Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
03-24-2014, 10:25 AM - 1 Like   #6346
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery
QuoteOriginally posted by bossa Quote
Wonderful portraits mate! I am definitely going to have to buy a FA43 after seeing these
QuoteOriginally posted by LeRolls Quote
I do appreciate the comment and I think that you will appreciate the FA43 if you end up getting it.
I am with Bossa! Very inspiring, effective use of the 43. I am closing in on the 43 as well to complete my FAL triangle.

03-24-2014, 02:53 PM - 1 Like   #6347
Veteran Member

Yeah, the special lighting involved was shoddy lighting! The conditions were all over the place in this building. My ISO range for these shots was 200-3200. The trick is to shoot in RAW and to know your way around Lightroom.

Thanks by the way! I do appreciate the comment and I think that you will appreciate the FA43 if you end up getting it. For portraits though the 77 is definitely better and I would have loved to have been able to use that lens but the conditions were simply too cramped for that focal length.
My "special lighting" question was probably meant more for the "Bang!" shot. The skin tones in that photograph are delicate whilst the color is intense and yet not overdone. People trashing the K-01 should look at these pictures and think again.

I know my way around LR5 very well but that's not the same as having a refined sensibility. Cheers.
03-24-2014, 06:00 PM - 1 Like   #6348
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by todd Quote
I am with Bossa! Very inspiring, effective use of the 43. I am closing in on the 43 as well to complete my FAL triangle.
Much gratitude for your kind words! I think you will definitely love the 43. I went the opposite way round with the 43 being my gateway into the FA Limiteds. I was originally on a two year plan to acquire the 77 and the 31 (they ain't cheap) but some deals popped up that I couldn't let pass me by. I'm glad I completed my collection early because all three lenses are fantastic!

QuoteOriginally posted by bossa Quote
My "special lighting" question was probably meant more for the "Bang!" shot. The skin tones in that photograph are delicate whilst the color is intense and yet not overdone. People trashing the K-01 should look at these pictures and think again.

I know my way around LR5 very well but that's not the same as having a refined sensibility. Cheers.
I actually feel blessed and lucky to have nailed that particular shot as well as I did. I also feel that my PP skills along with my sensibilities (as you put it) have come a long way in the last year so I think that also played a significant role as well. I agree with you about the K-01 being a very capable camera when paired with great glass. As always your kind words are appreciated!

Last edited by LeRolls; 03-24-2014 at 06:33 PM.
03-24-2014, 06:19 PM   #6349
Pentaxian

I think you will definitely love the 43
and another marvelous share! I haven't been exactly sure about how much love I will have for the 43 (on crop digital), especially compared to 31/77 but it's time that I have to kick the tires for myself. I know I will love it on film/FF so that makes the trigger easier to pull. I put the 43 to last in line because I have had cousin FA50/1.4 to tide me over whenever I've wanted that similar range. This 43 purchase will park me contently in the Wait-for-Forever-If-That's-How-Long-It-Takes-for-FF club.

03-24-2014, 07:23 PM   #6350
Pentaxian

and another marvelous share!
Thank you!

Wait-for-Forever-If-That's-How-Long-It-Takes-for-FF club.
Yeah...I'm afraid I'm in the exact same club.
03-24-2014, 08:10 PM - 1 Like   #6351
Veteran Member

FA77

03-25-2014, 06:08 AM   #6352
Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

I haven't been exactly sure about how much love I will have for the 43 (on crop digital)
You know, it's funny. The FA 43 Ltd was my first prime and--while it's certainly very fine--it's one of my least used lenses. For some reason, I find the normal-ish (40-70mm) focal lengths kind of boring. I'm talking crop digital, btw--despite my age, it's all I've ever known.
03-25-2014, 08:57 AM   #6353
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by dadipentak Quote
You know, it's funny. The FA 43 Ltd was my first prime and--while it's certainly very fine--it's one of my least used lenses. For some reason, I find the normal-ish (40-70mm) focal lengths kind of boring. I'm talking crop digital, btw--despite my age, it's all I've ever known.
I hear ya. FA50 was my first and only prime for years, so I often find that while it's in that normal range, it's also where I feel like I 'see' the best/easiest. As such I consider the 43 an upgrade and hope to have a similar experience using it as I do FA50. I use 31 and 77 so much of the time now that I'm not sure if 43 will see a lot of action after the trial period. FA50 sure doesn't these days... Again I have to admit that I am gambling a bit on a future FF here too. I really enjoy the FA31 fov on cropped sensor and want to have that on FF digital too if it ever comes...

03-25-2014, 10:34 AM   #6354
Pentaxian

FA77, used in a more pedestrian way. (Bad pun intended)

The donuts are good, but (in my humble opinion) not good enough to wait in line for an hour+. Some apparently disagree...

03-25-2014, 11:16 AM - 1 Like   #6355
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by yorik Quote
FA77, used in a more pedestrian way. (Bad pun intended)

The donuts are good, but (in my humble opinion) not good enough to wait in line for an hour+. Some apparently disagree...

Wow...those are some serious donut fanatics. They must be big step up from Dunkin.

03-25-2014, 10:15 PM   #6356
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by yorik Quote
Some apparently disagree
And I donut think you should mess with them, or their donuts.
03-26-2014, 02:08 PM   #6357
Pentaxian

I hear ya. FA50 was my first and only prime for years, so I often find that while it's in that normal range, it's also where I feel like I 'see' the best/easiest. As such I consider the 43 an upgrade and hope to have a similar experience using it as I do FA50. I use 31 and 77 so much of the time now that I'm not sure if 43 will see a lot of action after the trial period. FA50 sure doesn't these days... Again I have to admit that I am gambling a bit on a future FF here too. I really enjoy the FA31 fov on cropped sensor and want to have that on FF digital too if it ever comes...
I have 43 about 3 or 4 years and now I've got 77. So there is a chance my 43 will spend all time on a shelf now?
03-26-2014, 02:50 PM   #6358
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by VladimirYo Quote
So there is a chance my 43 will spend all time on a shelf now?
If you're like me, then yes, at least during your 77 honeymoon...
03-26-2014, 06:58 PM   #6359
Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

So there is a chance my 43 will spend all time on a shelf now?
There is (it needs the rest ;~)
03-26-2014, 09:25 PM   #6360
Veteran Member

Photos: Albums
I have 43 about 3 or 4 years and now I've got 77. So there is a chance my 43 will spend all time on a shelf now?
If you're like me, then no, your 77 will spend the most time on the shelf.