Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
09-07-2021, 08:21 PM   #36856
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by Des Quote
Very impressive results Noel. Great capture in the second one with a slow shutter speed. Using a TC with a lens that isn't really fast requires that it be sharp wide open - the 150-450 seems excellent in this regard.

Olive Whistler. KP + DA 55-300 f4.5-6.3 PLM at 300mm. A little fill flash in second and third shots.
Great shots, Des! Love the first one with the berry in the mouth!

---------- Post added 09-07-21 at 08:22 PM ----------

QuoteOriginally posted by termy Quote
'Katie' with DFA 150-450.

Hope you guys like it.
I certainly like it - very nicely captured.

09-07-2021, 08:52 PM - 1 Like   #36857
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery
QuoteOriginally posted by MossyRocks Quote
Not bad. Saturn is rather featureless so about what I would have expected. I did jupiter with my old S-M-C 300/4 Takumar several years ago now with my K-3 and it was small in the frame and once I got a somewhat reasonable exposure you could tell there were some stripes but they were very small and I don't think much could be done with processing.
That'd be where you'd need to stack, and even then it'd be so tiny it may not be worth it.
09-08-2021, 12:52 AM - 6 Likes   #36858
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Albums
From my back door this morning. K3 Mk III, DA*300, Tamron-F 1.4 TC:
Attached Images
View Picture EXIF
PENTAX K-3 Mark III  Photo 
09-08-2021, 01:13 AM   #36859
Des
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by Aaron28 Quote
great set Des!
QuoteOriginally posted by K2 to K50 Quote
Great shots, Des! Love the first one with the berry in the mouth!
Thanks very much, Aaron and Peter. Enjoying your shots here Aaron.
QuoteOriginally posted by alfa75ts Quote
From my back door this morning.
Lovely portrait Craig. Galahs are underrated.

09-08-2021, 01:14 AM - 8 Likes   #36860
Veteran Member

Spent some more time with the DFA 150-450, K3III and my recently acquired HD 1.4TC.... anyway... probably old news... but auto focus sucks.

Anyway... I put it on my KP and F*300/4.5 and it was a match made in heaven... nice and light as well! Last light.... iso 2500.... f13

and iso 5,000 (Via DXO)

Last edited by noelpolar; 09-08-2021 at 01:27 AM.
09-08-2021, 01:29 AM - 2 Likes   #36861
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by Des Quote
Galahs are underrated.
Not by me I'm lucky that there's quite a few around at the moment both at Braeside and at home.

This is through my "office" window this morning, excuse the mess made by the Lorikeets.
Attached Images
View Picture EXIF
PENTAX K-3 Mark III  Photo 
09-08-2021, 03:20 AM - 7 Likes   #36862
Otis Memorial Pentaxian

Squawk!
by RobGeraghty, on Flickr

09-08-2021, 07:44 AM - 1 Like   #36863
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by Sagitta Quote
That'd be where you'd need to stack, and even then it'd be so tiny it may not be worth it.
I may have tried stacking some upscaled (nearest neighbor) shots of it with that old 300/4 setup but if I didn't it wasn't great. Even with the A* 400/2.8 plus SMC A 2X-L converter for 800mm upscaled 3x there isn't a lot to work with when stacking. I may give videoing it a try to see if stacking from that results in better results as one can really grab a lot of frames doing that. I may give it another try at some point but really one needs to be at a minimum of 2000mm for planetary imaging for some good results. Another option is to go and be dumb and get a Q plus a K to Q adapter and hang that off of the back of my 800mm setup. That should give some better results.

Of late I have been considering getting a Q exactly for stuff like this because I do have some very good glass for astrophotography so the small sensor on the Q becomes less of an issue and offers some added benefit. At about a 5x crop factor an 800mm setup becomes like a 4m setup which would give some very nice framing for planets and some closeups of the moon (ok now I really want a Q).
09-08-2021, 12:02 PM   #36864
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

I may have tried stacking some upscaled (nearest neighbor) shots of it with that old 300/4 setup but if I didn't it wasn't great. Even with the A* 400/2.8 plus SMC A 2X-L converter for 800mm upscaled 3x there isn't a lot to work with when stacking. I may give videoing it a try to see if stacking from that results in better results as one can really grab a lot of frames doing that. I may give it another try at some point but really one needs to be at a minimum of 2000mm for planetary imaging for some good results. Another option is to go and be dumb and get a Q plus a K to Q adapter and hang that off of the back of my 800mm setup. That should give some better results.

Of late I have been considering getting a Q exactly for stuff like this because I do have some very good glass for astrophotography so the small sensor on the Q becomes less of an issue and offers some added benefit. At about a 5x crop factor an 800mm setup becomes like a 4m setup which would give some very nice framing for planets and some closeups of the moon (ok now I really want a Q).
Good idea- just do it!

The Q to K adapter is the expensive piece- a Q body can be had for just about $100 on line if you look for a week or so.

I have the pieces, so I think I'll give it a try myself:
600mm 645* with 645 2x and 645 to K adapter, then the K to Q, then a Q ! What a rig!
09-08-2021, 12:59 PM   #36865
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by DonV Quote
I have the pieces, so I think I'll give it a try myself:
600mm 645* with 645 2x and 645 to K adapter, then the K to Q, then a Q ! What a rig!
I'm kind of iffy on using even the really good SMC A 2X-L converter so I'm not sure about the 645 2X how it stacks up but if I get a Q I will at least give it a try. I also have the SMC A 1.4X-L converter which is fantastic when paired with the A* 400/2.8 so even if I am only at about 2600-3000mm equivalent (400/2.8 +1.4x converter) with at Q it would still be fun especially being able to run wide open at f/4 or stopped down to like f/5.6. That is a lot of light for planetary imaging. At those equivalent focal lengths doing a stitched sacked moon shot should show some impressive detail.

The wife might not be happy about yet another camera appearing in the house but they are small and as you say inexpensive.
09-08-2021, 06:00 PM   #36866
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by termy Quote
'Katie' with DFA 150-450.

Hope you guys like it.
Very nice
09-08-2021, 07:13 PM   #36867
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by FreeSpirit9 Quote
Very nice
Thanks guys. Danke danke.

i have no idea what bird that is.
Just came across it and thought it looks cute and just snap away.

Luckily, this fella seemed quite happy to pose for a friend and me.

If it was skittish, will have had much difficulty as it is rather small sized and was among the branches and leaves, difficult to get a clear line of sight.

Will post a couple more later.
09-08-2021, 08:01 PM   #36868
Pentaxian

I had a Q7 and a genuine K to Q adapter. Unfortunately I found it was VERY hard to get good focus with long lenses and the results were actually not as good as cropped images taken with the same lens on a K3 (Mark1) I had then. The Q screen is low resolution and it's often hard to even see what you're taking a picture of at high magnifications - especially in low light.
09-08-2021, 09:02 PM - 9 Likes   #36869
Pentaxian

I'm sorry that initially thought doesn't have any keeper, as it dived too close to my side at the river bank.

09-08-2021, 11:43 PM   #36870
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by Pentaxians Quote
I'm sorry that initially thought doesn't have any keeper, as it dived too close to my side at the river bank.

What a superb capture!!!!