Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
10-16-2021, 02:55 AM   #37081
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery
Greetings fellow Pentaxians! I thought I'd use this thread to inspire some healthy debate.
I photograph birds quite often, not for framed wall mounts, but mostly so I can identify them more easily. I have a F*300mm which is light, has exceptional IQ, and is fast... light wise but not in the AF department! I also have a DFA 150-450mm which has better than average IQ and fairly speedy AF, but trying to hold it steady by hand or follow a moving target is challenging.
I've looked longingly at the DA*300mm, but some reviews say the AF isn't fast enough for birds. Is it worth getting one, or do I hold out for the promised upgraded DA*300mm?

10-16-2021, 05:18 AM - 3 Likes   #37082
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by Robin Quote
Greetings fellow Pentaxians! I thought I'd use this thread to inspire some healthy debate.
I photograph birds quite often, not for framed wall mounts, but mostly so I can identify them more easily. I have a F*300mm which is light, has exceptional IQ, and is fast... light wise but not in the AF department! I also have a DFA 150-450mm which has better than average IQ and fairly speedy AF, but trying to hold it steady by hand or follow a moving target is challenging.
I've looked longingly at the DA*300mm, but some reviews say the AF isn't fast enough for birds. Is it worth getting one, or do I hold out for the promised upgraded DA*300mm?
As the owner of both the 55-300mm PLM and the monster 150-450mm, my take would be - practice more on the 150-450mm, which, as you say, "has better than average IQ". Yes I have probs with the 150-450mm following a moving target. More practice, and maybe for BIFs, start trying to zoom back out to may 350mm to 400mm instead of the full 450mm????
10-16-2021, 07:20 AM - 1 Like   #37083
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by MossyRocks Quote
Long glass makes a great landscape lens. One of these evenings I want to do a shot of down town Minneapolis from a location I recently became aware of (not the 24th Street pedestrian bridge) for something different. However a long shot like that through an urban heat island I will need to have some cooperating weather to minimize the convection currents.
Aha neat - weather and heat distortion is a good point and seldom thought about... though I imagine you give that plenty of though with astro shooting - but that's really beyond my realm of knowledge.

QuoteOriginally posted by Des Quote
For anyone who doesn't know, there's a whole thread to prove you don't: Post your Telephoto Landscapes! - PentaxForums.com
Yeah! It's a real shame it's not more active over there...

QuoteOriginally posted by Des Quote
Fine shot Robert. Could be a poster. If I may say so, your photostream on Flickr is great viewing and seriously under-appreciated.
Thank you Des, you're much too kind!
10-16-2021, 07:29 AM - 1 Like   #37084
Veteran Member

Firstly, I've not heard of a promised upgraded DA*300... secondly, since you already have the 150-450 take the advice of @K2 to K50; above and practice!

As a new owner of a 150-450 myself, I do find myself a little challenged here and there with wee birds - it's a real beast to master. Unfortunately there's not much wildlife activity right now around me... If you're not using a tripod/monopod then make sure you practice good handholding technique - there's a lot in parallel to good marksmanship techniques, and keep your shutter speed high enough. Preferably 1/500s or faster would be ideal - but I shoot down to much lower than that depending on the light. The nice thing with the 150-450 is that it's sharp enough to leave wide open when you need the light! I notice you also have a K-1 in your signature, so shooting with that you really don't need to be too concerned about the ISO going up...

Anyways, I wish you the best of luck and hope to see you posting some shots here! It's also a great place to ask for advice, there's many knowledgeable users (much more so than me) hanging out in this thread here

10-16-2021, 08:42 AM - 6 Likes   #37085
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Grand Héron qui mange des vers sous la pluie / Great Blue Heron eating worms under the rain
[Ardea herodias]
Saint-Blaise-sur-Richelieu, QC, CANADA

Grand Héron qui mange des vers sous la pluie / Great Blue ? | Flickr
(Exif sur flickr)

Pentax K-3 III + SMC Pentax-DA* 300mm f4 ED [IF] SDM
1/500 sec at ƒ/4.5, ISO 1250

Grand Héron qui mange des vers sous la pluie / Great Blue Heron eating worms under the rain
10-17-2021, 01:15 AM - 4 Likes   #37086
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Canards branchus / Wood Ducks [Aix sponsa]
2021.09.30, Île Fryer, Carignan, QC

Combien de canards branchus voyez-vous ? / How many Wood Ducks can you count?

