QuoteOriginally posted by Sqideyes Quote
Fairy Wrens
I need a bird that color blue.

09-03-2020, 01:33 PM   #34172
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by dbs Quote
Hi Rod

Yes Rod but the pidgeons are 1,000 to 1 to the crows, the galahs thats a bit closer.

Dave
Pigeons are are actually Rock Doves. Originally, in the wild places in Europe they came from, they nested along cliffs. But here and now they have adapted to using building ledges, bridge structural members, barn lofts, and similar man-made things as substitutes. They have an amazing range of colorations and patterns, and perhaps we shouldn't forget the value of homing pigeons (same species), who at one time were very valuable for communication. In World War I, peoples lives were saved because of military communiques carried by homing pigeons.
09-03-2020, 02:46 PM   #34173
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by goatsNdonkey Quote
Pigeons are are actually Rock Doves. Originally, in the wild places in Europe they came from, they nested along cliffs. But here and now they have adapted to using building ledges, bridge structural members, barn lofts, and similar man-made things as substitutes. They have an amazing range of colorations and patterns, and perhaps we shouldn't forget the value of homing pigeons (same species), who at one time were very valuable for communication. In World War I, peoples lives were saved because of military communiques carried by homing pigeons.
Even in areas where true wild rock doves exist, e-bird will not accept a sighting of a rock dove, the will only accept the ferrel pigeon / rock pigeon sighting. I have had some sightings rejected even in regions where the wild rock dove is documented.

It would seem they are going to declare it as extinct in the wild and only consider the feral pigeon as a species shortly
09-03-2020, 03:14 PM   #34174
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

That may be, but I knew a guy who went to grad school, and his ornithology teacher only called them "rock doves." My friend said he got so confused, because when he looked around all he could see were pigeons.

They are still remarkable birds, though I generally think very negative thoughts about introduced species. Anybody who's ever seen your "feral pigeions" darting between moving taxi-cab wheels to pick up green popcorn on the streets of Chicago, the day after St. Patrick's day, can't fail to be impressed!

QuoteOriginally posted by Lowell Goudge Quote
Even in areas where true wild rock doves exist, e-bird will not accept a sighting of a rock dove, the will only accept the ferrel pigeon / rock pigeon sighting. I have had some sightings rejected even in regions where the wild rock dove is documented.

It would seem they are going to declare it as extinct in the wild and only consider the feral pigeon as a species shortly

09-03-2020, 03:20 PM   #34175
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery
QuoteOriginally posted by MossyRocks Quote
I need a bird that color blue.
The eastern bluebird is pretty spectacular but still somewhat rare. Active programs of nesting boxes and trails of nest boxes maintained by volunteers has helped them make a comeback in the last 40 years or so. They were pretty much pushed out of their normal nesting area by sparrows and starlings introduced from Europe in the early 20th century and their populations plummeted.

The western mountain bluebird is much more common. We usually see some when we visit Yellowstone.

I saw an eastern bluebird stop by my yard this year for a few minutes. The first one I have ever seen in the 35+ years we have lived here.
09-04-2020, 06:49 AM - 6 Likes   #34176
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

DFA 150-450.
f13, shutter 1/1000, iso800.
Attached Images
View Picture EXIF
PENTAX K-1 Mark II  Photo 
09-04-2020, 06:51 AM - 14 Likes   #34177
Veteran Member

So many Wrens.... so little time.

09-04-2020, 07:39 AM   #34178
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by gaweidert Quote
I saw an eastern bluebird stop by my yard this year for a few minutes. The first one I have ever seen in the 35+ years we have lived here.
I think I saw an eastern bluebird this spring, it matched some sample photos I look up, but it was only briefly on my deck and flew away . Other than that one time I haven't seen one. You are right about them being rather spectacular to see though.
09-04-2020, 08:04 AM - 17 Likes   #34179
Pentaxian

A few recent pictures. K-3ii/FA*600mm F4 ED [IF]/RRS BH-55/Kirk window mount.

K-5/Sigma 800mm F5.6 APO EX/RRS BH-55/Kirk window mount.

Taken at around 500m

09-04-2020, 08:05 PM - 21 Likes   #34180
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Albums
Well, it's been a pretty lousy Pardalote season so far what with lockdowns and weather. I've heard a few, fewer than normal, but not been able to get close to any. Until today, finally found a nesting pair
Attached Images
View Picture EXIF
PENTAX K-3  Photo 
View Picture EXIF
PENTAX K-3  Photo 
View Picture EXIF
PENTAX K-3  Photo 
View Picture EXIF
PENTAX K-3  Photo 
View Picture EXIF
PENTAX K-3  Photo 
View Picture EXIF
PENTAX K-3  Photo 
View Picture EXIF
PENTAX K-3  Photo 
09-04-2020, 09:15 PM   #34181
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by alfa75ts Quote
Well, it's been a pretty lousy Pardalote season so far what with lockdowns and weather. I've heard a few, fewer than normal, but not been able to get close to any. Until today, finally found a nesting pair
Lovely images of very pretty birds.
09-04-2020, 09:30 PM   #34182
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by Canada_Rockies Quote
very pretty birds
They have to be my favourite, as small as a mouse, as quiet in flight as a Butterfly, braver than a lion (proportionally), curious as a cat, but unseen and unknown to most people.
09-05-2020, 03:35 AM - 6 Likes   #34183
Pentaxian

A morning at the beach, Ocean Beach, Northland NZ

K3 & HD 55-300
09-05-2020, 04:05 AM - 4 Likes   #34184
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Mamiya reflex/mirror lens.

A few shots with several flower shots at MFD or near MFD and a distant (about 400 yards) treeline.

KIT: K-1 with Mamiya 645 C 500mm f 8.0 reflex/mirror lens.
Attached Images
View Picture EXIF
PENTAX K-1  Photo 
View Picture EXIF
PENTAX K-1  Photo 
View Picture EXIF
PENTAX K-1  Photo 
View Picture EXIF
PENTAX K-1  Photo 
09-05-2020, 08:46 AM   #34185
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by Arjay Bee Quote
A morning at the beach, Ocean Beach, Northland NZ
K3 & HD 55-300
Don't you know that Pentax equipment doesn't work for action shots? I love the backlit effect.

QuoteOriginally posted by ivanvernon Quote
A few shots with several flower shots at MFD or near MFD and a distant (about 400 yards) treeline.

KIT: K-1 with Mamiya 645 C 500mm f 8.0 reflex/mirror lens.
Nice work. It sort of shoots down all the negativity about mirror lenses, doesn't it.