Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
09-15-2009, 02:31 PM   #331
Inactive Account

Photos: Gallery
QuoteOriginally posted by Urkeldaedalus Quote
Not really a fair comparison, as those pictures are so small they are difficult to compare to the larger images here where the objections you have had with the FA31 are more apparent. Further, since the apertures on most of the images are at F/8 or greater the FA35-80 will be at maximum sharpness, while most of the images you've seen in this thread from the FA31 are at F/4 or below. Still, personally, I prefer the FA31 images from a lens image quality perspective. It is true the FA35-80 pictures are generally more interesting due to the subject matter and the photographers did a good job with many of the images.
Well what can I say? Completely agree, it wasn't. Now wondering how did they manage the diffraction with smaller apertures like f/11 f/16 in digital.

Also I found more 35-80 images, and compared with the 31 ltd in the same site. I wish pics were bigger.

PENTAX Photo Gallery

Thanks much for your attention.

09-15-2009, 02:41 PM   #332
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery | Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by cbaytan Quote
Well what can I say? Completely agree, it wasn't. Now wondering how did they manage the diffraction with smaller apertures like f/11 f/16 in digital.

Also I found more 35-80 images, and compared with the 31 ltd in the same site. I wish pics were bigger.

PENTAX Photo Gallery

Thanks much for your attention.
It's a good discussion. Plus it keeps the thread on the first page!

A few full frame lenses that you could consider in this range as cheaper but still high quality alternatives to the FA31:

FA35 f/2 (compares well with FA31 from images I've seen)
FA 20 - 35 f/4
FA* 24 f/2
Those great Vivitar 28 mm lenses
09-18-2009, 05:09 AM   #333

ME Super with FA 31mm lens

09-18-2009, 05:13 AM   #334

ME Super with FA 31mm lens

09-20-2009, 06:05 PM   #335
Inactive Account

Took my 43mm out for a spin yesterday.

Bunnies & cornstalks!

Link for the https://www.pentaxforums.com/forums/pentax-slr-lens-discussion/74194-da-limited-club.html

Last edited by legacyb4; 09-22-2009 at 08:36 AM.
09-21-2009, 05:00 PM - 1 Like   #336
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

FA 77mm LTD

One from this morning:

09-21-2009, 05:16 PM   #337
Otis Memorial Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery | Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by Eaglerapids Quote
One from this morning:

And that, ladies and gentlemen, is why we buy the 77 limited!

Good work!

Steve

09-24-2009, 09:36 AM   #338
Inactive Account

An earlier shot from the 43mm...

09-24-2009, 12:27 PM   #339
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by legacyb4 Quote

If either half empty of half full its a great shot

Neil
09-24-2009, 05:09 PM   #340
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by legacyb4 Quote
Nice one. Long time since I've been to Granville Island.

Funny thing is, I can never take a picture of a glass full of beer.
09-24-2009, 06:41 PM   #341

FA 43 Ltd

I can finally post images on this thread and not just gawk at image after image of sweet orchestrated pixels.

I just got this lens and so far the only FA Ltd that i have. I hope to get the 77 Ltd in the future, but I already have the 50-135

10-05-2009, 09:35 PM   #342

FA 77mm my fave atm. something about redering with this lens. magic

FA 31mm

i really need to get a film camera body and put these babies on them, to get that awesome shallow dof and perspective.
10-06-2009, 02:52 AM   #343
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Some photos for cbaytan. The first two are at f/8, the third at f2.4, all with the 31Limited. If I remember correctly all shot with a CPL, the shutter speeds seem to agree, I just don't remember exactly what shot I put it on. I bumped vibrance and saturation just a little bit in LR2 because I'm sure some of that has been done with the zoom examples you linked to:-).

10-06-2009, 04:00 AM - 1 Like   #344
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by cbaytan Quote
And finally 31mm looked as a mediocre lens to me (in here) , no Pentax colors, not good in resolution, I am surprized, but this is the first time I am looking at ltd's pictures.
cbaytan, I had missed this post till this morning when I read it for the first time. I'll pixel peep, I admit it. How else to check for critical sharpness? I will crop a photo in a micro second to get the composition I want. Isn't this a form of pixel peeping? Especially shooting my telephotos, mainly because I can't afford the reach I need. So, to better explain myself, I will pixel peep mainly to see if I got the focus I was after (usually I manually focus and I'm constantly checking myself to see how I'm doing. I believe this has improved my manual focusing abilities, but I digress) and I will peep when I get a new lens to see what it's capable of. I like to know my equipment. I don't pixel peep countless pictures of brick walls and post threads complaining about the extreme lower right corner or some such bs about a lens compared to some other lens. How many times have anyone shown a picture of theirs to a non photographer friend and have them complain about the lower right corner? We are harsh judges here, we look at a LOT of pictures and we zoom in on all kinds of stuff a regular person never sees. This is good because it pushes us to ever improve our craft but we aren't normal, lol, I mean, seriously. Normal people look at pictures and if it strikes some chord in them, they react emotionaly and think it's a great picture and if it doesn't, they quickly skip on. They don't look at the lower right corner.
That said, I remember the first pics I took with my 31 Limited. The first one was out my back door, I had read about it's flare control so I took a pic of my neighbors RV that had the sun shining on some metal portion of it's top, there was no flare, none, damn I thought. That evening in the house I took an available light shot of Spike wide open. I had never seen bokeh so creamy and the transitions so smooth. So I zoomed into 100% and my jaw dropped, I zoomed to 200% and couldn't believe my eyes. I had never seen a lens look like that at 200%. The 77 Limited is close but I'm not prepared to say it's better. The DA* 300/4 is close but I'm not prepared to say it's better either. And the 43 is almost as close.
In my opinion your statement that the 31 Limited is not good in resolution is wrong, in fact it's resolution is incredible. It's colors are incredible. It's incredible:-). If I sound like a FA 31Limited fanboy, I am. The thing about the 31 Limited is that it doesn't just do any one thing really nice, it does everything really really nice. People are always challenging it and they should. When you claim to be on the top of the heap you are open to challenges. When you are brazen enough to charge the going rate for the 31 Limited you are open to challenges and people are going to pick at you endlessly, but the FA 31 Limited still sits on top of the heap.
10-06-2009, 05:54 AM - 1 Like   #345
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

31mm at f/8