Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version 91813 Likes Search this Thread
05-06-2021, 04:31 PM   #35851
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by jacamar Quote
First "warblering" attempts with the KR-3 III, using medium area selection with continuous AF for the first time. The camera seems to do a pretty good job of picking out the bird from the vegetation. These are all significant crops.

Black & White Warbler

Yellow Warbler

The bud seems to be in better focus than the feathers around the top of bird's head.

Palm Warbler

Plus a bonus shot of the Green Heron that's been very cooperative at Sam Smith Park recently.

K-3 III plus DA*300mm plus DA 1.4xTC
Typo in introduction? (...KR-3 III)?

The black and white warbler shot (I see ISO was 5000) is a bit noisy when magnified in Flickr. Difficult shot with the twigs in front of the bird.

Yes, the bud in front of the Yellow Warbler does seem to be the main focal point, but the bird still comes out very well.

The feather detail in the Palm Warbler shot is excellent.

That green heron looks like a very odd shaped bird. Noise here too when magnified in Flickr.

Perhaps you could have dropped your shutter speed and opened up the aperture a lot more for these shots? Or were you deliberately trying to test the noise level at the higher ISO levels?

Nonetheless - these all look good when not "pixel-peeped" to much!

05-06-2021, 05:42 PM   #35852
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by K2 to K50 Quote
Typo in introduction? (...KR-3 III)?

The black and white warbler shot (I see ISO was 5000) is a bit noisy when magnified in Flickr. Difficult shot with the twigs in front of the bird.

Yes, the bud in front of the Yellow Warbler does seem to be the main focal point, but the bird still comes out very well.

The feather detail in the Palm Warbler shot is excellent.

That green heron looks like a very odd shaped bird. Noise here too when magnified in Flickr.

Perhaps you could have dropped your shutter speed and opened up the aperture a lot more for these shots? Or were you deliberately trying to test the noise level at the higher ISO levels?

Nonetheless - these all look good when not "pixel-peeped" to much!
Thanks for the comments. Sorry for the typo - I still have a K-r tucked away here somewhere. I changed that. As I said these are major crops so the noise is accentuated. I agree the twig across the B&W Warbler probably would have fooled my K-3. I liked the shot as it shows a good illustration of its behaviour, creeping along branches and not as much flitting as most warblers. I did use customized noise reduction as suggested by Kobie in his video, linked above. The Heron has a number of poses, mostly staying very still until a fish comes along.
There's no way I could have reduced the shutter speed for the warblers - they move so fast (including twitching tail and wings when stopping for a brief moment) - I could have done that for the Heron. Still a learning processs as I've only had the camera for a few days.
05-06-2021, 07:08 PM - 6 Likes   #35853
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

some Starling (think so).
Attached Images
View Picture EXIF
PENTAX KP  Photo 
05-06-2021, 07:41 PM - 6 Likes   #35854
Pentaxian

from saturdays walkabout......K-3ii......sigma 150-500os

05-06-2021, 08:06 PM   #35855
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

First "warblering" attempts with the K-3 III, using medium area selection with continuous AF for the first time. The camera seems to do a pretty good job of picking out the bird from the vegetation. These are all significant crops.

Black & White Warbler

Yellow Warbler

The bud seems to be in better focus than the feathers around the top of bird's head.

Palm Warbler

Plus a bonus shot of the Green Heron that's been very cooperative at Sam Smith Park recently.

Stunning colours!
05-06-2021, 09:55 PM   #35856
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery
First "warblering" attempts with the K-3 III, using medium area selection with continuous AF for the first time. The camera seems to do a pretty good job of picking out the bird from the vegetation. These are all significant crops.

