Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version 11974 Likes Search this Thread
04-12-2010, 05:31 AM   #676
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery
QuoteOriginally posted by Blue Quote
I thought I was the only one that like the 77 hood.
Really? I would have thought it a popular design.

One of the reasons I like the Vivi Series 1 105mm macro (or Lester Dine or Kiron) is that it has a similar arrangement. No need to carry and attach a separate hood, yet it stays out of the way. But while the FA77 has a nice smooth feel and is made of metal, the Vivi is plastic and wobbly.

Pentax Limited for the win!

04-12-2010, 12:51 PM   #677
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Fooling around with the FA43 and a macro adapter:

squidlings

04-12-2010, 02:51 PM   #678
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery | Albums
Haven't posted a cat photo for a while, so I thought I could get away with this one.

FA31

04-12-2010, 06:05 PM   #679
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Now that I have been trough all of the photos posted here, all taken with FA Ltd's, I was wondering:

What "typical" views would one take "specifically" with the 43mm and 31mm Ltd's?

This may seem like an odd question, however, it would be nice to know what people here bought these Ltd's "specifically" for.

JP

04-12-2010, 06:14 PM   #680
Inactive Account

After taking tons of grey dull pics ALL WINTER, we finally have some flowers around here. FA43 wide open, and I'm looking straight up!

04-12-2010, 06:22 PM   #681
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by Urkeldaedalus Quote
Haven't posted a cat photo for a while, so I thought I could get away with this one.
"Get away" with it -- I suppose so! It's a stand-out shot. I like what the screen door does to the plant beyond. Somewhere I have that effect in one of my photos.

QuoteOriginally posted by jpzk Quote
What "typical" views would one take "specifically" with the 43mm and 31mm Ltd's?
Given the enormous variety of shots on display here, I don't think anything can be said to be "typical". But I know why I bought my FA43 (in no particular order):

1. Wanted to try a "perfect normal"
2. Incredible build
3. Great to manually focus
4. Compact and light
5. Amazing rendering
6. "Fast" for mucho light and DOF control
7. Looks great

Then I bought my FA77 specifically to do portraits of my wife. It has all the same advantages plus the longer focal. In fact she is sometimes in front of the lens, but likes being on the other side even more. Though untutored in the ways of photography, it was her favourite lens instantly. That says something to me.
04-12-2010, 06:23 PM   #682
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

door red 7

FA43

04-12-2010, 06:27 PM   #683
Inactive Account

Now that I have been trough all of the photos posted here, all taken with FA Ltd's, I was wondering:

This may seem like an odd question, however, it would be nice to know what people here bought these Ltd's "specifically" for.

JP
(The above pic is my first entry in this thread, btw. )
To answer your question, I bought mine as an 'all-around' lens. This morning I took the k2000 out when I walked my dog. I bought it because I wanted a lens that would render shots a bit different than other lenses might, whilst still keeping sharpness and clarity. I did a few polls, and boardmembers seem to agree that the 43 was in the running.
I also wanted a lens in the 35-ish range, so this is a tad long, but still within limits. (I have to take a step back ; )
04-12-2010, 07:43 PM   #684
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by Winnie Quote
(The above pic is my first entry in this thread, btw. )
To answer your question, I bought mine as an 'all-around' lens. This morning I took the k2000 out when I walked my dog. I bought it because I wanted a lens that would render shots a bit different than other lenses might, whilst still keeping sharpness and clarity. I did a few polls, and boardmembers seem to agree that the 43 was in the running.
I also wanted a lens in the 35-ish range, so this is a tad long, but still within limits. (I have to take a step back ; )
Thanks Winnie.
Glad to see that this 43mm can be used as an all-around lens. I took some pics of "faces" with the 43mm this past weekend at my son's and it seems that it could well become one favorite of minde.
However, the contrast was a bit harsh and I just realized that I should have decreased it right from within the camera settings (K20D). That made the faces rather blotchy.
I have yet to try it outside ... that should be interesting.
Cheers.
JP
04-12-2010, 07:46 PM   #685
Site Supporter

