Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
03-31-2012, 02:55 AM - 3 Likes   #3826
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery
Excellent shots Ash and Simon

A few from the last week with the 31. Not been using it enough so decided to spend a few days in its company just taking shots of whatever passed in front of me. I'm enjoying it but I think I've identified the need for a 24mm prime of some sort to fill in a wee gap. The last one is a slightly different version of a previously posted one. Change my mind from day to day about pp.

I'd like to have done the butterfly from a different angle but he was a pain to try and get and at least this way you get some of the colour.

03-31-2012, 03:36 AM   #3827
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by bossa Quote
You seem to play around with the clarity slider (in reverse) a fair bit. Is this correct? If so, I'd say this shot needs less of that.. but I could easily be wrong.
It depends - sometimes more, sometimes less and sometimes left alone. Less vignetting when reduced which seems to help in the mist. I've done a few versions of this and not absolutely sure of any of them. I think a slightly wider lens and more space on the left would help.
03-31-2012, 04:48 AM   #3828
Forum Member

Photos: Albums
I'd like to share this picture. It was taken with K-5 and 77mm and what really amazes me (except the eyes) is that ISO set to 2500 here.

FA 77 at 5.6

03-31-2012, 05:58 AM   #3829
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by disya2 Quote
SO set to 2500 here.
Yeah, it's really sick what that combo can do, isn't it? Nice photo.

03-31-2012, 07:53 AM   #3830
Inactive Account

QuoteOriginally posted by ataunton Quote
Thank you. I'm quite enamored with the last pick in your previous post with the cell phone. What kind of PP did you do on that picture?
In Aperture, there is tint sliders for shadows, middle tones and highlights. In that picture the tint for shadows was set to cold colors, tint for middle tones was set to warm.
The overall image was quite dark brown from the raw file too.

You can also see it in the picture with a man walking his dog between the railways, look at the shadows in the concrete, they're cold and the rest is warm.

I do this quite often, think they call it split toning and can be done with curves to. But i find it much easier to do it with with Aperture's sliders, Lightroom has them too.

QuoteOriginally posted by TOUGEFC Quote
Recently going through some older photo's and updating them with my current bw pp.
FA77-
Amazing shot, good work.

QuoteOriginally posted by mark lj Quote
A few from the last week with the 31. Not been using it enough so decided to spend a few days in its company just taking shots of whatever passed in front of me. I'm enjoying it but I think I've identified the need for a 24mm prime of some sort to fill in a wee gap. The last one is a slightly different version of a previously posted one. Change my mind from day to day about pp.

I'd like to have done the butterfly from a different angle but he was a pain to try and get and at least this way you get some of the colour.
Great set of pictures there!
03-31-2012, 09:39 AM   #3831
Forum Member

QuoteOriginally posted by TOUGEFC Quote
Recently going through some older photo's and updating them with my current bw pp.
FA77-
Love the bw conversion. Any chance you would share your bw conversion workflow?

QuoteOriginally posted by mark lj Quote

Fantastic pictures and the butterfly image is amazing. It may not have been the preferred angle, but I think it is quite interesting,

QuoteOriginally posted by the swede Quote
In Aperture, there is tint sliders for shadows, middle tones and highlights. In that picture the tint for shadows was set to cold colors, tint for middle tones was set to warm.
The overall image was quite dark brown from the raw file too.

You can also see it in the picture with a man walking his dog between the railways, look at the shadows in the concrete, they're cold and the rest is warm.

I do this quite often, think they call it split toning and can be done with curves to. But i find it much easier to do it with with Aperture's sliders, Lightroom has them too.
Thanks for sharing! I'm definitely going to try this out.
03-31-2012, 08:17 PM   #3832
Forum Member

Played with the 31mm a bit today. Also trying out off camera flash with a set of Cactus V5 Triggers and Yongnuo flash I picked up.

03-31-2012, 09:06 PM   #3833
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery | Albums
Played with the 31mm a bit today. Also trying out off camera flash with a set of Cactus V5 Triggers and Yongnuo flash I picked up.

These are excellent shots! what did you use to diffuse the flash?
03-31-2012, 10:26 PM   #3834
Veteran Member

Photos: Albums
This page could sell some FA31s.

I'll make do with my 43 for now:

03-31-2012, 10:30 PM   #3835
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

layed with the 31mm a bit today. Also trying out off camera flash with a set of Cactus V5 Triggers and Yongnuo flash I picked up.
you certainly did a good job, all you need now is another flash for a rimlight.

False colour Infared image from IR modified K-M - FA77mm f/1.8 images from Hoya RM90 and R72 filters overlayed on a visible light image

Blue tongued Lizard - Pentax K-5 with FA77mm f/1.8 Limited - ISO 100 1/1000s @ f/1.8 - I'll admit I did enhance the colour of the eye on the lizard, the image would look odd without some orange to balance out the strong blue colour of the lizards tongue.

Last edited by Digitalis; 03-31-2012 at 10:39 PM.
03-31-2012, 11:23 PM   #3836
Forum Member

QuoteOriginally posted by Chaos_Realm Quote
These are excellent shots! what did you use to diffuse the flash?
Thank you very much. I used a shoot through umbrella set up very close.

QuoteOriginally posted by Digitalis Quote
you certainly did a good job, all you need now is another flash for a rimlight.

Blue tongued Lizard - Pentax K-5 with FA77mm f/1.8 Limited - ISO 100 1/1000s @ f/1.8 - I'll admit I did enhance the colour of the eye on the lizard, the image would look odd without some orange to balance out the strong blue colour of the lizards tongue.
Thank you. I plan to pickup another set of triggers and flash pretty soon. I wanted a chance to play with these to make sure the build quality was decent enough before ordering more. My amazon wishlist of modifiers is getting a little out of control. The lizard picture is awesome, makes me want the 77 even more.
04-01-2012, 01:54 AM   #3837
Inactive Account

Well done, very nice images!

I too have Yn560's and V5's, three flashes and four triggers. Its really fun and easy to use
04-01-2012, 09:22 AM   #3838
Forum Member

QuoteOriginally posted by the swede Quote
Well done, very nice images!

I too have Yn560's and V5's, three flashes and four triggers. Its really fun and easy to use
Thank you for the compliment. For the price, I'm impressed with the V5's and YN560's. They are very easy to use and reliable. Highly recommend them for anyone looking to get into strobist stuff, but don't want to spend SB-800/Pocket Wizard type money. Thanks again for the split toning tip. Tried it out on a bunch of pictures yesterday, including those two.
04-01-2012, 07:17 PM   #3839
Veteran Member

I highly recommend the YN560 and V5 combo too. I was surprised how easy manual flash was to use to get the exact results I want. Especially after all the scaremongering and the need for PTTL which never gets what I want. My 360fgz couldn't read my mind after all... So I've sold it for the lack of it's psychic abilities.
04-02-2012, 12:32 PM   #3840

i just got my MIJ 43mm