Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
10-17-2021, 05:27 PM   #37096
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by tduell Quote
Sulphur-crested Cockatoos.
K-3 Mark III, DFA 150-450 handheld. See exif for shot details.

Cheers,
Terry
Love this shot!

10-18-2021, 08:58 AM - 2 Likes   #37097
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by bertwert Quote
Aha neat - weather and heat distortion is a good point and seldom thought about... though I imagine you give that plenty of though with astro shooting - but that's really beyond my realm of knowledge.
With astro it does manifest itself must mostly as softness since you are using long exposures so instead of waviness in daytime shots you get some general softness. Also with astro shooting one will take lots of shots and by lots I will use literally thousands of individual shots for some images and there you give preference to the better parts of each image when stacking so it doesn't become too big of an issue. However with moon shots it is an issue since you use high shutter speeds there and again there the best solution is to take a lot of shots and then combine the best parts of each shot into a final image. Another benefit of astro shooting is that one tends to do it at night and out in the middle of no where so that helps a lot with reducing that type of distortion.
10-18-2021, 09:05 AM   #37098
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery
That 150-450 shot looks fine - though maybe a tad dark!
If you shot in RAW it'd be trivial to put the exposure up a stop, but also don't be afraid to let your ISO go a bit higher when shooting, even just up 800 here would help - you could also reduce your SS a bit (down to 1/1000s should still be plenty fast enough for a static subject handheld). With those two changes I think you'd expose much better gaining 1 stop overall. Just to give you an idea, I hope you don't mind that I took your JPEG and put it up a stop (though this will lose a bit more detail than if it was done to the RAW file) to see how much more recognizable the subject is:

There's also currently a discussion in the 150-450 thread about shooting birds, and some advice given - may be worth checking out: Post your HD PENTAX-D FA 150-450mm F4.5-5.6 ED DC AW pictures! - Page 186 - PentaxForums.com
Thank you again Robert. As you can see from his feathers this was one of those miserable, wet, overcast days that mess up the light, but it is a DNG, and I will do some more processing on it. I also tend to find that what looks light enough in Darktable, comes out darker as an exported jpg? I'm still getting used to the software after giving Lightroom the boot.
10-18-2021, 02:52 PM   #37099
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by K2 to K50 Quote
Love this shot!
Thanks.

Cheers,
Terry

10-18-2021, 02:57 PM - 14 Likes   #37100
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Tawny Frogmouth and chic.

K-3 Mark III, DA* 300, handheld. See exif for shot details.

Cheers,
Terry
Attached Images
View Picture EXIF
PENTAX K-3 Mark III  Photo 
10-18-2021, 04:12 PM   #37101
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Cheers,
Terry
I had to look twice to see the chick! Neat shot.
10-18-2021, 04:18 PM - 4 Likes   #37102
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

K1 II with DA * 300

A little songbird. I think it's a ruby crowned kinglet.

Attached Images
View Picture EXIF
PENTAX K-1 Mark II  Photo 
10-18-2021, 05:09 PM   #37103
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by Canada_Rockies Quote
I had to look twice to see the chick! Neat shot.
Thanks.

Cheers,
Terry
10-18-2021, 07:44 PM - 13 Likes   #37104
Pentaxian

Came across this momma grizzly on Highway 40 through Kananaskis. We stayed in the car but thankfully I had the DA*300+TC on the K3 so I got some decent shots out the window from a good safe distance.

At one point she walked right around the car as we sat there with the windows rolled up. Then she headed up the hiking trail where there were hikers coming down. Thankfully no incidents and she moved on.
10-18-2021, 09:06 PM   #37105
Otis Memorial Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by vector Quote
Came across this momma grizzly on Highway 40 through Kananaskis. We stayed in the car but thankfully I had the DA*300+TC on the K3 so I got some decent shots out the window from a good safe distance. At one point she walked right around the car as we sat there with the windows rolled up. Then she headed up the hiking trail where there were hikers coming down. Thankfully no incidents and she moved on.
Great shots! I never saw a wild bear in the USA - too late in the season perhaps, but I did see a car door ripped open at Yosemite. I'm glad I never had to deal with actually seeing a bear close up on a hike.
10-19-2021, 05:02 AM - 2 Likes   #37106
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by vector Quote
Came across this momma grizzly on Highway 40 through Kananaskis. We stayed in the car but thankfully I had the DA*300+TC on the K3 so I got some decent shots out the window from a good safe distance.

At one point she walked right around the car as we sat there with the windows rolled up. Then she headed up the hiking trail where there were hikers coming down. Thankfully no incidents and she moved on.
Awesome shots! Whenever I see grizzlies from the car I never seem to have my camera with me - and inevitably, when I specifically go looking for bears on a drive by bringing my camera I never see any

QuoteOriginally posted by RobG Quote
Great shots! I never saw a wild bear in the USA - too late in the season perhaps, but I did see a car door ripped open at Yosemite. I'm glad I never had to deal with actually seeing a bear close up on a hike.
It's really not a big deal meeting a bear if you act sensibly... I'd much rather deal with one than a lot of the dangerous buggers you got down there
10-19-2021, 06:23 AM - 1 Like   #37107
Otis Memorial Pentaxian

It's really not a big deal meeting a bear if you act sensibly... I'd much rather deal with one than a lot of the dangerous buggers you got down there
Oh come on, just because we have the most venomous snakes, spiders, fish, shells, octopi, and trees in the world (and poisonous mushrooms)... even the Platypus is venomous.
But a bear can do you serious damage just on a whim. Besides, Australia has the best antivenine too. Guess why?
10-19-2021, 11:12 AM - 10 Likes   #37108
Pentaxian

I have found a spot where this female Kestrel likes to perch and it's on a route that I drive daily.

K3iii/Sigma 800mm F5.6 APO EX/RRS BH-55/Eckla window mount.

10-19-2021, 03:39 PM - 9 Likes   #37109
Veteran Member

Caught this guy hopping about upside down and right way up, feeding away. The shots kept getting cut off at the edges, if only there was a way to make the field of view bigger, to zoom out so to speak from 450mm when using my fancy 150-450mm

10-20-2021, 07:28 PM   #37110
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Caught this guy hopping about upside down and right way up, feeding away. The shots kept getting cut off at the edges, if only there was a way to make the field of view bigger, to zoom out so to speak from 450mm when using my fancy 150-450mm
A wonderful shot. I have only seen them once when I visited Vancouver Island 3-4 years back. Hope to see them again on my next visit.

---------- Post added 10-20-21 at 10:30 PM ----------

Cheers,
Terry
Almost missed the chick when I looked at the picture. Nice shot.

---------- Post added 10-20-21 at 10:34 PM ----------

QuoteOriginally posted by skolkmeier Quote
A little songbird. I think it's a ruby crowned kinglet.
I believe you are correct.