Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version 11966 Likes Search this Thread
10-19-2009, 08:10 PM   #376
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery | Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by rparmar Quote
Very nice. lovely FA31 bokeh.

And there's the special FA43 3D rendering. Great shots!
Thanks! I'm glad I was able to highlight some of the strengths that each bring to the table. I just got the FA43 and have started playing around with it. It seems perfectly matched to the K-7's size.

10-20-2009, 10:30 AM   #377
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery
And now for something a little bit different.

10-20-2009, 12:49 PM   #378
Inactive Account

I was enjoying the posts on this forum, and particularly this thread, so much that I decided to join. The FA77 surprised me with this shot. I hope you like it too.

10-20-2009, 01:08 PM   #379
Veteran Member

Eaglerapids, rofl! explain, please

Schneider - award-winning.

10-20-2009, 01:59 PM - 1 Like   #380
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Schneider, beautiful shot and welcome!

Jay, this is a reflection shot in the river flipped vertically and processed, in LR2, to my vision of a Van Gogh, lol.
I pondered whether or not to post this but in the end I knew the 77 could withstand this small discretion. I'm sorry, I don't have a creative bone in my body but every now and then I can't keep from trying:-).

Oh, when Lightroom first introduced the clarity tool (1.4, I think?) I fell in love with it. Then minus clarity was introduced and I'm getting confused as to the timeline. It took me awhile to really discover the very interesting effects of negative clarity. I shoot my Limiteds a lot but I don't post many photos with negative clarity, I suppose because I don't want to have to explain why a Limited shot may look soft or different somehow. Also, I'm still somewhat conflicted, myself, about how I feel about some types of processing. On one hand I want my photos to look as if you're standing where I did when I took the shot, like the fog enclosed lake just above. That shot is very close to what you would have seen in my shoes that morning, the thing is I've been by that spot, probably a thousand times, and that was the only time I've ever seen that scene like it was that morning. On the other hand some shots look very cool processed to bring out some feature or the other. I was pushing things a bit on this one and wanted to see what the reactions would be in this crowd.

Last edited by Eaglerapids; 10-20-2009 at 02:23 PM.
10-21-2009, 04:34 PM   #381
Veteran Member

Photos: Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by Eaglerapids Quote
Schneider, beautiful shot and welcome!

Jay, this is a reflection shot in the river flipped vertically and processed, in LR2, to my vision of a Van Gogh, lol.
I pondered whether or not to post this but in the end I knew the 77 could withstand this small discretion. I'm sorry, I don't have a creative bone in my body but every now and then I can't keep from trying:-).

Oh, when Lightroom first introduced the clarity tool (1.4, I think?) I fell in love with it. Then minus clarity was introduced and I'm getting confused as to the timeline. It took me awhile to really discover the very interesting effects of negative clarity. I shoot my Limiteds a lot but I don't post many photos with negative clarity, I suppose because I don't want to have to explain why a Limited shot may look soft or different somehow. Also, I'm still somewhat conflicted, myself, about how I feel about some types of processing. On one hand I want my photos to look as if you're standing where I did when I took the shot, like the fog enclosed lake just above. That shot is very close to what you would have seen in my shoes that morning, the thing is I've been by that spot, probably a thousand times, and that was the only time I've ever seen that scene like it was that morning. On the other hand some shots look very cool processed to bring out some feature or the other. I was pushing things a bit on this one and wanted to see what the reactions would be in this crowd.
Thanks for that image...I like it...though the colors don't quite do it for me...still I like the idea of what you tried and I think suceeded with. I also think it screams for a Gilcee print. If you have a SmugMug (or even other similar account) the prices for a Giclee print are not awful at the account holder's cost.

To me the colors of the trees are just a bit too bright is all I see as "different" yet they are not wrong either because even interpretation will be different. Nice JOB!!

A bit OT here:
Oh, for anyone who is not clear on what a Giclee process print is...here is a Google search with the results:

giclee - Google Search

....it's an interesting process when done correctly. I have a buddy nearby who has taken to doing his own Giclee printing, he even took a course on it at Lepp Institute of Digital Imaging in Los Osos, California. I just looked and apparently The Lepp Institue is now called Light Photgraphic Workshops. Don't know if they are still offering courses in this subject but ya never know...
LIGHT Photographic Workshops - About LIGHT Photography Workshops
10-21-2009, 07:36 PM   #382
Veteran Member

From the 77/1.8, pushed a HEAP in post.

10-21-2009, 07:38 PM   #383
Veteran Member

and another

Last edited by Alfisti; 10-21-2009 at 07:39 PM. Reason: dsx
10-21-2009, 08:43 PM   #384
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Thank you Brecklundin and thanks for the link, I'd never even heard of that type print.
10-22-2009, 09:00 AM   #385
Inactive Account

I love the tulips Alfisti! And thanks for the welcome jsherman999 and Eaglerapids!
10-23-2009, 05:08 AM   #386
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by brecklundin Quote
Oh, for anyone who is not clear on what a Giclee process print
Giclee is a fancy marketing name for inkjet.
10-23-2009, 05:29 PM   #387
Veteran Member

Giclee is a fancy marketing name for inkjet.
while in essence you are correct in that an inkjet printer is used. But as with all things there is more to it than the sound-byte of "fancy marketing term for..." In this case it refers to a specific high quality printing as well as image processing processing.

Yes one can, in theory, print using your standard POS home 4-color inkjet but you won't get very high quality results but if it makes you happy then that is what is important, right? And by inference, if a giclee quality print makes another happy, then that is all that matters as well, correct? Or is there something wrong with a preference for a higher quality output?
10-24-2009, 05:18 AM   #388
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Or is there something wrong with a preference for a higher quality output?
Of course not. But there is something disingenuous in the industry adopting a fancy French term for something much much simpler.

Further, your comment implies that it's not possible to get high quality inkjet at home, but of course it is. Many fine photographers do their own print work.
10-24-2009, 07:05 AM   #389
Veteran Member

Of course not. But there is something disingenuous in the industry adopting a fancy French term for something much much simpler.

Further, your comment implies that it's not possible to get high quality inkjet at home, but of course it is. Many fine photographers do their own print work.
ahhhh...I see so perhaps you would prefer it be an Irish Gaelic word or maybe just anything but French....dude, it's just a word...life is too short.

As for the printer matter, you get what you pay for and you pay for what you can afford. Not a chance you will be able to compare a 4-color consumer grade inkjet with a professinal grade 8 or 12 color wide format printer. Now some of those tiny 4x6" or 5x7" photo printers are as good as you'll find at say, Walmart's Photo Center, which is, not great but not bad...like I wrote, as long as a person is happy with it then who cares what anyone else says.

back to enjoying the FA thread please...
10-24-2009, 09:54 AM   #390
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

ahhhh...I see so perhaps you would prefer it be an Irish Gaelic word or maybe just anything but French....dude, it's just a word...life is too short.
Oh I see, life's too short but not so short that you can't waste some bandwidth with childish insinuations.

All I did was point out that giclee = inkjet. This is a fact. Then I said some pros get great inkjet results at home. That is another fact. I made no claim about 4 colour being equal to 8 colour or anything else. Neither did I say that the word would be better in Irish. All these issues and insecurities are your own.

Meanwhile, here's the FA77.