Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
01-10-2022, 05:37 PM - 10 Likes   #37651
Pentaxian

*TONITE* on Kung~Fu Theater! whooping ass in the field......K-3ii...sigma 150-500os......

01-10-2022, 10:39 PM   #37652
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery
Sandhill cranes, and what is the white bird? Great shot!

---------- Post added 01-10-22 at 11:42 PM ----------

QuoteOriginally posted by Basie Quote

The carmine bee-eater is a intra African migrant that nests on the ground or in river banks from end of Auguts in our Zambezi region. At that stage they are very colourful, but becomes quite drab when breeding stops. It seems that they are never still and in flight shots just luck, but late afternoon can find them posing for a shot or two
Your photos are great! Helps to have great subject matter.
01-11-2022, 02:46 AM - 12 Likes   #37653
Des
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by Tsutomu Quote
These are my recent birds pictures taken with my K1mk2/DA 560mm at Tokyo machida.
QuoteOriginally posted by Basie Quote
The carmine bee-eater is a intra African migrant that nests on the ground or in river banks from end of Auguts in our Zambezi region.
QuoteOriginally posted by Aaron28 Quote
pretty damn cool to catch whooping cranes in flight with snow geese!!
QuoteOriginally posted by Ducatigaz Quote
This Common Buzzard landed in a bush that I was parked next to watching a couple of Brambling.
Gotta love this thread. Wonderful bird shots from Asia, Africa, North America and Europe in succession.

Adding another continent. Rainbow Lorikeet on a bottlebrush (callistemon). KP + DA 55-300 PLM at 300mm. Processed in DxO PL5 and finished with Nik Color Efex Pro.

01-11-2022, 02:49 AM   #37654
Des
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

This is another Japanese serow's picture from past shot.
QuoteOriginally posted by WPRESTO Quote
you've set a high mark for yourself with the excellence of the first images you've posted. Looking forward to seeing many more
My thoughts exactly.
QuoteOriginally posted by swip Quote
A pretty lousy day with overcast sky and occasional snow. So I ended up staying home but a red-tailed hawk and a few feeder birds visited the backyard.Nothing close to what Gary had but I am pretty happy with the shots.
So you should be!

Last edited by Des; 01-11-2022 at 02:43 PM.
01-11-2022, 05:05 AM - 1 Like   #37655
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by Des Quote
Gotta love this thread. Wonderful bird shots from Asia, Africa, North America and Europe in succession.

Adding another continent. Rainbow Lorikeet on a bottlebrush (callistemon). KP + DA 55-300 PLM at 300mm. Processed in DxO PL5 and finished with Nik Color Efex Pro.
Another bird created by a kid with a new box of 64 Crayolas.

And that is a beautiful image.
01-11-2022, 05:47 AM - 7 Likes   #37656

Thnak you WPRESTO, Des!

>Gotta love this thread. Wonderful bird shots from Asia, Africa, North America and Europe in succession.
I have exactly the same feeling.

These are pictures of sparrows. They are common species in Japan.

From yesterday's shot.
K-1ii&DA560 at zama kanagawa.

From past shot.
K-5iis&DA300 at Hiratsuka Kanagawa.
01-11-2022, 08:40 AM   #37657
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

These are pictures of sparrows. They are common species in Japan.
I think they are dirt common anywhere they find themselves to. I never seem to find piles of them in a single tree like that it is usually just a handful.

01-11-2022, 08:53 AM - 1 Like   #37658
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Pentax really needs to make you the official DA 55-300 PLM ambassador. Your photos are the best argument in favor of that lens.
01-11-2022, 09:03 AM - 5 Likes   #37659
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

KP | DA55-300PLM | 300mm | additionally cropped
01-11-2022, 12:20 PM - 13 Likes   #37660
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Thnak you WPRESTO, Des!

>Gotta love this thread. Wonderful bird shots from Asia, Africa, North America and Europe in succession.
I have exactly the same feeling..
Those sparrows, here called either House Sparrows or English Sparrows, are prolific breeders (multiple clutches from one female each year), are aggressive (they will displace other birds from nesting sites), and are fully adapted to living with humans even in dense urban settings.

And for African birds

A male crowned crane showing off for any girls close enough to watch (there were several)

BTW: Sigma 50~500mm, original version

A gray-headed kingfisher
and a white-browed coucal.
Attached Images
View Picture EXIF
PENTAX K-3  Photo 
View Picture EXIF
PENTAX K-3  Photo 
View Picture EXIF
PENTAX K-3  Photo 
View Picture EXIF
PENTAX K-3  Photo 
01-11-2022, 02:09 PM - 7 Likes   #37661
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

KP with DA*300 Plus 1.4 tc

I'm not even close to the kind of great pictures in this thread, but I'm still going to post what I have, because it's what I like to do.

American Kestrel.
Attached Images
View Picture EXIF
PENTAX KP  Photo 
01-11-2022, 02:10 PM - 6 Likes   #37662
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by Aaron28 Quote
*TONITE* on Kung~Fu Theater! whooping ass in the field......K-3ii...sigma 150-500os......
Whooping Crane is probably the rarest bird I will ever see - in terms of numbers that is. Even those you do see have probably been reared by hand. We saw them in Saskatchewan a while back (again, mixed with Sandhill Cranes), but you got a lot closer than we did.

01-11-2022, 03:49 PM   #37663
Des
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Another bird created by a kid with a new box of 64 Crayolas.And that is a beautiful image.
QuoteOriginally posted by luftfluss Quote
Pentax really needs to make you the official DA 55-300 PLM ambassador. Your photos are the best argument in favor of that lens.
Thanks to each of you. The PLM is just a great lens for yard birds (ie not too far away) and good light, where 300mm f6.3 is adequate. And with recent APS-C sensors (like the KP), there is minimal disadvantage in going to 800 ISO (as here), or even a stop or two higher where the accelerator kicks in.
A male crowned crane showing off for any girls close enough to watch (there were several)
You'd think the plumage would be enough, but he has to dance too! Very nice shots Walt.
QuoteOriginally posted by skolkmeier Quote
I'm not even close to the kind of great pictures in this thread, but I'm still going to post what I have, because it's what I like to do.
That's the spirit Stan. It's not a competition. Very nice Kestrel.
01-11-2022, 04:13 PM - 2 Likes   #37664
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

You'd think the plumage would be enough, but he has to dance too! Very nice shots Walt..
He put on a long show. I must have 30 images. He wasn't just dancing around in a silly way, he was also kicking about a small round elephant turd, When I was an adolescent male full of hormones, I never met a female who would be impressed by my kicking dog pooh around the schoolyard.
01-11-2022, 06:28 PM   #37665
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by jacamar Quote
Whooping Crane is probably the rarest bird I will ever see - in terms of numbers that is. Even those you do see have probably been reared by hand. We saw them in Saskatchewan a while back (again, mixed with Sandhill Cranes), but you got a lot closer than we did.
think there are 6-8 currently at the refuge in decatur....quite fortunate that it is "nearby" and they come here......also lucky to get so close from an observation house on the refuge and it was close to it....most times they are far out in the field much like you have pictured