Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version 91898 Likes Search this Thread
11-18-2021, 09:27 PM   #37246
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by normhead Quote
K-1 and Tamron 300 2.8 AF with HD DA 1.4 TC

I got the blind repaired yesterday... finally. We spotted a lifer for up here , at least for us. A Rock Pidgeon.

Not the best image but good for ID.

And not our first but another surprise, a grackle, the flocks have left , I have no idea why this guy is still here.

The regular squirrels and Jays,

And real surprise, again, a first for our yard....an Ermine

He's very sneaky and hard to track. Hopefully I get a better image later.

I wondered where all the chipmunks went. It looks like most of them became this guy's dinners.
Norm - I loved all these pics, but really loved your capture of the ermine! What an exotic beautiful little critter to see out in the wild!

Re your comments re the 55-300mm PLM - I agree with all of them. When I first got mine, with my (then) new KP I was really impressed. And as you say, it is SO light. But since acquiring the 150-450kmm, I seem to have abandoned my 55-300mm PLM. But NOT forgotten it - every time I find myself labouring with lugging around the monster 150-450mm, I think of the PLM. But the extra reach is so good. And I have to justify the cost of it by favouring it!!!!!

Last edited by K2 to K50; 11-18-2021 at 09:34 PM.
11-19-2021, 05:51 AM - 10 Likes   #37247
Pentaxian

A few recent shots with my K3iii/FA*600mm F4 ED[IF] resting on the door mirror of my car.

I think I've been spotted. Female Kestrel in the hover.

K3iii/FA*600mm F4 ED[IF]/RRS BH-55/Eckla window mount.

K3ii/Sigma 300mm F2.8 EX DG/Gitzo 5532LS through double glazed window.

11-19-2021, 08:35 AM   #37248
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by K2 to K50 Quote
Norm - I loved all these pics, but really loved your capture of the ermine! What an exotic beautiful little critter to see out in the wild!

Re your comments re the 55-300mm PLM - I agree with all of them. When I first got mine, with my (then) new KP I was really impressed. And as you say, it is SO light. But since acquiring the 150-450kmm, I seem to have abandoned my 55-300mm PLM. But NOT forgotten it - every time I find myself labouring with lugging around the monster 150-450mm, I think of the PLM. But the extra reach is so good. And I have to justify the cost of it by favouring it!!!!!
I stlll use my DA*60-250 with the 1.4 TC when Tess has it, but it's so much easier to carry and stabilize. The ermine of course was a total surprise. The 150-450 is a lens I would love to use, but it's one of about 5 expensive items I don't own, that I'd use on a regular basis. Thee days, using a lens like the 150-450 would mean other great lenses would be sitting home more often.
11-19-2021, 09:22 AM - 6 Likes   #37249
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery
I've got my 150-450 back up and running after I broke it almost immediately after getting it. The break was the foot and the plate the foot mounts to that is on the lens and that little plate took a while to get (from Pentax via KEH). I'm happy to be able to use it again!

So I drove (pretty rough 4x4) up to this spot with my brother last night which was fun in itself. I was shooting the moon coming up using my fairly typical settings I use with a A* 300/4 or 70-200 for moon shots, bracketing and with an IR remote and noticed something. When I was looking through the viewfinder I could see visible vibrations after the mirror would go up and down. So I switched to mirror lockup mode and looking at the photos it seems to make a pretty big difference so I'll need to remember that in the future. Maybe I could also use some weight hanging from the tripod (which I don't usually bother with) or a beanbag too if I need to bracket like that in the future. I need to do some tests to see what my best solution would be.
So this shot is using the lockup function and it came out nice and sharp.

K-1ii & 150-450

11-19-2021, 09:27 AM   #37250
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by mattb123 Quote
I've got my 150-450 back up and running after I broke it almost immediately after getting it. The break was the foot and the plate the foot mounts to that is on the lens and that little plate took a while to get (from Pentax via KEH). I'm happy to be able to use it again!

So I drove (pretty rough 4x4) up to this spot with my brother last night which was fun in itself. I was shooting the moon coming up using my fairly typical settings I use with a A* 300/4 or 70-200 for moon shots, bracketing and with an IR remote and noticed something. When I was looking through the viewfinder I could see visible vibrations after the mirror would go up and down. So I switched to mirror lockup mode and looking at the photos it seems to make a pretty big difference so I'll need to remember that in the future. Maybe I could also use some weight hanging from the tripod (which I don't usually bother with) or a beanbag too if I need to bracket like that in the future. I need to do some tests to see what my best solution would be.
So this shot is using the lockup function and it came out nice and sharp.

