked away quietly and decided I wasn't hunting down that path that day.

The big problem up there now is that the properties are starting to turn over and a lot of people from the cities who are buying up there have no idea how to stay safe from critters. They have problems with the coons and bears in their trash, deer in their flower gardens, and missing cats and dogs that likely got picked off by the lynx or bobcats, coyotes, wolves, or cougar.
They don't have to be transplanted city dwellers. There are dummies everywhere. Our district distributed bear resistant garbage bins. The cost was included in the district's expenses at about C$120 per household. The objective was to reduce the instances of wildlife, particularly bear, from getting habituated to eating our garbage. Do you honestly think everyone used the bins?
05-20-2020, 11:40 AM   #33574
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by Canada_Rockies Quote
They don't have to be transplanted city dwellers. There are dummies everywhere. Our district distributed bear resistant garbage bins. The cost was included in the district's expenses at about C$120 per household. The objective was to reduce the instances of wildlife, particularly bear, from getting habituated to eating our garbage. Do you honestly think everyone used the bins?
I know the answer to that but it seems that the number of city dwellers who have no idea on how to deal with critters seems to outstrip that of the local long time residents who have no idea. Although the worst I've run into is the new neighbors for my like property who lives up there full time and took out almost all the trees on their 3.5 acres, put in grass and complain about the deer getting into their gardens, eating their ornamental trees, and the bears that are always tearing into their trash and hanging around their property now. They are also the ones who have had 3 dogs and 2 cats go missing in the last 2 years. One of my wife's uncles lives out in the foot hills of near Golden, CO on the old family homestead and as people have moved out there from the city they also have been discovering how wild life can become pests and problems when acclimated to humans. At the same time not all city dwellers are pig ignorant of the wild and can get along just fine in it without problem and not cause problems for others.

05-20-2020, 12:33 PM - 2 Likes   #33575
Veteran Member

No photos, but relevant to the discussion...

Living right among them, I've had a few close encounters; one I walked face to face many years ago just outside the house in my dressing gown - he was as startled as me and ran the other way as fast as he could without making a noise. Another was an injured curious bear who woke us up sleeping under the stars, he ripped open a friends sleeping bag who was in a hammock and then crushed a tent of another camper - the bear wasn't aggressive, but quite confused - later put down by the conservation officers due to his behaviour.

I've often heard of defensive bears woofing/snorting, but never experienced it until this morning... Just walking out of the fields and onto the forest path back towards home and heard a funny snorting noise right in front of me - though I didn't see anything. I saw a black flash go up a tree directly beside me... still no sign of mother, apart from continued woofing noise... needless to say, I backed out of there real quick and went an alternate route home.
05-20-2020, 12:46 PM - 26 Likes   #33576
Pentaxian

DFA 150-450

05-20-2020, 01:20 PM   #33577
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by zzeitg Quote
DFA 150-450

Great group of shots!

05-20-2020, 03:01 PM   #33578
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Albums
DFA 150-450

Cool Hummingbird Moth! They are not easy to shoot. Nice job.
05-20-2020, 03:29 PM   #33579
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

DFA 150-450
I tried to get a good picture of a hawk moth during the film era, but never succeeded as you have. The first image is IMHO the best of the group, but all of them are impressive.
05-20-2020, 10:24 PM - 14 Likes   #33580
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Couple of Lovebirds

Rosy-faced lovebirds to be exact. There's a resident flock in my neighborhood and after some research I learned that the Phoenix area is home to the only known feral lovebird population in the U.S. Lots of other fascinating info about these beauties here.

K1-II + DA*300mm w/ B+W CPL

Last edited by cooks333; 05-20-2020 at 11:05 PM.
05-20-2020, 10:35 PM   #33581
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery
DFA 150-450

I almost do not want to single any one post out because there are so many great posts, but the hummingbird moth photos are just about unequaled.
05-20-2020, 11:33 PM - 3 Likes   #33582
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by Canada_Rockies Quote
Great group of shots!
QuoteOriginally posted by rogerstg Quote
QuoteOriginally posted by WPRESTO Quote
I tried to get a good picture of a hawk moth during the film era, but never succeeded as you have. The first image is IMHO the best of the group, but all of them are impressive.
QuoteOriginally posted by mroeder75 Quote
I almost do not want to single any one post out because there are so many great posts, but the hummingbird moth photos are just about unequaled.
Thanks for your kind words, guys. This frenetically moving moth would be a good subject for K-3 III's testing of AF accuracy, speed and tracking capability in Pentax laboratory.

Another moth (easier to track):

05-21-2020, 06:26 AM   #33583
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by bertwert Quote
I hope this post isn't fully directed at me... I do my best to be respectful of the wildlife around here, and disturb it as little as possible.

However, I disagree, and say that fear is a good thing, and the average person should be scared of what the bear can do to them if it so chose to. Fear of wild animals leads to the respect of wild animals too...
Not directed at anyone in particular. I've just seen people hand feeding bears foxes and martins. It's only a matter of time before someone gets bit. The wild animal will get blamed and destroyed, not the person.

When I moved up here first thing I did was put in a bear proof garbage storage bin. But many locals refuse to put them in and use the bear in their back yard raiding the garbage cans as an excuse to shoot them.

Between the border collies and the bin, bears have no reason to come to my yard, and get run off if they do. A few young bears have turned up, once the dogs have run them off they don't come back. The older bears come but don't get any food and don't come back. There's a common theme here. Managing bears has to do with human behaviours, not anything about bears.

They only go where they have reason to go.

That being said, I photographed dump bears a few times, and they are way more dangerous than bush bears for a number of reasons. My strategy in that situation is go with group of 6, at least one of whom has enough experience with bear behaviour to read the signs.
05-21-2020, 08:26 AM - 23 Likes   #33584
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by WPRESTO Quote
QuoteOriginally posted by rogerstg Quote
Thanks for your kind words, guys. This frenetically moving moth would be a good subject for K-3 III's testing of AF accuracy, speed and tracking capability in Pentax laboratory.

Another moth (easier to track):
QuoteOriginally posted by mroeder75 Quote
@zzeitg might have quicker reflexes than I do but I've found the best way to photograph hummingbird moths is to study them for a bit before shooting. They seem to be pretty methodical as they go about feeding, and I've found I have a decent shot at predicting where they are going.

A 400/5.6

If I guess right and prepare, I can even shoot with my Tamron Adaptall 90/2.5 Macro...

Last edited by luftfluss; 05-21-2020 at 08:33 AM. Reason: typo
05-21-2020, 10:39 AM   #33585
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by luftfluss Quote
@zzeitg might have quicker reflexes than I do but I've found the best way to photograph hummingbird moths is to study them for a bit before shooting. They seem to be pretty methodical as they go about feeding, and I've found I have a decent shot at predicting where they are going.

A 400/5.6
None of those things around here, otherwise I'd be spending hours trying for a comparable shot... I'll settle on the struggle with bees...