Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version 91865 Likes Search this Thread
05-17-2021, 06:47 PM - 1 Like   #36046
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Photos: Albums
One of the resident blue Herons, looking for dinner.
Sigma 50-500, KP.

Attached Images
View Picture EXIF
PENTAX KP  Photo 
05-18-2021, 03:34 AM   #36047
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by cmohr Quote
Hey Folks, those out there with the Sigma 500mm/F4.5 APO EX DG , I have just recieved a "MINT" condition lens from a seller in Japan, and have a question with regard to the focus collar, when you pull it backwards and forwards between Manual and AF does your focus collar click up into the AF position with an audible and tactile "Click" ???

I have the Sigma 300mm/F2.8 APO EX DG, and it's focus collar does have a nice click and it hold s it nicely in AF, but this new lens does not click up in that position, and I have found myself, accidentally knocking the collar backwards into manual focus.

Any one able to confirm the action on their copy of the 500mm would be appreciated

@Weevil @Ducatigaz @kengoh

Many Thanks cmohr
Can’t say for the 500/4.5 but my APO 70-200/2.8 EX (1999 version) has a slight tactile feel, but mostly what you hear is the focusing collar hitting the end stop when you slide it back and forth.
05-18-2021, 05:08 AM   #36048
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery
QuoteOriginally posted by Aaron28 Quote
had a fun afternoon
The first one looks like a missile!!
The second is quite a dramatic pose.
05-18-2021, 06:54 AM - 1 Like   #36049
Pentaxian

Hey Folks, those out there with the Sigma 500mm/F4.5 APO EX DG , I have just recieved a "MINT" condition lens from a seller in Japan, and have a question with regard to the focus collar, when you pull it backwards and forwards between Manual and AF does your focus collar click up into the AF position with an audible and tactile "Click" ???

I have the Sigma 300mm/F2.8 APO EX DG, and it's focus collar does have a nice click and it hold s it nicely in AF, but this new lens does not click up in that position, and I have found myself, accidentally knocking the collar backwards into manual focus.

Any one able to confirm the action on their copy of the 500mm would be appreciated

Many Thanks cmohr
I have just tried my copy of the Sigma 500mm F4.5 EX DG and there is no click when you slide the collar back and forward.

05-18-2021, 08:14 AM - 9 Likes   #36050
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Update on the K3 iii and DA 560. Starting to get more familiar with the knobs and settings now.
I limited some of my prior focus searching frustrations by using the focus limiter as I was shooting birds pretty close to me. I still emphasized spot focus, trying both AFS and AFC, with no real difference in terms of appreciating small subjects.
The K3iii still needs a pretty good spread to pick up focus. When I had spot focus right on the eye of this extremely cooperative quail, which was essentially filling the frame, the camera and lens would go off on a search. I had to lower the single focal point down to the thicker neck to accurately latch onto to the bird. My D500 and 500 PF combo was right next to my K3iii/560 tripod set up and when I picked it up I could nail the bird's eye every time hand held.
This shot was kind of tricky due to the harsh back lighting and the bird in shade. I had been playing with a two off camera flash set up for humming birds just off a feeder when the quail jumped up on the branch a few feet behind the set up. I couldn't adjust or aim the remote manual flashes (set at 1/16) without spooking the bird, so I just played with the shutter speed and aperture until I got what I felt was a fill flash look. The quail was a great subject, spending several minutes before dropping to the ground ,allowing me to experiment with various settings, conduct focus point experiments and compare the two cameras.

California quail

Here is a black-chinned hummingbird from the set up that the quail interrupted

Pardon the back to back posts, but I also played with the K3iii and DFA 150-450
I like this combo a lot as I really prefer to be mobile and handheld, which is easier than with the 560.
The single point focus issue is the same as I mentioned in the above post, making it difficult to quickly grab on to a small subject. This lens does focus much faster than the 560. I've always felt the image quality of each is great when you get everything right.
Between the K3iii ISO improvement and Topaz Denoise, I don't worry about ISO settings as much anymore and if not using a flash I'll likely use TAV most of the time.
This Steller's jay and its mate are busy feeding what I believe are four babies in nest set up atop an outdoor speaker on the deck. This is the second time they've chosen that location just off the front door to nest.
K3iii and DFA 150-450 at 450

The nest and two visible babies at ISO 3200

Last edited by riseform; 05-18-2021 at 09:59 AM. Reason: wrong photo replaced with correct one
05-18-2021, 02:18 PM   #36051
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by Lowell Goudge Quote
Can’t say for the 500/4.5 but my APO 70-200/2.8 EX (1999 version) has a slight tactile feel, but mostly what you hear is the focusing collar hitting the end stop when you slide it back and forth.
Thanks for that, my Sigma 300/2.8 has the same click and solid feel as the silver FA* lenses, so when this one didn't I wasn't sure . With so many variants of mechanisms out there , I just wanted a bit of peace of mind on this one.

QuoteOriginally posted by Ducatigaz Quote
I have just tried my copy of the Sigma 500mm F4.5 EX DG and there is no click when you slide the collar back and forward.
Excellent, Thanks Gary, exactly what I needed to hear. I really didn't want this Rare find in "Mint" condition to have a malfunction.