JP
I got the 77 for portraits and as a short tele. I use it for a certain type of street photography as well. If I get the 43, it will be to replace my FA 50mm f1.4 and would use it to do the same things I use the 50 for. I'd do that since I have an A 50mm f1.2.
04-13-2010, 12:55 AM   #686
Pentaxian

First of all, I opted for the FA Ltd's with a Pentax FF in mind (see how stupid people can be )
The 31 for me is the 'normal' field of view. I spent many years using a Super Takumar 50mm f1.4 as my most used lens - more than 80%.
The 31 was the best 'translation' on APS-C I could come up with. Plus of course on a FF, you would get a wonderful WA. Just see how much people enjoy the DA 21mm on APS-C, myself included.
The 43 is still usable as a normal FOV lens but a bit tight, though. Nothing wrong with that. I know some people that swear by a 60mm on FF. Some definitely preferred a 58mm over a 50mm. Me, I agree with Pentax and prefer a somewhat wider FOV as a normal lens. The 43 would have been my standard lens on a Pentax FF and no, I'm definitely done with film!
On APS-C, the 43 gets far less use. When I do use it, I'm never disappointed.
04-13-2010, 06:20 AM   #687
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by elpolodiablo Quote
Oh yes it can be removed, you just need to apply a little bit more force, it is a bit tight.

I know 43 is you baby but doing things gently is not always the way to go
Gees! Here I thought this was stuck on the lens, so I didn't try to dislodge it, so to speak, for fear of breaking something.
Anyway, nice to know that it can be removed.
Thanks for the tip!

JP
04-13-2010, 06:27 AM   #688
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by Blue Quote
I got the 77 for portraits and as a short tele. I use it for a certain type of street photography as well. If I get the 43, it will be to replace my FA 50mm f1.4 and would use it to do the same things I use the 50 for. I'd do that since I have an A 50mm f1.2.
I do have the FA50/1.4 and find it good, not excellent, but a good lens. I guess this 43Ltd will likely take over; I still have to get out there and test/try it for street stuff and other things. I am quite certain that I will like it though.
Inside shots seem to come out rather well.
For the 77Ltd, since I already own an 85/1.4, I just might wait and see what the future holds. I am quite pleased with this 85/1.4, albeit manual-focus.
Thanks for sharing.

JP
04-13-2010, 06:37 AM   #689
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by Bart Quote
First of all, I opted for the FA Ltd's with a Pentax FF in mind (see how stupid people can be )
The 31 for me is the 'normal' field of view. I spent many years using a Super Takumar 50mm f1.4 as my most used lens - more than 80%.
The 31 was the best 'translation' on APS-C I could come up with. Plus of course on a FF, you would get a wonderful WA. Just see how much people enjoy the DA 21mm on APS-C, myself included.
The 43 is still usable as a normal FOV lens but a bit tight, though. Nothing wrong with that. I know some people that swear by a 60mm on FF. Some definitely preferred a 58mm over a 50mm. Me, I agree with Pentax and prefer a somewhat wider FOV as a normal lens. The 43 would have been my standard lens on a Pentax FF and no, I'm definitely done with film!
On APS-C, the 43 gets far less use. When I do use it, I'm never disappointed.
Thanks, Bart.
The way I look at it is that the 31mm would be like a 46mm on an APS-C camera, just like my K20D/K7, and will certainly work out very well for an "all-around lens".
If Pentax ever produce a FF DSLR, at least this would also work very well as a wide angle lens, as you mention above.
I was wondering whether I made a good choice in starting to acquire a couple of FA Ltd's; to be frank, this has been a "LBA attack", and a very expensive one at that. But then, I used the 43Ltd inside and was pleased (not overwhelmed) with the results for inside shots.
Maybe it was because the contrast on faces was way too harsh, something which I wasn't expecting. I have to check the camera's contrast settings ... I assume this would have been one of the problems.

JP
04-13-2010, 04:09 PM   #690
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

For the 77Ltd, since I already own an 85/1.4, I just might wait and see what the future holds. I am quite pleased with this 85/1.4, albeit manual-focus.
If it's a Pentax 85 you have one of the only lenses that can out-do an FA77, in my limited opinion (from photos and comparisons, never having used one). But the FA77 is much smaller and goes with me everywhere, plus the AF is nice sometimes. I actually have no 85mm LBA, but might if I did studio portraits!