Canards branchus / Wood Ducks [Aix sponsa] | Combien de cana? | Flickr

Canards branchus / Wood Ducks [Aix sponsa]
(exif in flickr)
10-17-2021, 06:20 AM - 1 Like   #37087
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Even a skinny monopod is a significant aid to getting good results with a big, long, heavy tele such as the 150~450mm. However, monopods are a little awkward to carry and can be awkward to adjust quickly especially if a bird is high up. I have a traditional gunstock that is much quicker to use that a monopod and easier to transport. I installed a Manrotto shutter trigger designed for their pistol-grip tripod head so _ could hold the gunstock with both hands instead of having my right hand up on the camera to release the shutter. More recently I got a support that drapes over top the shoulder and also has a pad that rests against your chest. It is by far the best brace for a big tele if you are walking about rather that sitting in one place (in which case use a tripod). Here is one that is very similar and it only costs $60 from B&H

ikan Recoil Reloaded Camera Stabilizer

BTW: I modified mine in the following ways: 1) the several pieces fit together with 1/4 X 20 thumb tightened screws in the manner of old tripod heads holding a camera or lens. These joints tended to rotate so I drilled a hole in one side, threaded it, screwed in an old video pin with glue on it, then drilled an appropriate hole in the opposite piece so there is no chance of unwanted rotation but the pieces can still be disassembled. 2) the original had a simple padded grip which I replaced with a trigger grip to which any kind of electronic shutter cable may be attached Vello CB-800 Universal Pistol Grip with Shutter Release

I also modified the point where this grip attaches so it would not rotate. So now I can hold the rig out under the lens with my right hand rather than back at the camera which is much more stable.

BTW: Both of these are plastic except for the screws and the sockets into which they thread, so drilling holes to install anti-twist pins is very easy.

10-17-2021, 06:23 AM - 3 Likes   #37088
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by bertwert Quote
Firstly, I've not heard of a promised upgraded DA*300... secondly, since you already have the 150-450 take the advice of @K2 to K50; above and practice!

As a new owner of a 150-450 myself, I do find myself a little challenged here and there with wee birds - it's a real beast to master. Unfortunately there's not much wildlife activity right now around me... If you're not using a tripod/monopod then make sure you practice good handholding technique - there's a lot in parallel to good marksmanship techniques, and keep your shutter speed high enough. Preferably 1/500s or faster would be ideal - but I shoot down to much lower than that depending on the light. The nice thing with the 150-450 is that it's sharp enough to leave wide open when you need the light! I notice you also have a K-1 in your signature, so shooting with that you really don't need to be too concerned about the ISO going up...

Anyways, I wish you the best of luck and hope to see you posting some shots here! It's also a great place to ask for advice, there's many knowledgeable users (much more so than me) hanging out in this thread here
Thank you Robert. Yes, now that I have looked for it again I think the post about an upgraded DA*300mm might have been an optimistic misread or daydream .
I wanted to add that I wasn't maligning the F*300... When it has time to focus it is phenomenal! So seeing that you asked, here are some shots from the 300 on the K-1 and the 150-450 on the K-3. Not really a comparison as they both have their strong points.

African Stone Chat - K-1 + F*300mm

Southern Banded Snake Eagle - K-3 + DFA150-450mm

---------- Post added 10-17-21 at 06:37 AM ----------

QuoteOriginally posted by WPRESTO Quote
Even a skinny monopod is a significant aid to getting good results with a big, long, heavy tele such as the 150~450mm. However, monopods are a little awkward to carry and can be awkward to adjust quickly especially if a bird is high up. I have a traditional gunstock that is much quicker to use that a monopod and easier to transport. I installed a Manrotto shutter trigger designed for their pistol-grip tripod head so _ could hold the gunstock with both hands instead of having my right hand up on the camera to release the shutter. More recently I got a support that drapes over top the shoulder and also has a pad that rests against your chest. It is by far the best brace for a big tele if you are walking about rather that sitting in one place (in which case use a tripod). Here is one that is very similar and it only costs $60 from B&H

ikan Recoil Reloaded Camera Stabilizer

BTW: I modified mine in the following ways: 1) the several pieces fit together with 1/4 X 20 thumb tightened screws in the manner of old tripod heads holding a camera or lens. These joints tended to rotate so I drilled a hole in one side, threaded it, screwed in an old video pin with glue on it, then drilled an appropriate hole in the opposite piece so there is no chance of unwanted rotation but the pieces can still be disassembled. 2) the original had a simple padded grip which I replaced with a trigger grip to which any kind of electronic shutter cable may be attached Vello CB-800 Universal Pistol Grip with Shutter Release

I also modified the point where this grip attaches so it would not rotate. So now I can hold the rig out under the lens with my right hand rather than back at the camera which is much more stable.

