Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version 91810 Likes Search this Thread
05-27-2020, 10:13 AM - 5 Likes   #33631
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by bertwert Quote
These things are a real pain for us here... but I'm quite happy with the detail from the A 400...
When we had our last dog, Lady, those things saved her life.

Lady was a Smooth Collie bitch who had spent 5 years in an old folks home after an abuse filled puppyhood. She was 19 inches at the shoulder and weighed 52 pounds (24 Kg) when we picked her up. The old folks home, where my wife was a shift lead RN for 50 patients, was going to put Lady down because she was constantly ill. She would eat anything that hit the floor, and was given other things by the residents. The home was one floor, and outside was maybe 6 inches (15 cm) below the floor at the door where she was let out. My wife brought her home on a one month trial. 5 days later my wife bought a District of Sparwood dog license for her.

She couldn't climb into a car, so I lifted her in when we brought her home. She had to learn to navigate stairs to get to the doggy bathroom, and did fairly quickly. As to the original line in this old man's gabby post, we took her for walks in the fields which were full of ground squirrels. I only know of one person who claims her dog caught one -- she owned a German Shepherd and it is remotely possible that is true. The progress over three months can be boiled down to: Walk, Stroll, Trot, Run, Canter (do dog's canter?), gallop and RUN*. She also was reduced to 37 pounds of dog in very good health. She drove us insane for 6 years, as any dog will do. We both miss her.

*After the first year Lady caught up to a 15 year old on in line skates half way down the 7% four lane paved hill we live on in two houses down from a standing start in our carport. The teen was a good enough skater to just stop and glare at us without crashing. Needless to say, we needed CPR when Lady nipped at the heels trying to herd the teen.

05-27-2020, 10:28 AM   #33632
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery
DA* 300 on KP

BIG. C17 I think.
Attached Images
View Picture EXIF
PENTAX KP  Photo 
05-27-2020, 11:03 AM   #33633
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by Canada_Rockies Quote

Lady was a Smooth Collie bitch who had spent 5 years in an old folks home after an abuse filled puppyhood. She was 19 inches at the shoulder and weighed 52 pounds (24 Kg) when we picked her up. The old folks home, where my wife was a shift lead RN for 50 patients, was going to put Lady down because she was constantly ill. She would eat anything that hit the floor, and was given other things by the residents. The home was one floor, and outside was maybe 6 inches (15 cm) below the floor at the door where she was let out. My wife brought her home on a one month trial. 5 days later my wife bought a District of Sparwood dog license for her.

She couldn't climb into a car, so I lifted her in when we brought her home. She had to learn to navigate stairs to get to the doggy bathroom, and did fairly quickly. As to the original line in this old man's gabby post, we took her for walks in the fields which were full of ground squirrels. I only know of one person who claims her dog caught one -- she owned a German Shepherd and it is remotely possible that is true. The progress over three months can be boiled down to: Walk, Stroll, Trot, Run, Canter (do dog's canter?), gallop and RUN*. She also was reduced to 37 pounds of dog in very good health. She drove us insane for 6 years, as any dog will do. We both miss her.

*After the first year Lady caught up to a 15 year old on in line skates half way down the 7% four lane paved hill we live on in two houses down from a standing start in our carport. The teen was a good enough skater to just stop and glare at us without crashing. Needless to say, we needed CPR when Lady nipped at the heels trying to herd the teen.
Give us tales like this, and you can be as gabby as you like - and we will welcome it!
05-27-2020, 11:31 AM   #33634
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by Canada_Rockies Quote

Great story - our old dog (a rottweiler/lab mix of sorts) caught a few on occasion, we were quite shocked when she turned up with one in her mouth. Later we saw her get one too. Our current Maremma will chase them all the time, and when they go down the hole, she'll lie there and whine as well as sometimes digging away. I wouldn't be too surprised if she got one someday, with the volume of them around...

The problem with them here is all the holes they put in the ground. Perfect for horses and livestock to break a leg in. Not to mention that they are very good at getting into gardens and eating everything.

