Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version 11974 Likes Search this Thread
08-26-2010, 02:12 AM   #1171

QuoteOriginally posted by Digitalis Quote
the bokeh of the FA77 is outstanding ( but you guys already knew that)

self portrait:
the coolest, no doubt

08-26-2010, 04:04 AM   #1172
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery | Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by DogLover Quote
Man, Digitalis, that's one of the coolest photos I've seen posted here!
Absolutley!.....with the creativity you make the limiteds even more special.
08-27-2010, 01:55 AM   #1173
Veteran Member

FA 43 @ a really dark situation

08-27-2010, 01:59 AM   #1174
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery
thanks for the compliments guys, that self portrait actually started a bit of a debate in my portraiture class. Because the image I posted is actually upside down. In the original, the image of me in the lens is upside down. I prefer the Former over the Latter...considering the way we read images it makes more sense that way.

08-27-2010, 01:28 PM   #1175
Veteran Member

Photos: Albums
henry:

really like the 2nd shot in your last post. Looks like the "grain" is a bit uniform though...did you add it in using LR3's new "film grain" simulation tool? If not still a neat treatment!! Love your shots since I can't get out and shoot anymore, well only for a while I hope...but you stuff is always nice to see.
08-27-2010, 07:20 PM   #1176
Veteran Member

Today I'm a happy member of this club! Got my first FA Limited today, the 43. Had resisted for a long time as it seemed redundant with my best lenses. Now I see it was those lenses that are redundant! :-)

Excuse my daughter's dirty face, she'll pose briefly but no way will she submit to a washcloth.

08-27-2010, 08:07 PM   #1177
Veteran Member

brecklundin, hi. This kind of "grain" is due to the ISO 1600 on my K-7.

08-27-2010, 11:20 PM   #1178
Veteran Member

Here are a few more I've done with the FA31 for newspaper stories.

08-28-2010, 04:44 AM   #1179
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by Urkeldaedalus Quote
Here are a few more I've done with the FA31 for newspaper stories.

What color space are you using to share the images?, I don't think it is sRGB, as the images look very different between color corrected Mozilla and explorer, thought you may want to know that.

But, lately my explorer is acting strangely as well, with funny fonts that do not respond to font changes , so it could be an issue at my end, so would like to know the color space.

Last edited by pcarfan; 08-28-2010 at 05:46 AM.
08-28-2010, 05:06 AM   #1180
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Original Poster
That is simply a marvelous shot Digitalis. Do you mind telling us how you set it up? Obviously your head is behind the lens, but that is all I can figure out.

NaCl(Enquiring minds would like to know)H2O
08-28-2010, 05:50 AM   #1181
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by pcarfan Quote
What color space are you using to share the images?, I don't think it is sRGB, as the images look very different between color corrected Mozilla and explorer, thought you may want to know that.

But, lately my explorer is acting strangely as well, with funny fonts that do not respond to font changes , so it could be an issue at my end, so would like to know the color space.
Hmm that is interesting. I notice that the colors are a little more subdued on my Internet Explorer as well for a few of them. My camera is set on sRGB now, but perhaps before it wasn't. Thanks for the heads up.

Update: The two at the top are sRGB. The two on the bottom are Adobe RGB.

Last edited by Urkeldaedalus; 08-28-2010 at 06:21 AM.
08-28-2010, 06:25 AM   #1182
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by NaClH2O Quote
That is simply a marvelous shot Digitalis. Do you mind telling us how you set it up? Obviously your head is behind the lens, but that is all I can figure out.

For doing a self portrait...... there's a mirror involved (check the lettering).

I'm going to try this out... but I only have an M50/1.7 so will need a longer arm, or maybe a smaller head
08-28-2010, 06:29 AM   #1183
Veteran Member

Wow excellent work Digitalis and henryjing!

A couple from my wedding i took yesterday of my wife with the FA77LTD-

The FA77 LTD really lived up to its amazing reputation yesterday, i took about 200 shots and everyone of them is a keeper.
08-28-2010, 06:40 AM   #1184
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by Urkeldaedalus Quote
Hmm that is interesting. I notice that the colors are a little more subdued on my Internet Explorer as well for a few of them. My camera is set on sRGB now, but perhaps before it wasn't. Thanks for the heads up.

Update: The two at the top are sRGB. The two on the bottom are Adobe RGB.

Yeah! I noticed it most with the last image (which is my favorite of the lot) then, it is the color space making the difference.
08-28-2010, 06:45 AM   #1185
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by NaClH2O Quote

QuoteOriginally posted by steve1307 Quote
For doing a self portrait...... there's a mirror involved (check the lettering).

I'm going to try this out... but I only have an M50/1.7 so will need a longer arm, or maybe a smaller head

correct, I used a mirror to set everything up. I also will point out that the smaller the f/stop of the lens is the closer it will have to be to the camera/mirror when you take the shot because the image in the lens will be smaller.

I did a version of this image with the new Leica noctilux 50mm f/0.95 ASPH but I needed more than two fingers to hold that monster up (at $12,000AU I really did not want to drop a lens that expensive) I liked the version with the 50mm f/1.2 because it is simply my favourite lens in my entire collection of pentax glass.

I used a Single wireless AF540FGZ flash with a sto-fen diffuser at my lower right to illuminate my face and hand. As Steve pointed out I used a mirror to align my face in the lens and I used Live view on my K-7 to check on my composition. The camera was of course tripod mounted, It only took me two frames to get it right I was most concerned about how my hand would appear. All I did in post processing was flip the image, and sharpen and convert into monochrome.