Show Printable Version Search this Thread
04-16-2019, 04:46 AM - 5 Likes   #10261
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

04-22-2019, 03:55 AM - 5 Likes   #10262
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Autumn SOOC

I rarely post SOOC (Straight Out Of Camera) shots as I enjoy the editing process and can easily see where I can improve things, but here I think demonstrates that when you get really familiar with photography (and your own camera) you can derive some very satisfactory work natively without visiting any post processing computer application. The vignette here was added via what the camera can give and is pretty limited but it'll do.

The power in this shot comes from using some off camera flash, aimed directly at the subject but passing only through a diffusion umbrella. Because the flash light is natively quite 'white' you can bump the camera's white balance up to 7500k and generate all that lovely warmth from the Autumn colours without suffering yellow sickly skin. Due to the white flash 'cooling' down the skin and bringing somewhat normal flesh tones back we get a great balance in the shot with rich colours and natural looking skin tones.

If this shot was taken with Auto White Balance it would be very dull and flat indeed.

The babe in the woods is of course my wife
04-22-2019, 04:41 PM - 3 Likes   #10263
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery
Up until the past month I've avoided even considering the "three Amigos" thinking they're really for those full-frame K-1 owners and all I have are entry level K-S2's and K-70. I've been seriously wrong. First came the FA77 about two weeks ago because I found a great deal and thought I'd try it then sell it, followed by the FA31 a couple days later and also only because it was a too-good to pass up deal. A great deal actually, and at least I could say I used to have them. Well, change of plans. With a lowly $300 camera and FA77 this past weekend. There's at least another dozen shots using that combo from Saturday equally impressive IMHO. Should'a gone this route months ago.
Attached Images
View Picture EXIF
PENTAX K-S2  Photo 
View Picture EXIF
PENTAX K-S2  Photo 

Last edited by gatorguy; 04-24-2019 at 11:58 AM.
04-22-2019, 05:07 PM   #10264
Loyal Site Supporter

Oh, and that FA31 I mentioned? Yeah that one too is now a fixture in my bag. This was from last weekend. Two great weekend shoots in a row, two of the three Amigos.

Attached Images
View Picture EXIF
PENTAX K-S2  Photo 
View Picture EXIF
PENTAX K-S2  Photo 
04-22-2019, 05:34 PM   #10265
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by gatorguy Quote
Oh, and that FA31 I mentioned? Yeah that one too is now a fixture in my bag. This was from last weekend. Two great weekend shoots in a row, two of the three Amigos.
Nice job, however I do think you're missing out slightly with these lenses by not being on FF.

I have a K-1 and KP and thus regularly interchange the FA Ltds on these lenses, so you're right in a sense that they don't have to be purely shot on FF and can do well on Crop, but when using on crop it feels like you lose context around the subject, which is one of their strengths. With the FA's you're supposed to enjoy the out of focus parts of the scene as much as the focused parts because they render that stuff so gorgeously especially when using their widest apertures or close to it. It's literally this that causes the high prices and other lenses struggle to compete. If you shot stopped down with the FA77 and DA70 it gets harder to tell which took the shot, a little like comparing the DFA50/1.4 at F8 against some other 50's, but wide open it's lights out! Night and day difference.
So when you use the FA's on crop the out of focus parts suffer a little more due to the crop sensor/framing and distance to subject stuff.

With FF you can take the same lens and stand closer to the subject and take the shot, this closeness is what drives a more pronounced bokeh effect. To get the same framing and positioning with the subject on crop (with same lens) you must stand farther back, and thus the distance between yourself and the subject has increased and therefore their bokeh is now less pronounced (behind the subject).
I hope to do a test one day to illustrate this.

I had a visitor come to my house with his FA31 and K3, he had never seen what the FA31 was like on FF and his jaw did hit the ground. For the same kinda affect you would need a 21mm/1.8 on your K70.

Mind you, when you have the FA77 sitting on the K70 it's 'like' having a 115mm Ltd on a K-1, which of course we don't have.

