Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version 11966 Likes Search this Thread
10-11-2011, 10:27 PM   #3016
Veteran Member

All very nice. I like the colour (color) too... I just can't seem to get the hang of these 'almost' monochromatic techniques.

10-12-2011, 09:29 AM   #3017
Forum Member

FA77 on film

10-12-2011, 02:11 PM   #3018
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery
QuoteOriginally posted by v5planet Quote
Here are a few more and I think I'm done for the evening. Phew.
You appear to definitely be enjoying Seattle. Was this a permanent (if anything is ever permanent) move for you?
10-12-2011, 07:24 PM   #3019
Veteran Member

FA 43:

10-12-2011, 08:07 PM   #3020
Veteran Member

Photos: Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by bossa:
All very nice. I like the colour (color) too... I just can't seem to get the hang of these 'almost' monochromatic techniques.
Thanks! It's been tough learning it for me as well. I hit it sometimes; other times not. Simon was kind enough to share his general technique in here or elsewhere once, and I often like to use it as a starting point. He bumps up the temperature of the photo substantially, reduces the saturation, and increases the contrast. I usually take it into Nik Color Efex after that, playing with Color Contrast and then some levels adjustments, or additional partial desaturation with layer masks. For my duotoned images, I usually make very few adjustments to the raw aside from tweaking the exposure and fill before converting in Silver Efex Pro (I rarely pump out pure B&Ws, I prefer to tone them, as with the fern above). Other people do different things, and I'd love to learn more approaches, because I'm never really happy with color images unless they're stylized in one fashion or another.

QuoteOriginally posted by cardinal43:
Was this a permanent (if anything is ever permanent) move for you?
Well, that depends on whether I find gainful employment before I completely burn through all my savings. Otherwise, it's back to the high desert of northern New Mexico for me. =\

Speaking of which:

QuoteOriginally posted by deadwolfbones Quote
FA 43:
Nice photos! It really is a beautiful place, huh? Maybe going back wouldn't be so bad ;-)
10-12-2011, 09:12 PM   #3021
Veteran Member

Thanks, man. These were actually from Durango, Colorado, though.
10-12-2011, 11:16 PM   #3022
Veteran Member

Thanks! It's been tough learning it for me as well. I hit it sometimes; other times not. Simon was kind enough to share his general technique in here or elsewhere once, and I often like to use it as a starting point. He bumps up the temperature of the photo substantially, reduces the saturation, and increases the contrast. I usually take it into Nik Color Efex after that, playing with Color Contrast and then some levels adjustments, or additional partial desaturation with layer masks. For my duotoned images, I usually make very few adjustments to the raw aside from tweaking the exposure and fill before converting in Silver Efex Pro (I rarely pump out pure B&Ws, I prefer to tone them, as with the fern above). Other people do different things, and I'd love to learn more approaches, because I'm never really happy with color images unless they're stylized in one fashion or another.

Well, that depends on whether I find gainful employment before I completely burn through all my savings. Otherwise, it's back to the high desert of northern New Mexico for me. =\

Speaking of which:

Nice photos! It really is a beautiful place, huh? Maybe going back wouldn't be so bad ;-)
Thanks for the information... V5planet. I'll give it a try.

cheers

10-13-2011, 12:13 AM   #3023
Ash
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
A recent landscape pano courtesy of the FA 43:

Sydney city views by ash-s
10-13-2011, 08:11 AM   #3024
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by Ash Quote
A recent landscape pano courtesy of the FA 43:

Sydney city views by ash-s

Wow! Is that from the walking path between Sirius Cove & the Zoo?

I did the Manly to Spit bridge walk a few weeks ago, that was pretty hard going.
10-13-2011, 12:41 PM - 1 Like   #3025
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by deadwolfbones Quote
Thanks, man. These were actually from Durango, Colorado, though.
Oof, embarrassing! Some of the plants are the same though, you gotta give me that ;-)

Well, my 77 has been getting jealous of my 43 this week, so it decided to take me out for a predawn walk today to remind me that the 43 is simply not its equal.

Pretty similar to my other shots from Kerry Park, but I liked the sky much better in this one and I spent a lot more time editing it. The forecast for today actually called for heavy fog in places, and I was hoping to get a shot off of the skyline half buried in cloud, aglow in golden dawn light. No such luck -- the fog stayed off to the east -- but I'll take this instead for now. I'll probably keep going back until the weather gives me what I really want though; you'll all just have to bear with me in the meantime. :-)
10-13-2011, 01:42 PM   #3026
Veteran Member

Pretty similar to my other shots from Kerry Park, but I liked the sky much better in this one and I spent a lot more time editing it
Agree. Both 77Ltd and 31Ltd has fantastic sky rendition. Much better than one of 43 and even Distagon 21.
10-13-2011, 03:37 PM   #3027
Veteran Member

Alright, this was rather a lot of work to edit. Not my most seamless panorama, but it's what I've got. Be sure to click on it for the larger size!

Seattle Before Dawn (panorama)

[edit]

QuoteOriginally posted by Emacs Quote
Agree. Both 77Ltd and 31Ltd has fantastic sky rendition. Much better than one of 43 and even Distagon 21.
People say that the 77 is a "specialty lens", but I absolutely love it for land-/city-/cloud-scape.

Last edited by v5planet; 10-13-2011 at 03:56 PM.
10-13-2011, 03:45 PM   #3028
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Alright, this was rather a lot of work to edit. Not my most seamless panorama, but it's what I've got. Be sure to click on it for the larger size!

Seattle Before Dawn (panorama)
Seamless in Seattle?
10-13-2011, 04:12 PM   #3029
Veteran Member

My first FA 77 shots

Well, this thread has treated me much like the DA 15 mind control thread. I kept looking and looking and finally decided I MUST. HAVE. ONE! But which one? I simply don't have the money for all three, so I chose the FA 77. Found what I consider a really nice deal for a used "LN-" condition one at KEH.com. It looks brand new, seems to work perfectly. The only thing to distinguish it from new is there was no box or paperwork included. I'm so impressed with this lens, it's just beautiful to hold and feels like quality.

Simon, my apologies for attempting to emulate your style in some of my photos. It is quite popular for a reason. I hope you don't mind my sad attempts. Thanks to Jay for summarizing the technique. Though I know I'll never be able to take photos of Simon level quality or reproduce his style, it is one of the things that drew me to this lens.

I wanted to post a couple of my first shots that I'm pleased with. I hope one day I can do this lens proud and maybe sell a few of them through this thread myself. Thanks everyone for the inspiration!

10-13-2011, 04:48 PM   #3030
Veteran Member

Nice shots Lori! Really like the last one!

I dont think you have copied my style at all, I think those look truely unique and different than what some of my styles are

The style V5 was talking about I believe is one of my older technique's that I havent done in a long time. Ive come to a point were Im really happy my monochromes now (I spent a very long time refining the technique to get it to how I want), with the color shots Im not at that point yet, but its getting there.

And yes the 77 is a marvel of a lens, its my favorite.