Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
07-15-2013, 02:14 PM   #5311
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery | Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by tclausen Quote
Ohh, the atrocity ....what happened to the good old days, when a man in need of money would resort to more noble and civilized acts such as to just stage a hold-up at the local saloon, sell snake-oil to the gullible, or go west to dig for gold....
ROFLMAO!!! Seriously I've been working with the same pool of cash buying & selling my (well cared for gear) one or two lenses at a time - trying everything, but only able to have a couple at a time.

Holding up a saloon sounds pretty good to me

07-15-2013, 04:38 PM   #5312

QuoteOriginally posted by Urkeldaedalus Quote
First, I'm not sure if the only point of wide aperture prime is to shoot it wide open all the time. One of the nice things is how you can stop it down to say f/2.2 or f/2.8 and it's already getting closer and closer to its sweet spot. Can't say that about most f/2.8 lenses.

Second, I've usually found the FA31 to be pretty sharp wide-open. Maybe not as sharp as the sharpest lenses are wide open (I would not be surprised if the Sigma was sharper in the center at f/1.8 for example, as the Sigma is supposed to have excellent center performance). However, the FA31 is definitely sharp enough wide open for practical use at f/1.8, and as you can see has excellent transition in the OOF area, one of my favorite things about it.

Is the FA31 worth the money? That seems to be the eternal question. Above $1,000 I'm not sure. If Pentax releases a full frame (or you shoot film) and you like that focal length I would say definitely. I don't think you'd necessarily be going wrong with the Sigma if you could find one, though. BTW, Sigma was $300 back in the day when the FA31 was available for $700-800 new, so it might be hard to find either for cheap these days.

I caved and just pulled the trigger on a used Sigma 30mm. 1.4 and price was too much for me not to get it. Hopefully this lens does it for me.

QuoteQuote:
Thanks Urkeldaedalus for the heads up. It was already sold but I grabbed used one for a similar price today.

FA 77

07-15-2013, 05:13 PM   #5313
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery
QuoteOriginally posted by richmondthefish Quote
I caved and just pulled the trigger on a used Sigma 30mm. 1.4 and price was too much for me not to get it. Hopefully this lens does it for me.

Thanks Urkeldaedalus for the heads up. It was already sold but I grabbed used one for a similar price today.

FA 77
I'm sure you'll like the Sigma. I liked mine, but after a couple of years of shooting with it, I had to try the FA limited, as expensive as it was. The nice thing with used lenses is that if you decide you want to flip them down the road, you shouldn't have any trouble doing so.
07-16-2013, 07:42 AM   #5314
Pentaxian

I know this may sound like heresy (and I don't even use zooms), but the new Sigma 18-35 f/1.8 looks pretty interesting based on initial reports (e.g.,Review: Sigma 18-35mm f1.8 (Canon EF))

It sort of looks like the promised "limited zoom" in the roadmaps, except that it is big compared to limited lenses. On the other hand it is "only" $800.

07-16-2013, 02:08 PM   #5315
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by yorik Quote
I know this may sound like heresy (and I don't even use zooms), but the new Sigma 18-35 f/1.8 looks pretty interesting based on initial reports (e.g.,Review: Sigma 18-35mm f1.8 (Canon EF))

It sort of looks like the promised "limited zoom" in the roadmaps, except that it is big compared to limited lenses. On the other hand it is "only" $800.
Looks long and heavy, like a telephoto lens. Also is DX only. Still, it does look interesting as you say, especially by filing a hole in the APS-C system. I might pick one up along with a Sigma telephoto depending on what Pentax decides to do with its flagship and the full frame question. That will be more clear later this year and into the next I imagine.
07-16-2013, 02:14 PM   #5316
Pentaxian

To continue this off-topic discussion just a little... I just looked at DPR's preview of the 18-35, and it appears that they agree with thephoblographer's assessment that the lens is like having a collection of primes, F1.8 primes at that.

But it is big and heavy. What to do, what to do...
07-16-2013, 11:40 PM   #5317
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by yorik Quote
To continue this off-topic discussion just a little... I just looked at DPR's preview of the 18-35, and it appears that they agree with thephoblographer's assessment that the lens is like having a collection of primes, F1.8 primes at that.

But it is big and heavy. What to do, what to do...
Depends. Do you plan on doing weddings or covering events where you can't switch lenses a lot? That's the main situation where zooms of any kind are appealing to me, but this goes double for big honking expensive zooms. I could see this lens as a great "do everything lens" for a wedding shooter (with a telephoto zoom or prime on the other body) where they can still get some nice narrow depth of field while still having the versatility of the zoom.

For going on a trip or casual shooting, though, I'd rather just take a few primes with me or pick one. The less hassle the better. But I've been preferring smaller form factor a lot lately with my OM-D so I may be biased in that direction.
07-17-2013, 08:20 PM   #5318
Pentaxian

I agree about the smaller form factor - one of the reasons I decided to try Pentax in the first place. I am not really considering the zoom for myself (I am strictly an amateur, shooting for my own pleasure). But if it's as good as they say, then for $800 you get a lot of lens(es).

But it is big and heavy.

07-17-2013, 11:38 PM   #5319
Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

I'll be getting the Sigma for my concert work. The DA*16-50 will be relegated for wet outdoor use (when I get its f***ing SDM fixed - again!). I shot a gig last Sturday with just the DA21 and FA31 and FA77, but a f/1.8 zoom would be awesome!
07-18-2013, 09:34 AM   #5320

QuoteOriginally posted by Urkeldaedalus Quote
For going on a trip or casual shooting, though, I'd rather just take a few primes with me or pick one. The less hassle the better. But I've been preferring smaller form factor a lot lately with my OM-D so I may be biased in that direction.
Same here. Something I love about primes.

That said the Sony RX1 is seriously tempting minus the price. If Sony comes out with an interchangeable lens one I might be sold.
07-22-2013, 07:30 PM - 6 Likes   #5321
Pentaxian

enjoyed me some FA77 yesterday.. One of a friend's daughter
07-24-2013, 01:36 AM   #5322

QuoteOriginally posted by todd Quote
enjoyed me some FA77 yesterday.. One of a friend's daughter
Great shot
07-26-2013, 09:50 PM - 2 Likes   #5323
Veteran Member

Few photos with limited lenses with Pentax MX. It's a mix of FA43 and FA77.

07-26-2013, 10:13 PM   #5324
Veteran Member

Photos: Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by Nuff Quote
Few photos with limited lenses with Pentax MX. It's a mix of FA43 and FA77.

Wow, what happened to that rhino?
07-26-2013, 10:37 PM - 1 Like   #5325
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by v5planet Quote
Wow, what happened to that rhino?
Apparently there's some kind of bat that eats the horn. I'm not sure how true that is, but at least he's not a poachers target any more.