Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
03-11-2014, 05:01 PM   #6271

Photos: Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by Digitalis Quote
Self portrait - FA77mm f/1.8 Limited, I'm playing a 106 year old wooden flute.
Nicely done. This is lit really well.

03-11-2014, 05:06 PM   #6272
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery
QuoteOriginally posted by Parry Quote
Well beyond the itchy stage. You did it, Sir!
I get confused when guys mention the itchy phase...I never had an itchy phase.
03-11-2014, 06:25 PM   #6273
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Self portrait - FA77mm f/1.8 Limited, I'm playing a 106 year old wooden flute.
Nice photo and flute. I'd like to know more about the flute. 106 years for wood is good, European and Boehm keying, right? Lucky guy. 1959 Haynes, here.
03-12-2014, 01:18 AM - 1 Like   #6274
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by Jacquot Quote
Nice photo and flute. I'd like to know more about the flute. 106 years for wood is good, European and Boehm keying, right?
It is a thinned cocuswood flute made by Rudall Carte - With a inline radcliffe mechanism* with a few unusual modifications: the body is a single piece, it also has a cleverly hidden split E mechanism and B-foot**. Fortunately it came with a flat pitch (A=435) head joint along with the standard sharp pitch (A=455) remarkably, it plays very well at A=440. In certain situations it has a better sound than the platinum and gold flutes I typically play on.

QuoteOriginally posted by Jacquot Quote
Lucky guy. 1959 Haynes, here.
James Galway used to play haynes flutes, my teacher swears by them. Personally, I prefer to play Altus, Muramatsu and Pearl flutes - American flutes just don't feel right to me.

* I have been looking out for a 1867 system flute - many people said they were superior to boehm flutes, but due to their mechanical complexity they were temperamental and difficult to keep in regulation. However, I'm sure with modern metallurgy and construction techniques it would be possible to create a flute with that system that doesn't have the pitfalls of its predecessors. Niobium is a good candidate, corrosion resistant and biologically inert. Niobium is a hard metal compared to silver and gold alloys which are rather soft and deform too easily. Platinum is harder than either silver or gold, it is also horrendously expensive.

**nearly 90 years before these mechanical additions became standard on modern instuments.

Last edited by Digitalis; 03-12-2014 at 03:53 AM.
03-12-2014, 09:32 PM   #6275
Pentaxian

I've been planning a shoot with a buddy/co-worker of mine for a few days now and when the time came the weather wasn't cooperating at all. I managed to grab this shot in between grey clouds and gloomy lighting. The sun peeked it's head out for a moment and we snatched the opportunity. I used a Manfrotto LED on a monopod with feet slightly out of frame to better illuminate his face which I think really helped. He was ecstatic when he saw the final finished shot which made me feel good. I really do love this lens!

FA77

Last edited by LeRolls; 03-12-2014 at 09:47 PM.
03-13-2014, 11:44 AM   #6276
Veteran Member

It is a thinned cocuswood flute made by Rudall Carte - With a inline radcliffe mechanism* with a few unusual modifications: the body is a single piece, it also has a cleverly hidden split E mechanism and B-foot**. Fortunately it came with a flat pitch (A=435) head joint along with the standard sharp pitch (A=455) remarkably, it plays very well at A=440. In certain situations it has a better sound than the platinum and gold flutes I typically play on.

James Galway used to play haynes flutes, my teacher swears by them. Personally, I prefer to play Altus, Muramatsu and Pearl flutes - American flutes just don't feel right to me.

* I have been looking out for a 1867 system flute - many people said they were superior to boehm flutes, but due to their mechanical complexity they were temperamental and difficult to keep in regulation. However, I'm sure with modern metallurgy and construction techniques it would be possible to create a flute with that system that doesn't have the pitfalls of its predecessors. Niobium is a good candidate, corrosion resistant and biologically inert. Niobium is a hard metal compared to silver and gold alloys which are rather soft and deform too easily. Platinum is harder than either silver or gold, it is also horrendously expensive.

**nearly 90 years before these mechanical additions became standard on modern instuments.
They made me play the recorder when I was five.

Still haven't given up the day job, but I should have honed those skills for when when the day job gives me up. A recorder, a pavement and a upturned hat are the future.
03-13-2014, 12:28 PM   #6277
Pentaxian

FA31

FA77

Last edited by LeRolls; 03-13-2014 at 06:27 PM.
03-13-2014, 06:06 PM   #6278
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Thanks for the information, and I will look all of this up. I don't want to hijack the thread with flutes. I've always wanted to play a wood flute to know the sound and feel. I love my Haynes, they are not easy instruments, even the best of them. I do have a good one, and chose it over an available Powell from the same period. Rampal played Haynes. I am an enthusiast, in camera terms, but for 40 years or so, and I keep at it...
03-13-2014, 06:47 PM   #6279

QuoteOriginally posted by LeRolls Quote
I've been planning a shoot with a buddy/co-worker of mine for a few days now and when the time came the weather wasn't cooperating at all. I managed to grab this shot in between grey clouds and gloomy lighting. The sun peeked it's head out for a moment and we snatched the opportunity. I used a Manfrotto LED on a monopod with feet slightly out of frame to better illuminate his face which I think really helped. He was ecstatic when he saw the final finished shot which made me feel good. I really do love this lens!

FA77

Nice shot. I have been curious about those LED panels. Do you use them often? Are they easier to use than a flash?
03-13-2014, 09:05 PM   #6280
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by pearcemi Quote
Nice shot. I have been curious about those LED panels. Do you use them often? Are they easier to use than a flash?
I have used them extensively for my still life work (quite nice for light painting during longer exposures) but on only two separate shoots involving people. I went with them instead of a standard flash system because I plan to use them for video as well but to answer your question yes I personally find them easier than a flash. I think that for wedding photography and run & gun shooting where you don't have time for setup/fine-tuning you'd still be better off with a flash. That being said I currently have two Manfrotto LEDs and have plans of picking up a third in the near future along with another Mogopod monopod with feet for use as a light stand.
03-13-2014, 11:33 PM - 1 Like   #6281

Very impressive shots LeRolls.
I just acquired a 77 from the marketplace tonight. Seriously looking forward to making use of it.
03-14-2014, 04:29 AM   #6282
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by StudentBoots Quote
Very impressive shots LeRolls.
I just acquired a 77 from the marketplace tonight. Seriously looking forward to making use of it.
Thank you kindly!

You will love the 77 for sure! I look forward to your future captures!
03-14-2014, 04:25 PM   #6283

QuoteOriginally posted by LeRolls Quote
I have used them extensively for my still life work (quite nice for light painting during longer exposures) but on only two separate shoots involving people. I went with them instead of a standard flash system because I plan to use them for video as well but to answer your question yes I personally find them easier than a flash. I think that for wedding photography and run & gun shooting where you don't have time for setup/fine-tuning you'd still be better off with a flash. That being said I currently have two Manfrotto LEDs and have plans of picking up a third in the near future along with another Mogopod monopod with feet for use as a light stand.
Thanks for the info. I might try to pick one of these up.
03-15-2014, 02:15 AM - 3 Likes   #6284
Site Supporter

Great work LeRolls!

03-15-2014, 08:01 AM - 1 Like   #6285
Veteran Member

Deimos - Great photo and great b&w conversion!