K-1ii & 150-450
Excellent, the 150-450 is an awesome multipurpose lens for wildlife and landscapes! Do you use the electronic shutter as well mirror lock up? I'm trying to work on my long-lens landscape technique and work out a good system for myself when I have time to set up the tripod and all.
11-19-2021, 09:52 AM   #37251
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by bertwert Quote
Excellent, the 150-450 is an awesome multipurpose lens for wildlife and landscapes! Do you use the electronic shutter as well mirror lock up? I'm trying to work on my long-lens landscape technique and work out a good system for myself when I have time to set up the tripod and all.
I haven't yet but I need to find my best technique for this beast and it might be another tool to help get maximum sharpness.
I'm also considering buying something like a Wimberley Arca Sidekick Ball to Gimbal Head Adapter or even just a traditional Gimbal head for increased stability over my Benro G3 ballhead (which is pretty nice but maybe not the right tool here).
11-19-2021, 02:50 PM - 2 Likes   #37252
Veteran Member

I haven't yet but I need to find my best technique for this beast and it might be another tool to help get maximum sharpness.
I'm also considering buying something like a Wimberley Arca Sidekick Ball to Gimbal Head Adapter or even just a traditional Gimbal head for increased stability over my Benro G3 ballhead (which is pretty nice but maybe not the right tool here).
The Jobu Jr is a really nice fit for the 150-450, but I can't say I'm experienced enough to offer insight into stability of that vs large ball head such as you're using now. However, I don't see the side-kick improving stability at all, because all you're doing is introducing another element into the system, still relying on the ball head for the stability and locking. That being said, fine composition may be much easier with that - I find it's much easier with a gimbal. For max stability, maybe look into a side-mount (but not ball head adapter one) gimbal?

Speaking of gimbals and such, it certainly isn't necessary for most 150-450 shots, I'm quite happy handheld. But it's nice to have to remain pointed at a certain spot without your arms dying:

11-19-2021, 03:21 PM   #37253
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by bertwert Quote
The Jobu Jr is a really nice fit for the 150-450, but I can't say I'm experienced enough to offer insight into stability of that vs large ball head such as you're using now. However, I don't see the side-kick improving stability at all, because all you're doing is introducing another element into the system, still relying on the ball head for the stability and locking. That being said, fine composition may be much easier with that - I find it's much easier with a gimbal. For max stability, maybe look into a side-mount (but not ball head adapter one) gimbal?

Speaking of gimbals and such, it certainly isn't necessary for most 150-450 shots, I'm quite happy handheld. But it's nice to have to remain pointed at a certain spot without your arms dying:
I like the look of the Side Kick because it looks like it would be a lot easier to carry and to put on or take off than a whole gimbal would be. And reviews are pretty positive. And the price looks pretty nice too. If I can avoid swapping tripod heads in the field I'd like to. But I need to research a little more and maybe find a video or two to demonstrate it in action. It looks like it would shift the center of gravity in a favorable way and that seems to be the main point of a gimbal.
11-19-2021, 04:16 PM   #37254
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Does anyone know of a Arca Swiss tripod plate that is just right for the foot of the 150-450 (or 70-200 - same foot)?

I have one that is the same length as the base of the foot which is good but it only has one screw and does not have a matching hole for the second hole in the tripod foot. I'd like one that can either accommodate two screws into the foot or maybe one screw and a peg for the second hole to stop it from rotating.

Seems like this is a thing that is likely to exist. Hopefully it is!
11-19-2021, 06:27 PM - 1 Like   #37255
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Does anyone know of a Arca Swiss tripod plate that is just right for the foot of the 150-450 (or 70-200 - same foot)?

I have one that is the same length as the base of the foot which is good but it only has one screw and does not have a matching hole for the second hole in the tripod foot. I'd like one that can either accommodate two screws into the foot or maybe one screw and a peg for the second hole to stop it from rotating.

Seems like this is a thing that is likely to exist. Hopefully it is!
Since acquiring my 150-450mm, I have often wondered why they didn't opt to shape the lens foot itself to fit an arca swiss plate. And it is too narrow, I think, to re-engineer post-purchase. I wonder what a machine shop would charge to manufacture such a foot. I have read of people being able to buy a third party complete foot assembly with an arca swiss shape for one of the other brands of big lens (Nikon or Canon, I think).