BTW: Both of these are plastic except for the screws and the sockets into which they thread, so drilling holes to install anti-twist pins is very easy.
Wow, that's a serious setup! Fortunately most of the time I'm out looking for birds is in game reserves, so you have to be inside the car anyway and can use a beanbag on the window ledge. The other idea which I haven't tried yet is resting the lens on my wife's shoulder! But I think that might end badly.
10-17-2021, 07:14 AM - 4 Likes   #37089
Veteran Member

Southern Banded Snake Eagle - K-3 + DFA150-450mm
That 150-450 shot looks fine - though maybe a tad dark!
If you shot in RAW it'd be trivial to put the exposure up a stop, but also don't be afraid to let your ISO go a bit higher when shooting, even just up 800 here would help - you could also reduce your SS a bit (down to 1/1000s should still be plenty fast enough for a static subject handheld). With those two changes I think you'd expose much better gaining 1 stop overall. Just to give you an idea, I hope you don't mind that I took your JPEG and put it up a stop (though this will lose a bit more detail than if it was done to the RAW file) to see how much more recognizable the subject is:

There's also currently a discussion in the 150-450 thread about shooting birds, and some advice given - may be worth checking out: https://www.pentaxforums.com/forums/122-lens-clubs/294721-post-your-hd-penta...tures-186.html
10-17-2021, 07:20 AM - 4 Likes   #37090
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

K33 with 150-450.
Attached Images
View Picture EXIF
PENTAX K-3 Mark III  Photo 
10-17-2021, 07:33 AM - 1 Like   #37091
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by bertwert Quote
That 150-450 shot looks fine - though maybe a tad dark!
If you shot in RAW it'd be trivial to put the exposure up a stop, but also don't be afraid to let your ISO go a bit higher when shooting, even just up 800 here would help - you could also reduce your SS a bit (down to 1/1000s should still be plenty fast enough for a static subject handheld). With those two changes I think you'd expose much better gaining 1 stop overall. Just to give you an idea, I hope you don't mind that I took your JPEG and put it up a stop (though this will lose a bit more detail than if it was done to the RAW file) to see how much more recognizable the subject is:

There's also currently a discussion in the 150-450 thread about shooting birds, and some advice given - may be worth checking out: Post your HD PENTAX-D FA 150-450mm F4.5-5.6 ED DC AW pictures! - Page 186 - PentaxForums.com
Dudes, when back lit over-expose 2 stops. 1 minimum.
Always correct exposure for your subject in post processing.

Just a couple of basic photographic suggestions....
10-17-2021, 07:56 AM - 1 Like   #37092
Pentaxian

I've looked longingly at the DA*300mm, but some reviews say the AF isn't fast enough for birds. Is it worth getting one, or do I hold out for the promised upgraded DA*300mm
I think your question has been answered. The DA*300 F4 is a lovely lens, but in my hands sucks at birds in flight. Just focuses too slow on the KP. For static subjects it is fantastic. I am drooling over the 150-450 and is hoping that it might solve all my problems, once I get one. Looking at the results from other photographers, I cannot see the DA*300 will be better than what you have
10-17-2021, 01:28 PM - 13 Likes   #37093
Pentaxian

K3iii/Sigma 800mm F5.6 APO EX/RRS BH-55/Eckla window mount.

10-17-2021, 01:46 PM - 1 Like   #37094
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by Ducatigaz Quote
K3iii/Sigma 800mm F5.6 APO EX/RRS BH-55/Eckla window mount.

Looking at the second one I start to feel like prey!
10-17-2021, 02:22 PM   #37095
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by Canada_Rockies Quote
Looking at the second one I start to feel like prey!
Yes, it does feel like that, but it's actually stretching.