But your FA31 is acting more like a FA43 on your crop (46.5mm equiv FoV), and your FA43 acting more like a FA77 (64.5mm FoV).

Lenses come first, you did the right thing, I would just consider your next purchase to being a FF one, if you have the funds and can grab a used K-1 for a good price I would lean that way. A K-1 + K70 with the FA Ltds is a fantastic line up of different FoV choices.
04-22-2019, 07:27 PM   #10266
Loyal Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by BruceBanner Quote
Nice job, however I do think you're missing out slightly with these lenses by not being on FF.

I have a K-1 and KP and thus regularly interchange the FA Ltds on these lenses, so you're right in a sense that they don't have to be purely shot on FF and can do well on Crop, but when using on crop it feels like you lose context around the subject, which is one of their strengths. With the FA's you're supposed to enjoy the out of focus parts of the scene as much as the focused parts because they render that stuff so gorgeously especially when using their widest apertures or close to it. It's literally this that causes the high prices and other lenses struggle to compete. If you shot stopped down with the FA77 and DA70 it gets harder to tell which took the shot, a little like comparing the DFA50/1.4 at F8 against some other 50's, but wide open it's lights out! Night and day difference.
So when you use the FA's on crop the out of focus parts suffer a little more due to the crop sensor/framing and distance to subject stuff.

With FF you can take the same lens and stand closer to the subject and take the shot, this closeness is what drives a more pronounced bokeh effect. To get the same framing and positioning with the subject on crop (with same lens) you must stand farther back, and thus the distance between yourself and the subject has increased and therefore their bokeh is now less pronounced (behind the subject).

I had a visitor come to my house with his FA31 and K3, he had never seen what the FA31 was like on FF and his jaw did hit the ground. For the same kinda affect you would need a 21mm/1.8 on your K70.

Mind you, when you have the FA77 sitting on the K70 it's 'like' having a 115mm Ltd on a K-1, which of course we don't have.

But your FA31 is acting more like a FA43 on your crop (46.5mm equiv FoV), and your FA43 acting more like a FA77 (64.5mm FoV).

Lenses come first, you did the right thing, I would just consider your next purchase to being a FF one, if you have the funds and can grab a used K-1 for a good price I would lean that way. A K-1 + K70 with the FA Ltds is a fantastic line up of different FoV choices.
Thanks Bruce, and I'm sure you're right. Literally received another camera this evening, a KP to use alongside the K70 I already have for photoshoots. I prefer to carry two cameras rather than slow down to swap lenses.

So far I've not had any burning desire to go full-frame, pretty pleased with what I'm capturing on crop. Then again I'm selling off some extra gear I don't use, probably totals close to the price of a good used K1. Maybe I'll rent one in the next month or so before buying another camera so soon after this one.

Edit: BTW my reasoning on the 31 and 77 was pairing those with my DA*55 as a portrait set. The 31 meant for close quarters and the other two generally being the ones mounted to each of two cameras.

Last edited by gatorguy; 04-22-2019 at 08:00 PM.
04-22-2019, 09:08 PM   #10267
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by gatorguy Quote
Thanks Bruce, and I'm sure you're right. Literally received another camera this evening, a KP to use alongside the K70 I already have for photoshoots. I prefer to carry two cameras rather than slow down to swap lenses.

So far I've not had any burning desire to go full-frame, pretty pleased with what I'm capturing on crop. Then again I'm selling off some extra gear I don't use, probably totals close to the price of a good used K1. Maybe I'll rent one in the next month or so before buying another camera so soon after this one.

Edit: BTW my reasoning on the 31 and 77 was pairing those with my DA*55 as a portrait set. The 31 meant for close quarters and the other two generally being the ones mounted to each of two cameras.
I'll never forget the day I got my K-1, I slapped the DFA100 Macro onto it, took a shot and my jaw dropped. The 3d punch, subject isolation and way the bokeh resolved was just so much different on the K-1 compared to the K-50. The same could be said when I put the DA50/1.8 on the K-1 whereas previously all I knew was how it was on the K-50.

