Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
05-03-2012, 06:42 PM   #4006
Veteran Member

Photos: Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by Sage97 Quote
I have tons more guitar glamour shots all taken by the individual luthiers.
You may be interested in this thread, https://www.pentaxforums.com/forums/general-talk/183912-guitar-musical-instru...on-thread.html

05-03-2012, 09:34 PM   #4007
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery | Albums
I wouldn't be so hard on yourself for the photos. They ate pretty good!

The LBA is a fun journey. I find I do more with it bow than the GAS. I actually have not been able to go "I could use that" for guitar stuff for almost a year.... lenses and camera gear... not so much.

You will love that fa77. I wish I got mine years ago. Its by far my fav lens.
05-03-2012, 11:07 PM   #4008
Forum Member

Photos: Gallery
Thanks. Kohei's lutherie skills are top notch. His double top and sides along with the fluted bevel make an impressive fingerstyle instrument in a dread body. I'm sure the German spruce on the Brazilian rosewood has a lot to do with it. Wait........this is not the guitar forum so I'll stop there.

I used the 43mm but please don't blame the lens. I'm still learning. I think I was in Av mode somewhere arond f9 as I was going for sharpness. I'll try some bokeh tonight so you won't have to see my carpet and bland colored walls.
Yaaay! A fellow GASer here at the PF!
Don't be so hard on yourself, in my opinion you are doing just fine. The fact that you identified something specific in your picture that you would like to improve means you are paying attention and that is a great start to getting better. Use the 'bland' colored walls to your advantage for a nice neutral background for the OOF area. The shots are beautifully sharp and I like the composition on the first two.

I'm a bass player and had to ban myself from my favorite gear forum due to GAS. It's embarrassing how many amps and cabinets I went through last year.
05-04-2012, 01:12 AM   #4009
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by ataunton Quote
Don't be so hard on yourself, in my opinion you are doing just fine. The fact that you identified something specific in your picture that you would like to improve means you are paying attention and that is a great start to getting better. Use the 'bland' colored walls to your advantage for a nice neutral background for the OOF area. The shots are beautifully sharp and I like the composition on the first two.

I'm a bass player and had to ban myself from my favorite gear forum due to GAS. It's embarrassing how many amps and cabinets I went through last year.
I'm a guitarist and the cure for me has been going into retirement from live playing for the past 2 years. Besides, I have most of what I need for recording apart from a few more acoustic instruments. I never go near music shops these days unless it's absolutely necessary.

05-04-2012, 08:19 AM   #4010
Pentaxian

mikeSF,

Are those all Benedettos? Nice guitars but they have one too many strings.
Kidding
Very nice site.

QuoteOriginally posted by riff Quote
Fantastic. I'm following it now. I'll have to take guitar pics this weekend so I can join. I'd rather post pics I took.

QuoteOriginally posted by Wired Quote
I wouldn't be so hard on yourself for the photos. They ate pretty good!

The LBA is a fun journey. I find I do more with it bow than the GAS. I actually have not been able to go "I could use that" for guitar stuff for almost a year.... lenses and camera gear... not so much.

You will love that fa77. I wish I got mine years ago. Its by far my fav lens.
Thanks Wired. PM sent. Here's hoping LBA cures GAS but either way...we're sick!
Not yet sure if I should go with the 77 first or with a wide lens like the 21 or 15. I'm reading up on them.

QuoteOriginally posted by ataunton Quote

Thanks for the encouragement. I never expected to enjoy taking pics but I sure am having fun. I'll experiment more with OOF settings against that bland background wall. I agree that forums (such as this) only worsens GAS/LBA problems. I only have 1 bass - a cheap acoustic Fender bass for recording purposes. Not the best but it gets the job done .... sometimes.

QuoteOriginally posted by bossa Quote
I'm a guitarist and the cure for me has been going into retirement from live playing for the past 2 years. Besides, I have most of what I need for recording apart from a few more acoustic instruments. I never go near music shops these days unless it's absolutely necessary.
Thanks bossa. My cure for GAS is ..... a girlfriend. Kidding....well kinda. I have a recording room at home and infact stayed up too late last night recording my 15 year old son's take on a Bruno Mars love song. I agree with you about avoiding guitar stores. You always see something that you suddenly need.
05-04-2012, 11:16 AM   #4011
Pentaxian

mikeSF,

My cure for GAS is ..... a girlfriend. Kidding....well kinda.
That's nothing, you ought to see what a WIFE can do to it...
05-04-2012, 11:31 AM   #4012
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by Jonathan Mac Quote
haha, so true. i actually have lots of guitars spread all around the house and i never take them all out at once to keep their perceived population relatively unknown.

05-04-2012, 11:33 AM   #4013
Pentaxian

mikeSF,

Are those all Benedettos? Nice guitars but they have one too many strings.
Kidding
Very nice site..
thanks. not sure specifically what pic(s) you saw, but i do own Benedettos and a couple other makes as well, all are 7-strings.
05-04-2012, 12:29 PM   #4014
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by Jonathan Mac Quote
I had one. She was truly the better half. Unfortunately, she unexpectedly passed away 11 years ago. I do have wonderful memories and best of all, our son whom I've raised solo since he was 4. In spite of my lackluster parenting, he is now a 15 year old A student who plays basketball, track and loves to play guitar and take pictures with his 40 something year old Dad.

Meanwhile, back to our regularly scheduled program - FA limited lens pictures and discussions.
05-05-2012, 09:16 AM   #4015
Veteran Member

I had one. She was truly the better half. Unfortunately, she unexpectedly passed away 11 years ago. I do have wonderful memories and best of all, our son whom I've raised solo since he was 4. In spite of my lackluster parenting, he is now a 15 year old A student who plays basketball, track and loves to play guitar and take pictures with his 40 something year old Dad.

Meanwhile, back to our regularly scheduled program - FA limited lens pictures and discussions.
Sorry about your loss. You should be proud with what you've accomplished. I can't think how I would survive without my supportive wife.

She actually encourages my camera gear addiction and helps research. I banned from lenses tho.... I've been told by the wife to buy studio lights now

Gonna go shoot in the rain with my 77mm now. See you guys after lightroom!!!!
05-05-2012, 12:34 PM   #4016
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by mikeSF Quote
here is a pano using the FA77

Cataract Falls

larger version is here:
http://mikeoria.zenfolio.com/img/s1/v47/p601314446.jpg
Wow, absolutely stunning!
05-06-2012, 09:23 AM   #4017
Pentaxian

This thread has convinced me to rent a 43. So far I only own the 77.

I'd love to share a few photos, but I can never figure out how to link back to Flickr, and as I've now spent half an hour with HTML code links and regular links trying both the image and link formats with no success, I've given up.
05-06-2012, 10:20 AM   #4018
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by RubyT Quote

I'd love to share a few photos, but I can never figure out how to link back to Flickr...
05-06-2012, 10:50 AM   #4019
Pentaxian

Thank you, I will try again.

These are with the 77 and K-5.

My oldest, who only gets his hair & coloring from me:

[IMG] [/IMG]

My "older" daughter (they are twins):
[IMG] [/IMG]

Her sister:
[IMG] [/IMG]

I did rent the 31 last fall. I loved it on film, but don't shoot enough film to buy it (unless there is some kind of windfall ). So these are on film with the 31, shot with my PZ-1.

My other son:
[IMG] [/IMG]

And just to be different, not a portrait:

I hope to spend several weeks in June exploring the 43.
05-06-2012, 04:51 PM   #4020
Veteran Member

I haven't had much time for the FA Limited recently but I set aside yesterday to shoot with a couple of lenses I haven't used often enough.