I really wanted this lens as a handheld Supertele option that is easier to walk around with, as you know, the FA*600/4 really needs to be on a mount of somesort, and when chasing birds, thats not always possible.
I think the K-3iii and the Sigma 500/4.5 is about half the weight and bulk of the K-1 and FA*600/4, actually, I'm impressed with just how compact the Sigma 500/4.5 is......... comparatively speaking of course.

Hopefully I can get out this weekend and see what it and the K-3iii can do.

Thanks again Guys .
05-18-2021, 02:48 PM - 1 Like   #36052
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Thanks for that, my Sigma 300/2.8 has the same click and solid feel as the silver FA* lenses, so when this one didn't I wasn't sure . With so many variants of mechanisms out there , I just wanted a bit of peace of mind on this one.

Excellent, Thanks Gary, exactly what I needed to hear. I really didn't want this Rare find in "Mint" condition to have a malfunction.

I really wanted this lens as a handheld Supertele option that is easier to walk around with, as you know, the FA*600/4 really needs to be on a mount of somesort, and when chasing birds, thats not always possible.
I think the K-3iii and the Sigma 500/4.5 is about half the weight and bulk of the K-1 and FA*600/4, actually, I'm impressed with just how compact the Sigma 500/4.5 is......... comparatively speaking of course.

Hopefully I can get out this weekend and see what it and the K-3iii can do.

Thanks again Guys .
FWIW I use the DA560 on a K1 MKII as a walk around tele, the DA560 weight is about 500 grams more than the sigma so it should be managable

05-18-2021, 04:35 PM   #36053
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by rod_grant Quote
The first one looks like a missile!!
The second is quite a dramatic pose.
yes! thanks! got quite lucky!
05-18-2021, 05:02 PM - 8 Likes   #36054
csa
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

First photos with my *300 f/4!

I notice it hunts a lot to focus, with the Tamron 1.4 tc. Is this normal, or would the Pentax tc help?
Attached Images
View Picture EXIF
PENTAX K-3  Photo 
View Picture EXIF
PENTAX K-3  Photo 
05-18-2021, 06:35 PM   #36055
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by riseform Quote
My D500 and 500 PF combo was right next to my K3iii/560 tripod set up and when I picked it up I could nail the bird's eye every time hand held.
Good to know you have a relative reference for expectations - I seriously considered a D500 + 200-500 - may still be in the cards...

This shot was kind of tricky due to the harsh back lighting and the bird in shade.
Do you think the relative contrast difference between Eye, and black feathers is contributing to the focus difficulty?

Pardon the back to back posts, but I also played with the K3iii and DFA 150-450
I like this combo a lot as I really prefer to be mobile and handheld, which is easier than with the 560.
The single point focus issue is the same as I mentioned in the above post, making it difficult to quickly grab on to a small subject.
I'm going to follow along - great posts / photo share.
05-18-2021, 06:58 PM - 1 Like   #36056
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by csa Quote
I notice it hunts a lot to focus, with the Tamron 1.4 tc. Is this normal?
Unfortunately yes, the K3 needs a bit more light for the AF. You just have to work with it.
05-18-2021, 07:03 PM - 11 Likes   #36057
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Braeside this morning, still not as many birds as normal, they must have really blown away. K3 Mk III, DA*300, Tamron-F 1.4 TC:
Attached Images
View Picture EXIF
PENTAX K-3 Mark III  Photo 
View Picture EXIF
View Picture EXIF
View Picture EXIF
View Picture EXIF
05-18-2021, 07:59 PM   #36058
csa
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by alfa75ts Quote
Unfortunately yes, the K3 needs a bit more light for the AF. You just have to work with it.
Thanks! I have a KP coming in tomorrow!
05-18-2021, 08:00 PM - 1 Like   #36059
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Many Thanks cmohr
No real click sound when pushing the collar back to the AF position, except I feel it re-engage the AF (rod in the?) mechanism at some point (I don't always feel that, maybe it may depends on the alignment with the AF screw?).

However, The FA*250-600 I have feels more like a "click" when I change the mode, whereas the Sigma feels more like "sliding" from a position to another
(Hard to explain in words)
05-18-2021, 09:41 PM - 1 Like   #36060
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by Weevil Quote
No real click sound when pushing the collar back to the AF position, except I feel it re-engage the AF (rod in the?) mechanism at some point (I don't always feel that, maybe it may depends on the alignment with the AF screw?).

However, The FA*250-600 I have feels more like a "click" when I change the mode, whereas the Sigma feels more like "sliding" from a position to another
(Hard to explain in words)

I know exactly the feel and sound you mean on the FA* lens, I have the FA*600/f4 and that's the feel that my Sigma 300/2.8 has got, I just was a little worried that the Sigma 500/4.5 didn't feel the same, and That it may have been defective, and may have been the reason I was able to find such a Mint condition version of the lens so cheaply ( just the pessimist in me I suppose ).

I really appreciate the input, and 1st hand knowledge of actual users of the lens to set my mind at ease.

Thanks Again