I don't know what the term is used to describe the look and feel of bokeh, and I think some reviewers miss the mark when reviewing it as well. Recently we had a 50 shoot out review, DA55* DFA50/1.4 Sammy 50 (Modern 50mm Shootout: Pentax D FA* 50mm, Samyang 50mm, Pentax DA* 55mm F1.4 Review - Introduction | PentaxForums.com Reviews), and the reviewer seemed to not really engage the bokeh quality of the DFA50, especially at it's widest apertures, it just obliterates the rest when you see it in proper images. Things change when stopped down, dramatic differences harder to see, but wide open is usually where all the 'good stuff' is (when choosing more expensive glass over their similar cheapy alternatives).
I think the FA Ltds are like this too, although not optically perfect (CA etc), wide open their bokeh does resolve a lot different to how other similar focal lengths behave, and when placing the FA's on FF then that aspect is amplified.

I think if you have the DA55* I would not bother with the FA43, you're doing the right thing, I would only sell the K70, keep the KP and use that to go towards a K-1, it's not a bad combo of cameras to have.

04-23-2019, 01:31 AM - 1 Like   #10268
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Albums

One of the greatest benefits of having the K-1 is how it lets me use the 77 in close indoors situations whereas with the K-3 I always have to back up until my back is at the wall, and I cannot frame the shot I had in mind.
04-23-2019, 01:10 PM - 1 Like   #10269
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by ivanvernon Quote
One of the greatest benefits of having the K-1 is how it lets me use the 77 in close indoors situations whereas with the K-3 I always have to back up until my back is at the wall, and I cannot frame the shot I had in mind.
Yeah, and the FoV the FA43 gives on FF is excellent, I so much prefer it to a 35mm or 50mm, definitely a nice sweet spot.
04-23-2019, 01:52 PM - 3 Likes   #10270
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery | Albums
Here is couple with FA 43

These are stitched from 2 or more images..

One frame..

Just went for evening walk with one lens and K-1. Sure love FF, sure love ability to stitch too..
04-23-2019, 02:03 PM   #10271
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by repaap Quote
Here is couple with FA 43

These are stitched from 2 or more images..

One frame..

Just went for evening walk with one lens and K-1. Sure love FF, sure love ability to stitch too..

Now these shots are very nice to see - as I'm from Roskilde, Denmark. And you shoot with a K-1 as I am (K-1 Mark II) I too have a FA 43. I must do some more shooting with that lens !
Featured is The Cathedral of Roskilde as the sun is not far from setting.
Nice shooting. Looking forward to see more - if you're still in town ;-)
04-23-2019, 02:06 PM   #10272
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery | Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by henrikpedersen33 Quote
Now these shots are very nice to see - as I'm from Roskilde, Denmark. And you shoot with a K-1 as I am (K-1 Mark II) I too have a FA 43. I must do some more shooting with that lens !
Featured is The Cathedral of Roskilde as the sun is not far from setting.
Nice shooting. Looking forward to see more - if you're still in town ;-)
There will be more. I’ll be in town for more than week FA 43 is really nice lens.

Oh, and thank you
04-24-2019, 07:14 PM - 5 Likes   #10273
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

The Summers in Autumn

Really the point of this shoot was to test ocf in Autumn without gelling, and also to test my new Vello Wireless remote for triggering.

Shot using FA77 and FA43.
04-25-2019, 05:43 AM   #10274
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

The Summers in Autumn

Really the point of this shoot was to test ocf in Autumn without gelling, and also to test my new Vello Wireless remote for triggering.

Shot using FA77 and FA43.
Great shots, beautiful family, lucky man!
04-25-2019, 05:50 AM   #10275
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Walk along Gravel Creek with FA31

The k-1 and FA 31 are nice companions for a walk in the forest.
Attached Images
View Picture EXIF
PENTAX K-1  Photo 
View Picture EXIF
PENTAX K-1  Photo 
View Picture EXIF
PENTAX K-1  Photo 
View Picture EXIF
PENTAX K-1  Photo