Black & White Warbler

Yellow Warbler

Palm Warbler

These are impressive results, especially in these - for the warblers - challenging circumstances. Enjoy that camera and lens combo: it should be very good.
05-07-2021, 01:17 AM - 5 Likes   #35857
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery
Willie Wagtail - KP 55-300 PLM @ 300. ISO 100, F8, 1/60

05-07-2021, 02:55 AM - 5 Likes   #35858
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Braeside again this morning:
Attached Images
View Picture EXIF
PENTAX K-3  Photo 
View Picture EXIF
PENTAX K-3  Photo 
View Picture EXIF
PENTAX K-3  Photo 
View Picture EXIF
PENTAX K-3  Photo 
View Picture EXIF
PENTAX K-3  Photo 
View Picture EXIF
PENTAX K-3  Photo 
05-07-2021, 04:05 AM   #35859
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Black & White Warbler

Yellow Warbler

Palm Warbler

Nice shots. I see you are getting the hang of the new toy.

Given the apparent high iso capability, are you shooting Tav with a high iso limit. That’s what I have been doing with the K1 MKII with the limit set to 6400
05-07-2021, 06:46 AM - 9 Likes   #35860
Pentaxian

I watched this guy for over 20 minutes yesterday. He certainly showed persistence. All taken with a K1 and DA*300.

He wanted to climb this pole that has a birdhouse at the top but he couldn't get a good grip.

So he climbed up a fence nearby to get into a tree 15 or so feet away.

He made his way up one tree and then across some limbs into another tree.

I was videoing so I didn't get a shot of him stretching out from a limb to get to the clothesline pole but he found his way there to the birdhouse.

And entered through the opening at the top to curl up inside.
05-07-2021, 07:11 AM   #35861
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Thanks Lowell. The challenge of photographing warblers was a major reason for getting this camera. I have the ISO limit set to 6400 and maybe I will go higher.
05-07-2021, 09:53 AM   #35862
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by mattt Quote
Stunning colours!
QuoteOriginally posted by HoutHans Quote
These are impressive results, especially in these - for the warblers - challenging circumstances. Enjoy that camera and lens combo: it should be very good.
Thanks Matt and HoutHans - yes, early days but things are looking good.
05-07-2021, 10:04 AM - 1 Like   #35863
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by blankmampf Quote
Nice shot I also like the out-of-focus stalks in the foreground, it really makes the scene seem like a slice directly out of nature. And good parents in nature are always a plus
I've seen the most endearing display a few days ago, a large bird (very funky red feathers on head, else grey, the younglings black coat with large white spots) was carrying her offspring on her back in the water.
I was really kicking myself for not having had my camera with me at that moment. I managed to take a picture with my smartphone (see here: Flickr), but of course the resolution is lacking compared to a large-sensor camera with a tele lens.
Thank you for your comment.

We've all been caught in that position when we wished we brought along a camera. That mother carrying her chicks is indeed precious. Guess that's why many of us love wildlife . . . . . . and photography, so that we can capture those moments.
05-07-2021, 10:17 AM   #35864
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Thanks Lowell. The challenge of photographing warblers was a major reason for getting this camera. I have the ISO limit set to 6400 and maybe I will go higher.
i run my K5 and K1 MKII on Tav up to 6400 iso, but am also playing with flash, because of the shaded conditions many warblers are under

so far not as successful using P-TTL as i was with TTL on my *istD. that was great for wildlife, using a good glash plus a snoot to concentrate the beam, i could get really good reach with the flash.
05-07-2021, 10:54 AM   #35865
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by Lowell Goudge Quote
so far not as successful using P-TTL as i was with TTL on my *istD. that was great for wildlife, using a good glash plus a snoot to concentrate the beam, i could get really good reach with the flash.
I suppose I have bad memories of crowded boardwalks at Point Pelee blocked by guys in fitted camo suits with tripods and several strobes going off at once as soon as the bird appears. Maybe I pay a price for a lower key approach - handheld, tripod only when I'm sitting and need support over long periods (or for critical long distance shots), and natural light, but that's the way I prefer it. I think the new camera helps me make the most of that way of doing things.