Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version 91793 Likes Search this Thread
05-23-2021, 09:22 PM   #36136
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by bertwert Quote
Some different processing to change things up a bit - monochrome (I don't really know what I'm doing here, but there's a circle and a bunch of colours in darktable, so I moved that around and adjusted the size of the circle until the green background got pretty bright...), then just a little bit of brown split toning to add a bit of colour back to the bear.

K-50 and A 400/5.6
Cool - it looks almost infrared.

05-23-2021, 10:56 PM - 19 Likes   #36137
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery
I had an enjoyable weekend with the K3iii and DA 560.
This combo will never match the focus speed and light weight maneuverability of the D500/500PF combo, but it's still a joy to work with.
Chris, I compared the image quality of each on similar objects and both produced excellent images.
Here's a California quail again, this time with a nice green distant background.

And doing a little slow shutter speed, underexposed, f/16 work with remote flashes near a feeder made for an interesting shot of this Black-headed grosbeak
05-24-2021, 02:55 AM   #36138
Pentaxian

Photos: Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by riseform Quote
I had an enjoyable weekend with the K3iii and DA 560.
This combo will never match the focus speed and light weight maneuverability of the D500/500PF combo, but it's still a joy to work with.
Chris, I compared the image quality of each on similar objects and both produced excellent images.
Here's a California quail again, this time with a nice green distant background.

And doing a little slow shutter speed, underexposed, f/16 work with remote flashes near a feeder made for an interesting shot of this Black-headed grosbeak
Thanks, I suspected as much! I used the DA560 for over 4 years, and the 500PF now for 1,5 years. What they have in common, is true prime image quality. Both have very good light transmittance, and that means your relative iso will always be a step lower at a given aperture compared to e.g. a superzoom or a shorter prime with a tc that render dimmer images at identical apertures. I noticed that especially when I went from the bare DA560 to the Canon 400DOII+1.4TC. The bare Nikon 500PF has a t-stop very close to the aperture no doubt. With the bare DA560 I was also always able to keep the iso down. With the K3III this may be less of an issue when it comes to noise, but high light transmittance still renders better images.
Apart from the AF, purple fringing and bokeh fringing, the DA560 is still a tremendous lens, and outperforms the 500PF when it comes to reach and pure detail i.m.o.

I read though, that it is now officially discontinued, and when I asked my camera store on possible delivery time (it is nowhere in stock anymore) they could not give me an answer.
05-24-2021, 04:49 AM - 4 Likes   #36139

Eye to eye with a squirrel carrying some bedding material

And a lazy lizard posing for the camera that 1:2 Macro mode on the Sigma 70-300mm DL is surprisingly useable.

First day back home, and I was able to receive the Tamron 65B 400mm F/4 as well as do a few test shots.
So far I'm impressed, it has very little CA even wide open, and seems to be sharpest at F/8. The 1.4x Teleconverter also doesn't seem to degrade image quality, and from pixel peeping side by side, using the TC actually seems to yield better image quality than using the lens stock and cropping in post

I'll have to see how well I can hand-hold it in real-life situations. In test shots, I was able to get decent results down to 1/250s with 560mm focal length (840mm equivalent on APS-C), which seems almost too good to be true. Maybe due to the relatively short length and high inertia?
Or maybe because I've done some air pistol and air rifle shooting a few years ago there definitely are similarities.

Cheers, everyone
Leon

Last edited by blankmampf; 05-24-2021 at 05:26 AM.
05-24-2021, 08:18 AM - 4 Likes   #36140
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

The babies are here

The red necked grebes have hatched.

DA560 on K1 MKII. About 50% crop
Attached Images
View Picture EXIF
PENTAX K-1 Mark II  Photo 
05-24-2021, 11:03 AM   #36141
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by bertwert Quote
I've been having a long look at picking up an Adaptall 300/2.8 (I believe you have one?) as the 60B pops up fairly often on ebay and the likes - thinking it would be nice to have something for lower light in the backyard mornings where I can get close to birds and not needing quite the range
Mind you that the mount from the 60B does NOT fit the K-3iii as it protrudes and hits the side of the mirror box! It was difficult to unmount it and thanks god it didn't damaged the mirror or leaved any marks on the side of the box that seems to be the point of contact...

PS: no problem with the K-1 though! Plenty of space inside the FF camera!
05-24-2021, 12:05 PM   #36142
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by redpit Quote
mount from the 60B does NOT fit the K-3iii as it protrudes and hits the side of the mirror box! I
Which adaptall mount were you using redpit?

05-24-2021, 12:18 PM   #36143

QuoteOriginally posted by RedRuff Quote
Apparently I haven't posted this one here before despite it being one of my fave photos. I've no idea what camera/lens combo I used though*

*it might have been my D300+500mm which would explain why I hadn't posted it - in which case, close your eyes and imagine it better quality taken by my K1+500mm
Not baaaaaaad!
05-24-2021, 12:25 PM   #36144
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by marcusBMG Quote
You’re right, I forgot to mention I use the original adaptall to K-mount adapter that offers equal to Pentax A-lens aperture control. It might not be a problem with other kinds of adapters.
05-24-2021, 12:31 PM   #36145
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Interesting - do you think it was the aperture lever itself that was catching? You can test to see if it is the guard by removing that - two small screws.
The PKM mount is a bit different - it doesn't have the guard, the aperture lever pivots (slides on the PKA). The length of the lever is the same on both.
If it is the lever, I suspect this might be fixed by taking off a few thou off the end.

Last edited by marcusBMG; 05-24-2021 at 12:36 PM.
05-24-2021, 02:01 PM   #36146
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Mind you that the mount from the 60B does NOT fit the K-3iii as it protrudes and hits the side of the mirror box! It was difficult to unmount it and thanks god it didn't damaged the mirror or leaved any marks on the side of the box that seems to be the point of contact...

PS: no problem with the K-1 though! Plenty of space inside the FF camera!
You’re right, I forgot to mention I use the original adaptall to K-mount adapter that offers equal to Pentax A-lens aperture control. It might not be a problem with other kinds of adapters.
Interesting - do you think it was the aperture lever itself that was catching? You can test to see if it is the guard by removing that - two small screws.
The PKM mount is a bit different - it doesn't have the guard, the aperture lever pivots (slides on the PKA). The length of the lever is the same on both.
If it is the lever, I suspect this might be fixed by taking off a few thou off the end.
I don’t get it. I use the PKA adaptor on my 200-500/5.6 and have used this lens on my K5. I would be surprised if any other body is different internally in the mirror box area
05-24-2021, 02:07 PM   #36147
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by Lowell Goudge Quote
I would be surprised if any other body is different internally in the mirror box area
So would I. I have used all the generations of adaptall PK mounts on: K-r, K5, K3-ii, K30 and KS2, without a problem like this. But it might only take a very slight difference. Another possibility: the slight difference is actually on the mount, the plastic guard slightly bent out of straight for example.
05-24-2021, 02:18 PM   #36148
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by Lowell Goudge Quote
The red necked grebes have hatched.
That's good news - I was worried that the eggs might not hatch after the soaking they had a few weeks ago,
05-24-2021, 04:27 PM - 2 Likes   #36149
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Talking about hatched eggs, goslings taken on a K-5iis + A* 300mm f4
Attached Images
View Picture EXIF
PENTAX K-5 II s  Photo 
View Picture EXIF
PENTAX K-5 II s  Photo 
05-25-2021, 07:46 AM - 8 Likes   #36150
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Pentax ME Super + Nikon 500mmF4/P using cheapo glassless adaptor, Kentmere Pan 400