Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version 91913 Likes Search this Thread
11-17-2020, 06:27 PM - 1 Like   #34501
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by Des Quote
Thanks Rod. The Limiteds and star lenses get all the glory (and the best of them are special), but for what it is, I think the PLM is one of the unsung heroes of the Pentax range.
From the introduction of the first version the 55~300mm was a better lens than it had any right to be for the price and FL range.

11-17-2020, 07:07 PM   #34502
Des
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by normhead Quote
I dropped one one and it broke in half.
So did I: What to avoid with your 55-300 PLM lens! - PentaxForums.com They need a little care.
QuoteOriginally posted by WPRESTO Quote
From the introduction of the first version the 55~300mm was a better lens than it had any right to be for the price and FL range.
Yes even the humble DA-L 55-300mm f4-5.8 has good resolution and is excellent value.
11-17-2020, 10:01 PM   #34503
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by Des Quote
Yes even the humble DA-L 55-300mm f4-5.8 has good resolution and is excellent value.
I had one, but couldn't tolerate the lack of quick shift, so now I have the next version.
11-17-2020, 10:32 PM   #34504
Des
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by Canada_Rockies Quote
I had one, but couldn't tolerate the lack of quick shift, so now I have the next version.
I posted a review of the DA-L recently and set out my views there. Lack of QS never really bothered me - the AF was quite accurate and I could always flick the switch on the camera to MF or press the lens release button, if I needed MF. YMMV. The bigger incremental improvement I think was the later addition of WR and HD coatings.

There was a DA-L (apparently in very good condition) in the marketplace recently for $US50, which seems like unbelievable value to me.

11-18-2020, 12:46 AM   #34505
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery
QuoteOriginally posted by rkappleby Quote
Hello - I haven't posted forever but I look in from time to time to see this thread - I encountered an unusual bird and thought I would share a photo of the little fellow. I had noticed an unusual bird coming to my feeder and couldn't figure out what it was - I was able to get a photo and it appears to be a leucitic Mountain Chickadee - I am posting a typical Mountain Chickadee and then the leucistic version. I've never seen one before...
Both are excellent images and it's hard to believe they're one and the same species. So different.
11-18-2020, 04:13 AM   #34506
Pentaxian

Hello - I haven't posted forever but I look in from time to time to see this thread - I encountered an unusual bird and thought I would share a photo of the little fellow. I had noticed an unusual bird coming to my feeder and couldn't figure out what it was - I was able to get a photo and it appears to be a leucitic Mountain Chickadee - I am posting a typical Mountain Chickadee and then the leucistic version. I've never seen one before...
+1 for HoutHans' comment! A lucky find of the leucistic specimen.
Best.
11-18-2020, 05:34 AM - 14 Likes   #34507
Pentaxian

Over here, we do have an Albino kingfisher chick on last year, unfortunately I didn't pay a visit earlier on, spotted for a few days at the park and it's gone

Albino kingfisher chick draws birding community to East Coast Park, Environment News & Top Stories - The Straits Times

11-18-2020, 10:21 AM   #34508
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

KP with DA*300

Great Egret. Cropped.
Attached Images
View Picture EXIF
PENTAX KP  Photo 
11-18-2020, 12:44 PM - 15 Likes   #34509
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Not typical telephoto photography but it was taken with my K-3 and DA*300mm lens.

11-18-2020, 02:22 PM   #34510
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by jacamar Quote
Not typical telephoto photography
J- A very nice composition!
11-18-2020, 03:00 PM   #34511
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Amazing catch
11-18-2020, 05:19 PM   #34512
Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by HoutHans Quote
Both are excellent images and it's hard to believe they're one and the same species. So different.
QuoteQuote:
+1 for HoutHans' comment! A lucky find of the leucistic specimen.
Best.
Thanks for the comments

---------- Post added 11-18-20 at 05:21 PM ----------

QuoteOriginally posted by Pentaxians Quote
Over here, we do have an Albino kingfisher chick on last year, unfortunately I didn't pay a visit earlier on, spotted for a few days at the park and it's gone
That's really interesting - pure white Wow
11-19-2020, 02:02 AM   #34513
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by Pentaxians Quote

Albino kingfisher chick draws birding community to East Coast Park, Environment News & Top Stories - The Straits Times
Another rare find, Pentaxians and well captured!
Best.

---------- Post added 11-19-20 at 02:04 AM ----------

Not typical telephoto photography but it was taken with my K-3 and DA*300mm lens.

A real "moody" scene you captured! I like it a lot.
Best.
11-19-2020, 02:17 AM   #34514
Des
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

It's a lovely image Steven. As CV said, very moody.
11-19-2020, 04:41 AM   #34515
Pentaxian

As the others have also said: moody and the colours work very well. It may not be typical, but it is attractive.