Photos: Gallery
Black swallowtail butterfly on orange milkweed. DA*300/4 + HD 1.4X on KP

Attached Images

07-22-2021, 09:16 AM   #36557
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery
QuoteOriginally posted by Pentaxians Quote
A perfect mismatch family that I always wanted to capture it naturally. Last week, I finally recorded it down on my camera. A Banded Bay Cuckoo being fed by it's foster parent, a male Common Iora. Totally a perfect mismatch with one species feeding another totally non-related species.
Look at the mouth of the juvenile cuckoo, looks really scary with a mouth big enough to swallow its parent whole
Great series documenting the parasitic practice of some bird species.
07-22-2021, 01:25 PM - 10 Likes   #36558
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Albums
The light was unusually kind during the first part of this morning at Sam Smith Park

I see Black Swallowtail at the same spot in the Park year after year. It's the highest point - maybe 12 feet above the level of the Lake!

K-3 III, DA*300mm. DA 1.4x TC
07-22-2021, 01:44 PM - 1 Like   #36559
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by Mbaez Quote
Wow, how does that happen?
The cuckoos lay their eggs in a different species' nest.

07-22-2021, 03:16 PM   #36560
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by rod_grant Quote
Handheld? Pretty good either way.
thanks! ...monopole...amazon basics with a demon ball head db-20
07-22-2021, 04:53 PM - 3 Likes   #36561
Des
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Wonderful sets of images on this page. It's always a joy to see such diversity from around the world. (Especially while we are in lockdown again.)

Black Swans in the late afternoon at Sale Common, Victoria. KP + Kenko 1.5x TC + FA*300 f4.5.

07-22-2021, 04:59 PM   #36562
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by jacamar Quote
The light was unusually kind during the first part of this morning at Sam Smith Park

I see Black Swallowtail at the same spot in the Park year after year. It's the highest point - maybe 12 feet above the level of the Lake!

K-3 III, DA*300mm. DA 1.4x TC
Water looked pretty flat too. Nice series

07-22-2021, 06:32 PM   #36563
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by Lowell Goudge Quote
Following on the last couple of weeks posts about any ISO to get the shot

Taken last night at sunset.

K5 at 6400 ISO and Sigma APO 70-200/2.8 EX with 2x TC

Pretty good, especially considering your were using a 2x TC.
07-22-2021, 06:47 PM - 1 Like   #36564
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by Mbaez Quote
Wow, how does that happen?
Yes, it's a brood parasite behavior of the Cuckoo birds, using a sneaky strategy to raise its young.

QuoteOriginally posted by swip Quote
Great series documenting the parasitic practice of some bird species.
Thank you.
07-22-2021, 09:02 PM   #36565
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

A perfect mismatch family that I always wanted to capture it naturally. Last week, I finally recorded it down on my camera. A Banded Bay Cuckoo being fed by it's foster parent, a male Common Iora. Totally a perfect mismatch with one species feeding another totally non-related species.
Look at the mouth of the juvenile cuckoo, looks really scary with a mouth big enough to swallow its parent whole
What a great series! And I can imagine your delight at being able to witness it live, let alone photograph it. I am an avid watcher of nature documentaries, so knew about this sort of thing - but to see it live?
07-23-2021, 01:50 AM   #36566
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by K2 to K50 Quote
What a great series! And I can imagine your delight at being able to witness it live, let alone photograph it. I am an avid watcher of nature documentaries, so knew about this sort of thing - but to see it live?
Sometimes it really depend on luck, to be witness and photographed at the same-times. One thing that I notice, the juvenile will keep calling for the feeding, can watch out for this.
07-23-2021, 03:28 AM   #36567
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by K2 to K50 Quote
Pretty good, especially considering your were using a 2x TC.
You need to consider the lens system here, in. Total.
The sigma 2x Tc is not like an ordinary TC, it is only designed to be used on a very limited number of lenses made by sigma. Specifically long and fast tele and tele-zoom lenses such as

70-200/2.8
300/2.8
500/4.5
Etc.

Sigma uses a design similar to the Pentax L rear converter where the front element of the TC protrudes forward into the lens it is connected to.

As a result, unless the lens barrel has a minimum of 35 mm in internal diameter and the rear elements are recessed about 15 mm or more from the mount, it simply won’t fit .

There have been published lists of the lenses the TC will work with, and since it shares some design features in common with Pentax it obviously will also work on the similar range of Pentax F and FA fast tele lenses.

The sigma lens I am using is a screw drive lens, and was produced before the advent of the sigma DG (full frame digital) series lenses, although except for the coatings is optically the same as the very first APO 70-200/2.8 EX DG lens. The screw drive Macro version was reportedly softer at the long end, as were several of the HSM versions. It has served me well for over 20 years.
07-23-2021, 05:05 AM   #36568
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by Lowell Goudge Quote
Water looked pretty flat too. Nice series
Thanks Lowell - look forward to seeing you again there sometime.
07-23-2021, 07:32 AM - 6 Likes   #36569
Pentaxian

Yes, it's a brood parasite behavior of the Cuckoo birds, using a sneaky strategy to raise its young.

Thank you.
Sometimes it really depend on luck, to be witness and photographed at the same-times. One thing that I notice, the juvenile will keep calling for the feeding, can watch out for this.
A few years ago I had a nest of Carolina Wrens and someone mentioned that one of the birds in the nest was not a wren but a cowbird (based on a bright red throat). Brown-headed Cowbirds have a similar behavior and will lay a single egg in another bird's nest. I happened to have my camera at my son's house and saw a sparrow feeding a juvenile cowbird and got a few shots including these.

07-23-2021, 04:38 PM - 5 Likes   #36570
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

The old dog still knows it’s tricks

The summer season is here at my usual park, so not much changes day to day. I decided to leave my K1 and DA560 at home and take something lighter

This is about the lightest 500 mm AF possible. (Ok I could use the M series version and save a few grams) the K300/4 coupled to the SMF-F 1.7x AF converter = 500mm F6.7 weighing in at 1155 grams

This is about 1/2 the K5 frame, vertical crop out of the full height of a landscape shot

Edit note it is the later version lens smc PENTAX
Attached Images
View Picture EXIF
PENTAX K-5  Photo 
« *Macro* lens club | - »