Re side-mounts, because of stories about the 150-450 foot separating into its two parts I would be very wary of looking at side-mounting. I had been thinking of the Wimberley monogimbal head until I read those stories.
11-19-2021, 06:58 PM - 1 Like   #37256
Veteran Member

I have a Wimberley plate on there (came with the gimbal I bought used) that's a P40 I think (almost 6 inches long), so a tad oversized. Anything with a slot would work as you can just add a second screw, the P20 or P30 are probably a better size. And they also have a group of holes at the end you can attach a strap to.

I also have an older RRS lens plate I bought from a forum member that is a better size, which just happens to have two screw holes at the exact right distance apart (the member I bought it from originally used it on a 67 400/4). But it does not have a hole for a strap or safety stops. I may modify it and add those as the the other plate I have is a bit long for my liking and can prevent acute downwards forward shooting by hitting the bottom of the gimbal.

Since acquiring my 150-450mm, I have often wondered why they didn't opt to shape the lens foot itself to fit an arca swiss plate. And it is too narrow, I think, to re-engineer post-purchase. I wonder what a machine shop would charge to manufacture such a foot.
The foot on my 150-450 is ever so marginally wider than the lens plate screwed to it... now that you mention this, I wonder how hard that would be to do. Could be pretty cheap as well. (And by removing the lens plate, the lens would balance 100% perfectly on the gimbal, it's about that far off...)

Matt, if you still have your old broken foot, I'd be really tempted to try machining arca swiss slots into it if I were you... and if it works do it on your good foot... or maybe switch the block bit (that's broken) to it if possible...

Re side-mounts, because of stories about the 150-450 foot separating into its two parts I would be very wary of looking at side-mounting. I had been thinking of the Wimberley monogimbal head until I read those stories.
That's the biggest reason I disregarded side gimbals for the 150-450...
11-19-2021, 10:10 PM   #37257
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Interesting idea about machining the old foot. I'll give it some thought.

Are there stories of foot or mount failure that didn't have a mishap like mine? Even though mine broke it was from a fall. I would expect to hold up to a side mount unless there is a trend of these just coming apart.
11-19-2021, 10:36 PM - 14 Likes   #37258
Des
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Albums
A lifer for me. Lewin's Rail (Lewinia pectoralis) KP + FA*300mm f4.5

Pretty special too. This is what the books say:
... "This secretive rail can be extremely difficult to see .... Uncommon, secretive and nomadic, this is a difficult species to locate" - Birds of Australia: a photographic guide
... "Secretive and difficult to sight even momentarily in the swamps where it forages; tends to come into the open less than other rails ... uncommon; patchy; nomadic" - Morcombe, Field guide to Australian birds
... "Generally secretive with typical sighting a fleeting view at edge of dense vegetation ... Movements poorly understood. Generally uncommon" - The Australian Bird Guide

The more remarkable because it wasn't in a marsh or swamp, but just in a wet area of our property.
11-20-2021, 12:13 AM   #37259
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Interesting idea about machining the old foot. I'll give it some thought.

Are there stories of foot or mount failure that didn't have a mishap like mine? Even though mine broke it was from a fall. I would expect to hold up to a side mount unless there is a trend of these just coming apart.
See this thread: posts 1, 4, and 10 all seem to be different owners who have suffered the same problem. I did not read further into the thread to see if more piped in.

Tripod mount replacement - PentaxForums.com

See also:
https://www.pentaxforums.com/forums/189-repairs-warranty-service/411247-d-fa...-solution.html

Last edited by K2 to K50; 11-20-2021 at 12:20 AM.
11-20-2021, 12:16 AM - 1 Like   #37260
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by Des Quote
A lifer for me. Lewin's Rail (Lewinia pectoralis) KP + FA*300mm f4.5

Pretty special too. This is what the books say:
... "This secretive rail can be extremely difficult to see .... Uncommon, secretive and nomadic, this is a difficult species to locate" - Birds of Australia: a photographic guide
... "Secretive and difficult to sight even momentarily in the swamps where it forages; tends to come into the open less than other rails ... uncommon; patchy; nomadic" - Morcombe, Field guide to Australian birds
... "Generally secretive with typical sighting a fleeting view at edge of dense vegetation ... Movements poorly understood. Generally uncommon" - The Australian Bird Guide

The more remarkable because it wasn't in a marsh or swamp, but just in a wet area of our property.
Congratulations, Des, on your lucky sighting. And even more for having your camera with you at the time, and making very successful use of it. Definitely a story of the one that didn't get away!!!!