Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
05-02-2016, 09:51 AM - 1 Like   #8926
Veteran Member

LeRolls, will you get a K-1 soon ? I'm eager to see what you'll do with a K-1 and the 77.

05-02-2016, 10:00 AM   #8927
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by Glorfindelrb Quote
LeRolls, will you get a K-1 soon ? I'm eager to see what you'll do with a K-1 and the 77.
I will definitely be getting the K-1 but probably sometime around mid summer. The company I am working with says they will try and buy it for me but they can't right now. I told them I will wait till August and if they can't then I will get it myself. I already have the money put aside. I prefer to wait for them to release a couple firmware updates and fix whatever little kinks there might be before diving into FF land.

I will definitely be keeping the FA77 but am thinking of upgrading to the FA 85 1.4 soon.
05-02-2016, 12:56 PM   #8928
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by LeRolls Quote
I will definitely be getting the K-1 but probably sometime around mid summer. The company I am working with says they will try and buy it for me but they can't right now. I told them I will wait till August and if they can't then I will get it myself. I already have the money put aside. I prefer to wait for them to release a couple firmware updates and fix whatever little kinks there might be before diving into FF land.

I will definitely be keeping the FA77 but am thinking of upgrading to the FA 85 1.4 soon.
On a K-1, an FA77 or even FA85 would not give the same type of framing and perspective as the FA77 is doing right now on your APSC. You would need something like 115mm for that. Depending if you'd like the lens a bit wider or narrower the 85 could maybe fit, but you'll may very well want a 135mm lens in the end...

Also, there definitevely a moderate wide apperture tele lens on the roadmap... Could be interresting to check what it is, and what it does ! Would be likely to be an updated version of the FA*85...
05-02-2016, 02:08 PM - 1 Like   #8929
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by Nicolas06 Quote
On a K-1, an FA77 or even FA85 would not give the same type of framing and perspective as the FA77 is doing right now on your APSC. You would need something like 115mm for that. Depending if you'd like the lens a bit wider or narrower the 85 could maybe fit, but you'll may very well want a 135mm lens in the end...

Also, there definitevely a moderate wide apperture tele lens on the roadmap... Could be interresting to check what it is, and what it does ! Would be likely to be an updated version of the FA*85...
Actually, I am really looking forward to using the 77 and the 85 at their intended focal lengths since I am getting tired of standing so far away from my subjects but I love the compression so I think it'll be a win win for me.

Although something like the 135 f2 that Canon has would be a welcome addition as well for even more compression and buttery bokeh.

05-02-2016, 07:06 PM - 1 Like   #8930
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Actually, I am really looking forward to using the 77 and the 85 at their intended focal lengths since I am getting tired of standing so far away from my subjects but I love the compression so I think it'll be a win win for me.

Although something like the 135 f2 that Canon has would be a welcome addition as well for even more compression and buttery bokeh.
Indeed... I've always thought the 50mm was a nice length on APSC, but haven't been as impressed with the lenses there (though i haven't tried the DA55*). The FA77 should sparkle as the "new old" fifty.

For 135, you should really consider the samyang 135/2. It shares the top shelf now with my Zeiss 35/2 and FA77.
05-02-2016, 07:53 PM   #8931
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by jeffshaddix Quote
Indeed... I've always thought the 50mm was a nice length on APSC, but haven't been as impressed with the lenses there (though i haven't tried the DA55*). The FA77 should sparkle as the "new old" fifty.

For 135, you should really consider the samyang 135/2. It shares the top shelf now with my Zeiss 35/2 and FA77.
I've heard nothing but good things about the Samyang/Rokinon 135 but I really need AF unfortunately. Someday I may pick up the 55 but I've been spoiled by the 77 so it's hard to shoot with anything that I might perceive as being a lesser lens which is why I really want the FA 85 so much. If only the one I had received from eBay hadn't had non-functioning AF. I took a few shots before sending it back using manual focus and the bokeh was gorgeous!
05-02-2016, 10:40 PM   #8932
Veteran Member

Sure in that case you'll have a better shooting position with the 77/85... but also obviously less perspective compression than on APSC...

05-03-2016, 03:50 AM - 2 Likes   #8933
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery
A couple of shots.

Broom (with the FA 31)

Stile (with the FA 77)

05-03-2016, 04:54 AM   #8934
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Albums
Sure in that case you'll have a better shooting position with the 77/85... but also obviously less perspective compression than on APSC...
I will not get the K-1 until bugs are identified and price comes down a little. However I am already looking forward to using the 77 more often, and just hoping its unique qualities will be preserved along with a more comfortable shooting distance. In particular, it should be much easier to use indoors without having to back up the farthest wall!
05-03-2016, 11:23 AM   #8935
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by ivanvernon Quote
I will not get the K-1 until bugs are identified and price comes down a little. However I am already looking forward to using the 77 more often, and just hoping its unique qualities will be preserved along with a more comfortable shooting distance. In particular, it should be much easier to use indoors without having to back up the farthest wall!
Agreed.
05-03-2016, 01:12 PM   #8936
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by ivanvernon Quote
Yeap, we have different use, I tend to use the FA77 for more tight portrait were FA77 is a great focal length on APSC but would be too short on FF. The fact that if I decide to migrate to FF, I would have to use a much bigger 135mm lens is one to not migrate and to not want FF.

The FA77 on FF will render almost exactly like a 50mm f/1.4 is doing today on APSC. In term of deph of field and in term of perspective compression. There no real need for an FF body to get that there either the sigma 50mm, the FA43 or the DA*55 .. FA43 is viewed by many as the lens with the most interresting rendering of the FA ltd and the 55 is no slouch...

Sure I like a lot the FA77, but there no way the FA77 will render the same on FF. The perspective compression and bokeh will look different because the magnification is not the same.
05-03-2016, 02:37 PM   #8937
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Yeap, we have different use, I tend to use the FA77 for more tight portrait were FA77 is a great focal length on APSC but would be too short on FF. The fact that if I decide to migrate to FF, I would have to use a much bigger 135mm lens is one to not migrate and to not want FF.

The FA77 on FF will render almost exactly like a 50mm f/1.4 is doing today on APSC. In term of deph of field and in term of perspective compression. There no real need for an FF body to get that there either the sigma 50mm, the FA43 or the DA*55 .. FA43 is viewed by many as the lens with the most interresting rendering of the FA ltd and the 55 is no slouch...

Sure I like a lot the FA77, but there no way the FA77 will render the same on FF. The perspective compression and bokeh will look different because the magnification is not the same.
Understood. I am looking forward to seeing some postings soon with the K-1/77 combination.

On another front, the 31 is going to become more of a wide angle lens, and it will make it less of an every day option for me, although the current 31 role will be assumed by the 43 on full frame.
05-04-2016, 08:29 PM - 4 Likes   #8938
Pentaxian

FA77

05-05-2016, 12:55 AM - 1 Like   #8939
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by Rondec Quote
Broom (with the FA 31)
I have never seen such a beautiful broom pic ;-). Well captured.

FA77
Nice pics. White inner wear is bit distracting in the second one, just to my eyes though.
05-05-2016, 06:32 AM - 2 Likes   #8940
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery
Two Seats.