05-27-2020, 03:18 PM - 4 Likes   #33635
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

These are with the primitive tamron 400mm f7.5 (except #1 - sigma 18-125mm @ 30mm, Grand Hotel arrowed). #2 1:1 pixel peep crop (some atmospheric turbulance). #6 hand held.
A clumsy lens to use, the whole barrel rotates when focussing, no TM. I am making a custom plate to act as a palm rest, bean bag rest and provide a tripod mount point.
But of the t-mount 400's it's a sharp one.
Attached Images
View Picture EXIF
PENTAX K-S2  Photo 
View Picture EXIF
PENTAX K-S2  Photo 
View Picture EXIF
PENTAX K-S2  Photo 
View Picture EXIF
PENTAX K-S2  Photo 
View Picture EXIF
PENTAX K-S2  Photo 
View Picture EXIF
PENTAX K-S2  Photo 
05-27-2020, 08:39 PM   #33636
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by marcusBMG Quote
These are with the primitive tamron 400mm f7.5 (except #1 - sigma 18-125mm @ 30mm, Grand Hotel arrowed). #2 1:1 pixel peep crop (some atmospheric turbulance). #6 hand held.
A clumsy lens to use, the whole barrel rotates when focussing, no TM. I am making a custom plate to act as a palm rest, bean bag rest and provide a tripod mount point.
What inspired this acquisition?
05-27-2020, 08:50 PM - 14 Likes   #33637
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by monochrome Quote
Awesome! I’ve seen them feeding a few times in my life (usually on blooming lavender) but never had a camera with me at the time.
Thank you. I've only seen them in recent years, but there is a pond nearby where I can reliably find several from late July to early August. AFAICT this group feeds exclusively on wild bergamot, which puts them in competition with the swallowtail butterflies.

And... well, you already know of my affection for the A 400/5.6

Attached Images
View Picture EXIF
PENTAX K-3 II  Photo 
View Picture EXIF
PENTAX K-3 II  Photo 
View Picture EXIF
PENTAX K-3 II  Photo 
View Picture EXIF
PENTAX K-3 II  Photo 
05-28-2020, 05:00 AM - 10 Likes   #33638
Pentaxian

Another 5am start.K-5/Sigma 800mm F5.6 APO EX/RRS BH-55/Kirk window mount.

05-28-2020, 06:53 AM   #33639
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by luftfluss Quote
What inspired this acquisition?
Curiosity, as a sample lens for my mega 400mm lens test, and I have a little collection of tamron 1960's presets: 200mm f5.9 and 6.3; 250mm f4.5 (a plum); 300mm f5.6 (turns out to be optically pretty identical to the adaptamatic); 350mm f5.6; 400mm f6.9 (the nestar); 450mm f8. The nestar started it really... see my review.
05-28-2020, 09:46 AM - 1 Like   #33640
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by Ducatigaz Quote
Another 5am start.K-5/Sigma 800mm F5.6 APO EX/RRS BH-55/Kirk window mount.
That hare seems mighty suspicious of you!
05-28-2020, 09:47 AM   #33641
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Curiosity, as a sample lens for my mega 400mm lens test, and I have a little collection of tamron 1960's presets: 200mm f5.9 and 6.3; 250mm f4.5 (a plum); 300mm f5.6 (turns out to be optically pretty identical to the adaptamatic); 350mm f5.6; 400mm f6.9 (the nestar); 450mm f8. The nestar started it really... see my review.
Looking forward to it.
05-28-2020, 10:48 AM - 12 Likes   #33642
Pentaxian

DFA 150-450

05-28-2020, 11:06 AM - 5 Likes   #33643
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

There are a lot of Red Kites around where we live in the south of England. Yesterday, we found that a young Blue Tit must have fallen out of its nest as we found it on the ground in our garden, already dead. So, as there were kites circling, we put the little body on the roof of my wife's art cabin to see if we could return it to nature. I had taken up position with the PLM, and took this composite of two shots from a burst as a kite made an approach to the little body. The kite missed, but within seconds, a magpie came along and snaffled it... 55-300 PLM, 1/1000 second, f6.3 at 170mm, ISO 400, composited in Photoshop. (Sorry; I know this is the 300mm thread, but I did use a 300mm lens - at 170mm though.)
Attached Images
View Picture EXIF
PENTAX K-3 II  Photo 
05-28-2020, 02:20 PM - 6 Likes   #33644
Pentaxian

Some of these are labelled 600mm, but they are all 340 with the DA*200 and F 1.7x AF TC.

05-29-2020, 05:40 AM   #33645
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery
Interesting...
What is the distance of the hotel and your shooting place?
yo should add this as a review under here: Tamron 490 400mm f7.5 Lens Reviews - Tamron Lenses - Pentax Lens Review Database